Predictions! discussion

The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo, #2)
This topic is about The Dark Prophecy
186 views
Upcoming > The Dark Prophecy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 293 (293 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
So if you've read the Hidden Oracle, you know it actually didn't end on a massive cliffhanger, but there's still a lot of things to be answered, and a lot to look forward to.
What do you think Leo and Calypso travelling with Apollo will be like? Which old characters will we see? And what is 'indiana banana'?


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments I think Calypso may bond with Apollo over the loss of their godly powers and immortality. They've both lost this and may cope with it together. Indiana banana? Could that mean Meg is in Indiana since she's kinda associated with bananas. I wonder if we'll talk to Demeter about Meg, kinda like how we talked to Hermes about Luke.
Also, does anyone have any ideas who the other two members of the Triumvirate are? So we know Nero is one, but who are the other two. The only Roman Emperors I know are Tiberius, Caligula, Augustus Caesar (original Octavian) and Julius Caesar. Any other possibilities?


message 3: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Reyna wrote: "I think Calypso may bond with Apollo over the loss of their godly powers and immortality. They've both lost this and may cope with it together. Indiana banana? Could that mean Meg is in Indiana sin..."

I actually didn't think of Meg being in Indiana, but that makes a lot of sense. And I really hope we get to meet Demeter! We only ever really talked to her in TLO, and even then not really, so it would be very interesting to finally properly meet her (every other Olympian has been pretty well explored). Also, it would be very cool to see Apollo interact with other gods. He didn't really know Rhea, so while that was awesome, I wanted him to meet someone he knew as a god.

As for the emperors... I'm not sure. I think Caligula, since from what we know he was a pretty awful emperor (cruel and he built a palace for his horse while the empire was struggling... that sounds a lot like what Nero did for his statue). So I think Caligula is definitely a possibility. As for the other one, I was actually thinking Diocletian. I know we already saw his palace in HoH, but he persecuted a lot of Christians, and that also sounds similar to Nero.

But those are just my guesses, Rick always manages to surprise us. I think Calypso bonding with Apollo would be awesome (and likely) but first they have to sort out their differences. I sense a lot of tension between them, but do we actually know the specifics of why Calypso dislikes Apollo? (I can't remember, truthfully!)


Kittycatcp | 12 comments Is anyone not sure about Caleo? I do kind of like Calypso but she did curse Annabeth just because she was the girl Percy liked (House of Hades) which is a really bitchy thing to do. Also Leo is my second favorite character (I mean like who doesn't love Leo?) but I don't think he needs a girlfriend. I think Leo needs to learn to love himself instead of being thrown a girlfriend. However I do under stand that Caleo was a big part of the Great Prophecy but couldn't have Leo done it out of friendship or the good of his heart.

With that in mind I will move onto predictions. Apollo plus Leo equals bad haikus plus stupid humor equals I would not be surprised if Calypso just jumped Festus in the middle of the book. Also I'm just going to throw this out there: Rick hasn't killed a main character in a while... I am scared. Also I agree with the Indiana Banana thing (smart catch).

Emperors - I think you guys covered most of them but I think Pompey might have a fair chance at being one of them. He wasn't exactly a bad guy in fact he was a good one, but he was easy to persuade and gave into pressure a lot soooo...

Those are my thoughts about the Dark Prophecy. I would really like to see what Rick does with Calypso.


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments I don't really blame Calypso that much cause her curse could've been those few years ago right when Percy left and she was so heartbroken I doubt she meant it. I like Caleo but it I do relate to being unsure to it at first cause I was a, erm, don't kill me but a Leyna shipper so I wasn't quite ready for Leo to be with someone that wasn't Reyna but I like it now. I believe most characters don't need to be in relationships but if that's what they want they deserve it and both Leo and Calypso want to be in relationships :)
Yeah, I don't think Rick has killed a main character since The Last Olympiam (minus Octavian but he doesn't count cause we didn't like him) so it's kinda scary to think he might in this series cause I like everyone so far
Pompey, interesting I remember reading about him. Maybe. Wasn't Marc Antony also a part of the same Triumvirate as Pompey and Ceasar? Maybe he could be too? I honestly don't know though...
Calypso seems like some kind of wild card really cause I actually don't know what she'll do and I don't know if anyone else knows either. Anyone have ideas?


