Play Book Tag discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
June, 2016: Fantasy > The Gunslinger by Stephen King - 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2229 comments This is the first novel in Stephen King’s epic Dark Tower series and introduces the main character of the tale, known simply as “the gunslinger”. He's a mysterious cowboy-type character who is pursuing an unknown “man in black” across a barren desert. Through his encounters with the inhabitants of the desert and with Jake, the strange boy he meets later in the journey, he tells stories of the events of his past.

The Gunslinger is based loosely off of the Robert Browning poem “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came”, whose inspiration came from a line in Shakespeare's King Lear. The story is a blend of several genres: mystery, fantasy, western, post-apocalyptic, and even mythology. I found it somewhat confusing but realize it's just the first book in an epic saga. King has an amazing way of telling a story that really draws a reader in. The setting is very atmospheric and the characters are bleak. I can't say I was riveted, but I am curious enough to read the next book of the series when I get a chance. I also understand the movie starring Idris Elba as the Gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey as The Man in Black is scheduled for early 2017.

message 2: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2946 comments I've been thinking about reading this one (and the entire series) since I read Hearts in Atlantis. Apparently, there's a link between the stories. ....But I still haven't finished books from last month and the month before.

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments My boyfriend has been reading this series for a while now and loves it. I've picked it up a couple times and it always seems to be descriptions. Lots and lots of descriptions.

Also didn't know there is going to be a movie! Fun!

message 4: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 1545 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I can't say I was riveted, but I am curious enough to read the next book of the series when I get a chance

I found that the first book was basically just an intro to the series and very dull compared to the rest of it. So, if you liked it, you should be happy with the rest of it.

message 5: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I started this several years ago, but I didn't get very far. It's on my list of try-agains as I keep hearing about what a great series it is.

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments The movie isn't going to be based on the first novel though. Nobody knows which of the series it's going to be based on, but they said it wouldn't be The Gunslinger.

message 7: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments JoLene wrote: "I started this several years ago, but I didn't get very far. It's on my list of try-agains as I keep hearing about what a great series it is."

A try-again list....I like that! I'm going to make a shelf for that right now, and this one is going on it!

message 8: by anarresa (new)

anarresa | 279 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "This is the first novel in Stephen King’s epic Dark Tower series and introduces the main character of the tale, known simply as “the gunslinger”. He's a mysterious cowboy-type character who is purs..."

I adore this series and recommend it to anyone remotely interested. Once you finish The Drawing of the Three you'll have a better idea if you want to continue, it's more representative of the series, which is not for the faint of heart.
Also, multiple thousands of pages later, when King breaks into the last novel to tell you to stop reading, do try to stop. It's very hard to finish an epic satisfyingly.