Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's May 2016 reads

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Billy Martin, Baseball's Flawed Genius
by Bill Pennington (published 2015)
What an enjoyable read, especially with a new season just beginning. Martin started playing professional baseball in 1949. He was manager with the Twins, Tigers and the Yankees 3 times. He was ready to return as a Yankee manager again at the time of his death. What was very interesting was how he could "read" the opposing team's signals: a batter cleaning his cleats with the bat, touching the helmet a certain way, etc. He was also good at "seeing" what a third base coach would signal to the batter for him to hit and many more nuances of the "inside" of being a manager. So many famous names which brought to me so many memories. Martin died in an auto accident just a few feet from his home on Christmas Day 1989.

Crimson Shore by Preston & Child (2015)
Another Agent Pendergast thriller. A good read, with an unresolved ending.... to be continued.

81 Days Below Zero by Brian Murphy (nf)
On Dec. 21, 1943, an Army Air Corp. took off from Ladd Field, Alaska in a B24 bomber for test flights that were done in the freezing temperatures. The controls went haywire, the plane nose dived just above Charley River, Alaska with 4 aboard. The search area was in the wrong area and given up. He walked for days until he found an occupied cabin, rode with the owner on a dog-sled and a plane took him back to Ladd field on March 14, 1944. What I didn't know was the base was set up because the Japanese had invaded some of the Aleutian Islands and there was a probable Dutch Harbor attack planned.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments 81 Days Below Zero sounds quite interesting. I might be able to get DH to read that.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments Good month with some interesting reads. I still have my Billy's Back Tshirt from a game where he once again returned as Manager after being fired. Those were some crazy ole Yankee days.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1201 comments Brakedrum wrote: "Billy Martin, Baseball's Flawed Genius
by Bill Pennington (published 2015)
What an enjoyable read, especially with a new season just beginning. "

Good month. Will have to check out the Billy Martin book since I always enjoy a good sports bio.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Hi Lorraine!
Good month hope your reading slump is over and interesting sounding books as always for you! Is your face to face library book group reading anything interesting?
81 Days Below Zero: The Incredible Survival Story of a World War II Pilot in Alaska's Frozen Wilderness and the Billy Martin book especially (someday perhaps I will pick up one of the Preston & Child books)

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments The Alaska books does sound interesting.

message 7: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann wrote: "Hi Lorraine!
Good month hope your reading slump is over and interesting sounding books as always for you! Is your face to face library book group reading anything interesting?
[book:81 Days Below..."

I think the slump is over. My library book group has members recommend books to read. Each member then conducts the discussion. This month: Under a Flaming Sky by Daniel James Brown. This was my selection. It' about a wildfire that wiped out several small towns.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Sounds good Lorraine. I wish I had a convenient face to face group.
Brakedrum wrote: "I think the slump is over. My library book group has members recommend books to read. Each member then conducts the discussion. This month: Under a Flaming Sky by Daniel James Brown. This was my selection"