message 6: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
The thing about Caleo is: I liked them in House of Hades. I thought it was awesome (though Reyna, I did ship Leyna too originally :p I still like them, but I don't really mind now). But in Blood of Olympus, I felt Caleo was too rushed (basically at the ending) and I didn't like it.
And the Hidden Oracle didn't change my mind much. While I don't blame Calypso for the curse, I think it should have at least got mentioned. I think Calypso should've explained herself, and I was disappointed none of the history/issues between Percy/Calypso came up.
For me, Caleo always felt like a fake solution to Leo's problems. The reason I support a relationship for Reyna is because she is in a good place right now, and she wants one. Leo had many issues (insecurity, seventh wheel etc.) and I feel like he's just 'solved' them because he finally got a girlfriend: but they're not really solved.
If these issues were addressed in the Dark Prophecy (I hope they are!) I'd be happy to ship Caleo again properly!
As for the emperors... I've never heard of Pompey, truthfully, but if he was part of the original triumvirate would he join another one?


Kittycatcp | 12 comments I just remembered something about the triumvirates in ancient Rome. They always seemed to end up badly and everyone ended up dead except one guy. So maybe there is going to be a battle between the triumvirate. Maybe one of them might split off and help Apollo beat the remaining two.


message 8: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Kittycatcp wrote: "I just remembered something about the triumvirates in ancient Rome. They always seemed to end up badly and everyone ended up dead except one guy. So maybe there is going to be a battle between the ..."

That's an idea! Of course it will depend on who the other two members of the triumvirate are (if the emperors are really evil it probably won't happen), but could be really cool. Having Apollo work with a Roman Emperor would be interesting to read. Especially since all the villains in HoO weren't very complex (enjoyable, but never villains that you felt sorry for or empathised with. E.g. Luke, you understood his motives, and knew he had a good side at least) so I think it could potentially be cool if that happened. We'll have to see how the series develops!


message 9: by Paridhi (new)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) You people are so intelligent! Whatever you guys said, I agree. And even more interesting, Rick said that the modern Triumvirate exists because the evil emperors forced people to worship them as gods.

And in an article I read about the worst emperors in Roman History,it said about Caligula(ranked the worst, and rightly so; I mean the horribly heinous tasks he committed, enough to give you nightmares) that he made commoners worship him as a god.

"proclaimed himself a god, dressing up as Apollo, Venus (a goddess), Mercury and Hercules"
the list is available on Listverse, so guys if you can, check it out.


message 10: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Paridhi wrote: "You people are so intelligent! Whatever you guys said, I agree. And even more interesting, Rick said that the modern Triumvirate exists because the evil emperors forced people to worship them as go..."

You've just made me 99.999% sure that Caligula is one of the triumvirate! I actually forgot about that line in The Hidden Oracle, but you're right... it would make a lot of sense if it was Caligula.
Truthfully, I would say Rick would be missing an opportunity if he didn't make Caligula one of the triumvirate (one of the reasons being because of that clear connection you discovered), but I'm sure Rick will make it good either way.
Do you think the climax to the series will be all the emperors coming together and Apollo et al having to fight them together? Or something else (like the betrayal that was mentioned earlier)?


Kittycatcp | 12 comments I also forgot about that line, but it makes me recall that Julius Caesar became a god (kind of). So maybe he has a chance of becoming one of the triumvirate. I haven't heard of Caligula, my knowledge of the Roman emperors are more of the ones during the fall of the republic, but what you guys are saying makes it seem like he has a good chance of becoming the second triumvirate.


message 12: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Kittycatcp wrote: "I also forgot about that line, but it makes me recall that Julius Caesar became a god (kind of). So maybe he has a chance of becoming one of the triumvirate. I haven't heard of Caligula, my knowled..."

That's a good point about Caesar. The thing about Caesar is, his death is so famous, I wonder how Rick would explain his 'survival'. But it would probably work... I'm not sure if Caesar was very 'evil' though-- truthfully, I don't know!

