Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
This topic is about The Celestine Prophecy
Book Issues > Is this a synopsis?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments I seem to remember that the synopsis text isn't supposed to read like a commercial. Which this one does. I'm not going to rewrite it, but can something be done about it?

Sandra | 22746 comments This is what is written on the back of the book and I'm not going to rewrite it either. I don't think it matters a great deal as it isn't a review or something else weird.

Just a bit of marketing strategy to make the book different.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13560 comments Something could be done about it, if someone would take the trouble to rewrite the whole thing.

Unfortunately, many book descriptions read like this, because they've been copied from back covers and of course every publisher wants to sell their book.

Personally, I've given up on doing that sort of stuff. I will delete review and praise quotes, and when I'm on the edit page I might delete a few gushy adjectives, but I won't rewrite whole descriptions. There are too many, and life's too short.

Sandra | 22746 comments Yep, exactly.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments OK, how about a compromise. Someone delete the first line in bold script. Then change "contains" to "purports to contain" in the first sentence. A band-aid solution?

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16271 comments It seems alright to me. The hype is typical of that sort of book.

message 7: by lethe (last edited Jun 03, 2016 07:46AM) (new)

lethe | 13560 comments Halvor wrote: "OK, how about a compromise. Someone delete the first line in bold script. Then change "contains" to "purports to contain" in the first sentence. A band-aid solution?"

I removed the bold and italics, but "purports to contain" sounds a bit like a value judgment to me. Plus, you would also have to add "purports to" to almost all the other verbs there.

ETA OK, I deleted the whole first sentence. But I do hope people can discern marketing language when they see it.

Halvor (Raknes) | 4772 comments Better than nothing :-)