Black Coffee discussion

Let's Blog About It! > Roots Miniseries

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
Did you all watch the Roots Miniseries? What were your thoughts?

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 32 comments Love it. I have a really petty complaint, though. The first episode has music by Quincy Jones, and the other episodes don't. It lost a lot for me when it switched over to generic 70s TV soundtrack.

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 790 comments I liked it not loved it. I am so critical of remakes that are classics and I cant help it. I can remember as a child watching the original every year for black history month. I will say I like the fact that they modernized it for the younger generation. We have so many stories to tell that I wish hollywood would be more original and tell new stories.

I dislike the critics that say they are tired of slave movies. Its a big part of our history and it should never be forgotten

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments While I only have watched the first two episodes (recorded the other two and hopefully will watch this weekend).

I am not a fan of remakes but after my discussion with my oldest daughter - I decided to five it a try.

The remake expected my expectations - I thought it did an exceptional job and based on my grandkids reactions (they watched with parents) it did resonate better with the younger generation.

The "original" Roots is a classic and will remain and I certainly understand what a landmark achievement it is so I do not think it will be replaced but just another wonderful addition to our arsenal of historical information.

I liked that they spent more time on learning about Kunta prior to his capture to give an understanding of the circumstances.
I thought the dialogue was more cutting and while in some cases may seem to be modern but I think it does a good job of connecting the time period to a current times.

Seeing that slave patrols was one of the first "police" enforcement and the saying "you don't buy a slave, you make a slave" - definitely gives pause in seeing how the concept of slavery can be continued until today.

But lasting it is story not only of history, but the strength and bond of Black people to survive, push the envelope and to continue their traditions and love themselves and their family.

message 5: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

I give the new miniseries 3 out of 5 stars. There are things that I liked better in the original and things that I loked better in this re-imagination. For instance, I've always felt that the cast in the original was (though was great acting) wasn't well suited for the characters. I much better enjoyed the authenticity of malachi Kirby as Kunte Kinte, and Regé-Jean Page as Chicken George. Even Anika Noni Rose did a great portrayal of Kizzy and Jonathan Rhys Meyers did great as Master Tom. The cast was absolutely outstanding. I also always felt that the original version of Roots was a bit watered down but still giving the credit of Roots being one of the early perspectives of slavery . I felt this newer Roots was well-rounded with several facets.

I still enjoy a more authentic perspective when it comes to dialogue. I understand that they are trying to pull a younger crowd into the genre which is why these later slavery films have been more modernized and focuses a lot on style and music, but I miss hearing the dialect from the older slave films.

Maya
"I dislike the critics that say they are tired of slave movies. Its a big part of our history and it should never be forgotten"

I love what Jamie Foxx said about slavery films when he was promoting Django Unchained. He said something along the lines of still to this day there are 2-3 holocaust movies released each year because they want us to remember. No one ever complains about there being too many holocaust movies. But when it comes to slavery, its always people saying there are too many slavery movies and that we need to get over it and move on. He made a very valid point.

message 6: by Anastasia Kinderman (last edited Jun 03, 2016 02:26PM) (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Maya wrote: "I dislike the critics that say they are tired of slave movies."

What's ironic about that is that I've never heard anyone say that about the Holocaust....
Edit: Just read Kisha's comment and realized she made the same point lol xD

message 7: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 790 comments I'm glad I'm not the only that still will watch slave movies or tv shows. I love Underground because the focus is runaway slaves. there are so many aspects to discuss when it comes to slavery. Shaka Zulu is one of my favorites because the focus was how we lived as kings and queens before slavery. I'm looking forward to the one about nat turner called birth of nation. that one will be in theaters later this years

message 8: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Dixon | 4 comments Maya wrote: "I liked it not loved it. I am so critical of remakes that are classics and I cant help it. I can remember as a child watching the original every year for black history month. I will say I like the ..."

I agree. The original is a classic, but I found some of the changes interesting, like how Kunta Kinte was originally captured. Makes me want to go back and read the book. And as far as too many slave movies, the surface has barely been scratched. We are the only people told to "get over it". I also liked the documentary history lesson after the last episode. That was very enlightening. It may be easier to ignore the unpleasantness of this history, but that is a dis-service to the millions who endured so much. We stand on their shoulders...

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments So correct on just scratching the surface - here is an interesting article from the Smithsonian Magazine.

Studying Bacon Has Led One Smithsonian Scholar to New Insights on the Daily Life of Enslaved African-Americans

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithso...

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 32 comments The comments on this thread about scratching the surface of slavery made me think about something that happened in my classroom last year. My students were writing about putting Harriet Tubman on the $20. Most of them picked her achievements and acts of heroism as supporting reasons. A couple students talked about women and African Americans being underrepresented on currency. One student (an African American) focused on her actual experiences under slavery. At the time, I was surprised that the student wanted to focus on bad things happening to her instead of the constructive things that she did. He was not able to tell me exactly why he put that in his paper, but I could tell it was important to him.

After reading some of the comments above, I think he probably wanted to preserve history and not "get over it" as some have suggested.

message 11: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Phil wrote: "The comments on this thread about scratching the surface of slavery made me think about something that happened in my classroom last year. My students were writing about putting Harriet Tubman on t..."

I love hearing younger people's philosophy and outlook on historical events. Harriet Tubman was an outstanding remarkable and brave woman. I'm glad to see that she's finally being recognized positively. I'm loving how popular black American history has been lately on tv even though I know it's probably just a fad.

message 12: by Suzette (new)

Suzette Harrison I was skeptical, thinking "you just don't mess with classics!" and "it's already been done." But after watching the new ROOTS I must say I enjoyed it.

I liked, what felt to me like, a more African-based sensibility...or the carry-over and inclusion of culture/dance/music, etc.

Certainly, it felt more raw/modernized, but I don't have a problem with that as I think it allows access to and embracing by a new, more sophisticated generation.

message 13: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Suzette that was my thoughts as well. I hate when a classic is touched but they did it gear justice I must say.

message 14: by Suzette (last edited Jul 02, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Suzette Harrison Exactly, Kisha! But I was glad to view it yet again. I was torn as to whether or not to allow my teenagers to watch it just because of content. It's history. It's reality.Still...I'd have to be present should they watch to FF through particularly harsh scenes & for discussion's sake...

message 15: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

Did you watch underground?