A point that has occurred to me: did Luke know his mortal backers were Roman Emperors? And also, since Luke was one of the generals of the titan's army, even if he didn't know about the Roman Emperors, he would've known about Camp Jupiter invading Mount Orthrys... so Luke would've known about roman demigods! I never really thought about that, huh.


message 13: by Paridhi (new)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) Umm, Yes. The possibility of Luke knowing is high; but if he know, then Kronos knew. And, if Kronos knew then he could have gone after Jason for that 'A HALF BLOOD OF ELDEST GODS THING'. And Luke must have known somehow all along that he was dealing with roman Emperors.


message 14: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Paridhi wrote: "Umm, Yes. The possibility of Luke knowing is high; but if he know, then Kronos knew. And, if Kronos knew then he could have gone after Jason for that 'A HALF BLOOD OF ELDEST GODS THING'. And Luke m..."

True... I'm pretty sure Kronos did know, considering he probably felt something when his throne was toppled, and Krios fought the Romans, and Krios was one of his servants. I think the reason he didn't go after Jason was because Percy was older, so Percy would turn 16 first. Pretty much the same reason Kronos focused on Percy more than Nico, I'd imagine.

I just think it's pretty cool Luke likely knew, considering I never made the connection. I hope that gets brought up in the series... If this series is going to be a 'capstone' on Percy Jackson's world, like Rick intends, it will have to tie up things from both series. So personally, I'm really excited to see things from PJO come back/be referenced or even dealt with. There weren't too many things left hanging, but there were a few. Anyone got any predictions of characters we might see return? I personally hope we see Triton, he didn't appear in HoO but his dynamic and attitude was interesting. Any others?


message 15: by Paridhi (new)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) Yes. that could be right. And guys, do you think that if in the next book Leo, Calypso and Apollo travel to California to meet Piper ,Jason and everyone from Camp Jupiter, there's a possibility we can see Grover and other satyrs, who is also in California to deal with the droughts?


message 16: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Paridhi wrote: "Yes. that could be right. And guys, do you think that if in the next book Leo, Calypso and Apollo travel to California to meet Piper ,Jason and everyone from Camp Jupiter, there's a possibility we ..."

I really hope so!! It's been so long since Grover actually played a significant role in a storyline, or interacted with any of the seven. He needs to come back, and I think he and Apollo could be a funny pairing.

I'm so glad you said that because I actually didn't make that connection. Another interesting thing would be seeing Grover at Camp Jupiter.

On the subject of Camp Jupiter, hopefully we'll get to see Frank as a praetor. Also, I really want Apollo to go to CJ, because I'm really curious how that would affect his greek/roman thing. Obviously he's mortal now, but the Roman part of him is still part of his identity? I'm just wondering how it works know he's a mortal. Does anyone have any ideas?


message 17: by Aarnav (new) - added it

Aarnav Gupta | 9 comments I'm pretty sure that all seven except Annabeth & Percy will show up in The Dark Prophecy. And as pointed out above, Grover should have a major role in the plot, along with other Satyrs. Also, I expect many more plot twists in the second sequel. I have a feel it will be something related to Reyna.


message 18: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Aarnav wrote: "I'm pretty sure that all seven except Annabeth & Percy will show up in The Dark Prophecy. And as pointed out above, Grover should have a major role in the plot, along with other Satyrs. Also, I exp..."

I agree. I can live with 5/7, especially considering we saw Percy already (but no Annabeth :( ). However, I think it is a possibility that Rick surprises us. We know they're going to Indiana (i think) and we also know Piper and Jason aren't in the same place as Frank and Hazel. So we might only see two of them (and of course Leo), depending on where the story goes.

I definitely feel Reyna will play a big part, similar to how Leo and Calypso seem to be playing major roles in the next book. I'm just not sure what her role will be anymore... I did think there would be a romance between her and Apollo, but I'm not so sure now.


message 19: by Paridhi (new)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) I know. We will see CJ in TDP. And yeah, maybe Satyrs will have a big role.
Remember Coach hedge is also there with Mellie and Chuck. Maybe we can see them too!
Also, I am so excited for the real journey *LEO VICTORY LAP WORLD TOUR*!

And, any predictions for Apollo and calypso's reason of enmity? That thing which Apollo hinted at Never ask me and all.


message 20: by Aarnav (new) - added it

Aarnav Gupta | 9 comments Since Annabeth appeared in Sword of Summer and has a major role in Hammer of Thor, I'm fine with she not appearing. And, I've been shipping Reyollo since the day Trials of Apollo was announced


message 21: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Aarnav wrote: "Since Annabeth appeared in Sword of Summer and has a major role in Hammer of Thor, I'm fine with she not appearing. And, I've been shipping Reyollo since the day Trials of Apollo was announced "

I guess, but I still want to see Annabeth interacting with Apollo and the rest of the seven, and of course more Percabeth. So while I'm enjoying seeing her in Magnus Chase, I still want to see her in ToA!

And I definitely saw Reynollo as a potential thing since the series got announced. After the first book I'm not so sure.


message 22: by Paridhi (new)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) I know. I think he'll have some petty crushes here and there. And he will continue to regret and grieve over Daphne and Hyacinth. His main motive is to become a God and of course, get rid of acne and flab xP. And one thing guys, Riordan always surprises. What if in DC we get to know that Reyna is already in a relationship. Can that happen?


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments Paridhi wrote: "I know. I think he'll have some petty crushes here and there. And he will continue to regret and grieve over Daphne and Hyacinth. His main motive is to become a God and of course, get rid of acne a..."

I totally agree except the only way we know Reyna could have a relationship is if they were in one with a mortal or another mythical creature cause like we said, demigods are not an option for her. I could see Apollo falling for her though cause she's a pretty girls so yay petty crush but then he actually sees how strong she is in adversity and maybe becomes closer friends with her and gets to know her and BAM. Together. However, I'm still 100% unsure this would happen as I feel Rick may just want to leave Reyna single for the sake of having a single character but I think it'd be possibly a big opportunity missed at seeing the huge possibility of a god/mortal relationship for the first time, and from the gods POV of all people!!!


message 24: by Aarnav (new) - added it

Aarnav Gupta | 9 comments Keeping in mind what Riordan tweeted 2-3 months back, it's highly unlikely that Reyna is in relationship. I don't remember his exact words as such, but she'll not be in relationship already.


message 25: by Paridhi (new)

Paridhi (apparitionnow) Yeah, I remember that. Someone asked Rick that who is Reyna's better half; Riordan replied on twitter that Reyna IS Reyna's better half, which, by the way is so true!


message 26: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
I agree with all of you in a weird way. I agree that a Reyna/Apollo relationship has loads of potential, like Reyna (goodreads Reyna, to be clear :P) said, but also I think it might be unlikely as it seems like he wants to keep her single... because let's face it, he has not got many other single characters. Even Tyson has a romantic interest in the form of Ella!


Reyna~I've gotta be on my own~ | 56 comments True part of me believes this series is just gonna focus more on friendship between Meg and Apollo then a romance with Apollo and maybe he will just come out of this with no romantic love interests.
Which characters in the 7 are gonna be prominent besides Leo? Percy and Annabeth are both out of the running in my opinion because they're settled, they've had their destinies and quests and are done. Leo is already in but what about Hazel, Frank, Jason, and Piper? What are they gonna be doing?


message 28: by Rahiima (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rahiima | 62 comments ...I actually thought the inclusion of daphne/hyacinthus in apollo's arc was to humanize him and offer some resolution. now, i think he's far from over them, but seeing how love is a big deal for him, i find it unlikely that his arc will culminate to more loneliness, back to where he first started. apollo could never get over them in his former state because changing and growing was never an option, but now that he's human i do think it's possible, that maybe he'd even fall in love with someone to the same degree. I have nothing against him having a love interest because of the conflict it poses and generally speaking conflict does make for compelling narratives. like someone else said, it would be a huge wasted opportunity if we didn't see an olympian/mortal relationship in the flesh, which is effectively why these stories came about. the amount of potential is mind boggling.

maybe the next books will be divided in intervals; in the first one we met nero, and in the second one we'll met the second emperor and so on. maybe we won't see camp jupiter until book three. i've always wondered how it was possible for two teenagers to manage an entire camp and city, the lack of a veteran voice in their affairs always concerned me. after learning in BoO that there were particular families who had great influence over camp jupiter/new rome, i began to wonder if the praetors were stand ins to a greater political system/symbols; puppets while the families of influence back in new rome were their masters. this might be a stretch but i think its a cool concept and would make a lot of sense. i also wonder if cults exist in new rome that worship these emperors, if their whole system is funded by the triumvirate.

as for reyna's role, since the legacy of rome rides on her shoulders alone most likely, i wonder if the triumvirate members would want her under their possession since they're trying to rebuild the roman empire. she'd be an important piece to their empire building schemes because if she were to die then rome would probably die with her. since her relatives used to live in roman spain maybe she'd be related to one of the emperors, that would be interesting.

as for any romance between them, now i'm not a shipper or anything but THO pretty much solidified their potential to me. apollo and reyna seem to be cut from the same cloth/ flip sides of the same coin. apollo is arrogant and flamboyant whereas reyna is modest and reserved. reyna has lived her entire life in reference to barriers, whether it was her being locked inside her childhood home, on circe's island, blackbeard's ship and finally CJ, while apollo spent lifetimes roaming the earth, experienced multiple different empires rise and fall, bound to nothing and despite this they have the same sense of loneliness, the same desire to love, and are tormented by the guilt of their pasts. they both use parts of their personality to mask their true feelings. you can't get two people who are so different yet so similar really, if they met i wonder if they'd recognize parts of themselves in each other. i don't think it's a coincidence that in the myths apollo is the one to cleanse those with the blood of their relatives on their hands while reyna suffers from the guilt of killing her father. for all we know they could end up being friends, but i'm really interested in their bond. my own wish would be him, meg and reyna becoming a makeshift family. beside reyna becoming a good figure for meg to look up to, maybe all three of them could overcome their parental issues together.

i wouldn't mind if rr decided to keep her single but i find it unlikely as one of his earlier book talks about toa he mentioned that reyna wanted romance because that's how he felt when he was her age. it would be a let down because of what aphrodite/piper implied. i would rather have her in a slow burning romance with apollo where we see her depression/guilt of committing patricide forming a base in their relationship over her shoved in one behind the scenes. plus it implies that she wouldn't need him in her life but would want him to be in it and that's pretty huge, especially in teenage relationships. i can't help but think there's something very fairytale-esque in a relationship forming between them.

sorry for the big wall of text but these are just the thoughts i had buzzing in my head. and seeing how everyone here has such thoughtful and detailed opinions i'd thought i'd share.


message 29: by Chiarabenvenooti (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:30AM) (new)

Chiarabenvenooti | 7 comments I'd love to see frank and hazel for obvious reasons, i felt like they weren't put to good use in BoO. It's obvious that last book and the overall series was centred around the lost hero trio, no hate to jason or piper but i have no clue where their characters could go next. their story seemed wrapped in the last series to me. i might be biased here, but i never found them that much of compelling characters to begin with. i could easily see awkward brotherly bonding between jason and apollo though. that is something I'm looking forward to.

i hope this series focuses a tad bit more on the roman side of things, which is probably why i want to see more of hazel and frank in the future again. i think its hinted that there is a darker side of things to camp jupiter eg.) infighting, executing, murder... i don't expect much but i would like this to be explored. as for any romances, i can understand fans hesitance because, damn, there was wayy to much of it in the last series. the issue with the last series was the fact that the romance took centre stage. i generally prefer the protagonist finding love along the way in the books i read, but this is an action based series, romance should only work to enrich the story rather than to bog it down. i could easily see this series being about the different types of bonds people form, familial bonds, ones of friendship and romance. the last series mostly focused on the latter, which is an issue a lot of people took to.

about the whole reyna/apollo ship, i think it makes sense from both a narrative and storytelling perspective. i find it really radical. reyna lives such a controlled and contrived lifestyle, nothing she does ever seems to come from the bottom of her heart, imagine someone like her bartering her happiness on something as dangerous and uncertain like the affections of an olympian? someone who the very act of associating with could mean death? for someone as repressed as reyna that's quite profound. plus the whole mortal/olympian dynamic is the linchpin that made her who she is, at least from a psychological perspective her entering this type of relationship is liberating, it would be like reclaiming her past and overcoming it. before, i would have preferred her to be single, but i think this would fit into the story and both their arcs quite nicely, but i'm half expecting to be surprised. i think the real problem lies in platonic/familial relationships not being given the same breadth of importance as romantic ones. i hope if rick choses to venture down this route he does things this way, especially since apollo's the main character.

and yes, reyna/apollo gives reminds me a bit of beauty and the beast, although there is something beastly and beautiful about the both of them


message 30: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Wow, thanks for your messages! You all make lots and lots of good points, so my response is probably going to be a bit jumbled
I too would love to see some more Frank and Hazel, I agree they were sort of forgotten, especially in BoO. So I think they'll be prominent.
And I agree Daphne/Hyacinthus fleshed out Apollo a lot, and so he may be ready to move on. Reyna is definitely worthy of more development and I agree putting her with Apollo is nice as the characters share more in common than you'd think.
Either way I don't think I'll mind. I'd understand if Rick made Reyna single, and if he focused on Apollo's platonic relationships it might even be refreshing (I agree that I usually like romantic development, so this might make a nice change), but I'd also like to see Apollo and Reyna's characters develop, such as in a relationship... it would open up so many possibilities.
Overall, touching on a point made, Reyna has a lot of responsibility on her shoulders, and I think no matter what I'd like to see her play a major role, in any way (along with Frank and Hazel, and I would like to see Jason and Piper because I like them, but I agree they need less character development/finishing since they got a lot of focus in HoO).


Kittycatcp | 12 comments I, honestly, don't really want Reyna in a relationship, nor do I think that Rick is going to make her have a relationship with Apollo. If they were together, it would be quite a dominating love story with Apollo being (or well was) a god, and this is a children's series not a young adult.

I also feel that Rick needs some single characters, it just makes it more realistic (like in the areas where the world is not altered by the gods existing). Not every teenage girl in this world is in a relationship no matter how much they might want to be.

If there was a romantic relationship between the two, it would open up a lot of possibilities. However Rick has made it pretty clear that the whole plot is that Apollo has to become a god again and the love story might get in the way of that and turn it into some soap opera and I like how Rick has avoided that so far.

Finally, Heroes of Olympus had a lot of couples in it and the romance was focused on quite a bit, so Rick might take break from that.

With that said (or more like written in this case) no matter how much I don't like the idea of Apollo being in a couple, I do feel like Apollo and Reyna would make a good one.


message 32: by Chiarabenvenooti (last edited Jun 22, 2016 09:15PM) (new)

Chiarabenvenooti | 7 comments oh boy, rick has really written himself into something, hasn't he? i can't really blame anyone for wanting reyna to remain single, too many times are female characters in lit defined by their relationships or other one dimensional troupes, given what reyna as a character stands for, i understand the hesitance. but i'm still kind of iffy about turning every single character into some moralistic agenda. i still think aphrodite's prophecy was too weighty of one to simply conclude with, "oh yeah, reyna needs no one." i'm looking for some resolution. however, rick does seem to be waaay too congested in the romance department. i love romance, but only when its necessary to the plot and aids in the progression of the story. this for me, is one of those few cases:

reyna is one of the few characters i want to see a romantic arc develop in. she's been starved from love since childhood, so i want to see her learn how to be affectionate, i want to see her know what it feels like to be loved. additionally, i would like to see her learn how to be dependent on others, which she has great difficulty doing. i think a romantic arc is a great place to start for her development, as i don't want to read about 'praetor reyna' anymore, i want to read about reyna the character. i'd prefer her in a relationship with apollo because of the challenges it poses not only in the sense of it being a mortal/olympian relationship but the internal conflict that would probably ensue as well. i think conflict is what brings out the best/or worst in characters and in any case i think it would be lovely to read about reyna succumbing to her internal desires, which she does a great deal suppressing.

the end goal is for apollo to return to the pantheon again- although he isn't too sure it's possible, but like riordan said in one of his interviews, its really a series about apollo questioning his immortal privileges. i don't know about you but when apollo described his "former" life as being a sham and that he lived under a false pretense for thousands of years, it was probably the most strongest and raw parts of his narration, i would be a bit sad if his arc were to conclude exactly where he started, alone and lovelorn, distracting himself with his numerous vices and watching his loved ones die all over again. i think this series is one about learning how to take risks and live life. with that, i wouldn't mind if apollo let go and allowed himself to feel love again, especially with a character like reyna. these two seriously believe nothing could ever go right for them, which makes their coupling more profound. but you're right, it does seem a bit too melodramatic, especially with apollo involved. i feel like a romance like theirs would be way better suited to YA because it would be far too complex and gritty for a middle school reading. but riordan's books seem to be treading on more darker themes as of the late. i guess why i like the potential of this ship is because i find the other ones a bit lacking in the angst department lol. at least in this case the romance wouldn't have to be instantaneous, since toa has no real time frame, reyna could be about 18/19 and be in her first relationship which is a whole lot better than the usual 13/15/16 age range. plus like someone else before said, entering into a relationship with an olympian- now ex-olympian, really- carries the understanding that both parties know it won't last, which doesn't have to be like that in this case, but it does carry the implication that reyna wouldn't need him in her life in order to be happy, which would be like a breath of fresh air while surrounded by ships that claim to be each others "true" loves. it would be great to read about two "people" who live such hinged lives under false pretences learn to be just two people together. ultimately, rick has the final say in what to do but i know either way its going to be good. romance involved or not.

although i find it unlikely that it would be devoid of it entirely since its a pentalogy.


message 33: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Actually that's a really good point... Reyna entering a relationship knowing it won't last simply to be with Apollo would be really, really different from most romances in literature right now, and if explored properly could be fascinating. And I agree, it would be different from the supposed 'true' love that every couple seem to have (ok, I love Percabeth, but even Piper and Jason or Leo and Calypso... I like them, but they fell in love very quickly).
But I agree with people who don't want another romance. Personally, I feel like Frazel shouldn't have happened. I love Frank and Hazel, and I think they're cute together, but they seem like the most unnecessary couple out of all of them. Rick could have easily kept them as friends, and it wouldn't have felt like everyone is coupling up.
I wish that had happened, because then Reyna/Apollo wouldn't be a problem, and a lot of you have raised good points about how interesting their relationship could be. Personally I want to see a god/human relationship, it's one of the obvious opportunities this series offers and it might even be a waste to not use it.
However... it's unlikely, but Rick could have Apollo enter a relationship with someone else, not Reyna, thus keeping Reyna single but still exploring a unique relationship. I feel like while it's a possibility it's unlikely though since there's been a lot of set up that would make Reyna a perfect candidate (basically her talk with Aphrodite).


message 34: by Chiarabenvenooti (last edited Jun 24, 2016 03:23AM) (new)

Chiarabenvenooti | 7 comments yes.. a tangent on the HoO ships... (minus percabeth) I understand Rick's need to pair them up quickly the books taken place in a span of a few months! i can't say much on Caleo because they were obviously created with the Trials in mind, but I do agree with the sentiments on Frazel.. wasn't Hazel only 13? As innocently cute as frazel was even I thought that was a bit leery. but i think this was what rick was going for: one greek/greek couple and one mixed couple, and finally a roman/roman couple. personally speaking, i wish he'd avoided that. instead of individual romance being focused on, i wish most of that focus was shifted on the teams dynamic. that said, frazel could've easily been a friendship and not much would've been lost.

i think that's why i'm so taken to an apollo centric romance. the sledgehammer of romantic relationships in the last series seemed so lacklustre and dry. i'm confident enough to believe that any romance in relation to apollo would be a lot more darker, given that fate itself seems to be against apollo forming a union with anyone and knowing that he broke his oath, which he said usually manifests itself in hurting the people he cares about, and takes a long time to enact itself. so i feel like there is definitely some set up in that department.

reyna for me always seemed to be more contained and mature than most of the other characters, i think the next big thing for an arc like hers is to be willing to take a big risk- something as big as well..falling in love with an immortal? what interests me in their dynamic (platonic/romantic) is their differences and similarities. i think both of them carry a tremendous amount of guilt and need to learn how to forgive themselves. essentially, i think within each other they can find an confidante, an equal. reyna doesn't need a lover, but she does need a confidante. in this fashion they're pretty atypical from most pjo/hoo ships and your typical teenage romance.

harking back to apollo's description of sally: "having the right amount of grace, compassion, and strength to approach an olympian as a companion and an equal." if rick were to do something like this, an olympian/mortal relationship, i can't really think of someone more fitting for the job other than reyna. but i also hope there would be an equal balance between romance, family and friendship. and hey, some people are speculating paolo/apollo might be a thing. regardless, i toss around this thought because reyna has always been an enigma to me, maybe this way rick could tear into her character. i can't really think of aphrodite's prophecy as a throw away line, she's the patroness of love herself, i'm certain it will come to be true at some point in the series. plus if reyna/apollo were to find different love interests, it would seem like riordan is being like: here's a boyfriend/girlfriend for you! and another one for you! he got himself into quite the pickle.

side note: i really like the moral ambiguity in the new characters (apollo, meg to name a few) and i hope it continues to be a running theme. it would be interesting if the romans were presented in a similar fashion, i'd imagine there would be a lot of people for or against the creation of a new empire. it would be really cool imo if reyna was to work for them for example, that perhaps nero et al. were somehow connected to her past.


message 35: by Rahiima (last edited Jun 24, 2016 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rahiima | 62 comments personally speaking, i wouldn't be too much of a fan of this series if it were too linear. love interest or not, I'm pretty certain that apollo/lester would have some type of mortal epiphany along the way, being surrounded by your own kids and people who genuinely like you for you and not your former status kind of warrants that. it's really your preference if you'd like to see him return to olympus or not. i like this series for the complexity and potential it offers, and i'll be a little disappointed if rick were to opt out of it because of some fans gripes. i understand where it comes from, but authors write books for themselves just as much as they do for fans, he started this series on a whim because he felt there was more story to be told, and a lot of people had complaints on that front. there's a difference between telling the story you want versus telling the one that you think your readers might like. but it is important to be realistic too.

apollo has always interested me on a mythological front, he's basically the paragon ideal for the Greek person/man, the pinnacle of masculine strength and beauty/intellect. thus, i understand some people's desire to see him bond with reyna; the narrative kind of presents her as the ideal roman person/woman. despite this, he's a tragic figure and never seems to get what he wants. a lot of classics scholars make him analogous to a rich and charming man/woman who is utterly miserable in life. one of the reasons why he can't seem to get anyone to love him permanently is because he has it all, thus needs to fail in one department: his love life. i'd think he'd have to sacrifice something huge in order to find that kind of fulfilment; immortality, probably. answering that one question above, apollo at least in greco-roman culture didn't change too much, he's basically the same in conception to the romans, but the latter added the sun to his many attributes. so i don't think he'll change at all.

what i'm interested in is cameos of artemis/leto, since he loves them above all other women and people. a check in on the hunters would also be in order, it would be funny to see thalia joke about his new look. the amazons too, we need closure, plus it would also be funny if apollo had tried to flirt with them too. + the litany of other men and women apollo tragically got romantically involved with. i really want to see how he explains himself out of those ones (coronis and cassandra especially.) it would be great to read of historical figures especially (julius caesar, cleopatra,anthony, lepidus, alexander the great etc...). this might be a whim but i really want to know how he'd answer to the orion situation, especially to the hunters/amazons because the whole situation was started by his jealousy. i'm curious on how rick will humanize him more.


message 36: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Yup, I'm definitely hoping that Artemis particularly will appear. I'm pretty sure she will at some point in the series (and I'm sure the hunters, such as Thalia, will appear too), so I look forward to that scene whenever it may come. It will be so cool to see the relationship from a mortal!Apollo perspective. Same goes with Leto, and the fact I don't think we've seen her before makes her more interesting.
And yeah, that's what I thought that Apollo wouldn't change much between greek/roman. I wonder if Roman perception of him is different though... obviously the Greeks worship him loads, but gods like Poseidon weren't very well respected by the Romans, so maybe same goes with Apollo (they prefer gods like Mars I know, so maybe).


message 37: by Rahiima (last edited Jun 27, 2016 01:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rahiima | 62 comments also, i'm pretty convinced that the limerick pertaining to apollo being driven mad in a cave is referring to the oracle of trophonius, which is also called the cave of nightmares, here's a brief description:

“After his ascent from Trophonius the inquirer is again taken in hand by the priests, who set him upon a chair called the chair of Memory, which stands not far from the shrine, and they ask of him, when seated there, all he has seen or learned. After gaining this information they then entrust him to his relatives. These lift him, paralyzed with terror and unconscious both of himself and of his surroundings, and carry him to the building where he lodged before with Good Fortune and the Good Spirit. Afterwards, however, he will recover all his faculties, and the power to laugh will return to him.”

it's described as a "transformative" experience, and when its all over the person who sought out the oracle forgets all about it because the sheer amount of trauma they face once consulting it. there's a lot more info about this online. i'm assuming that this is what the title refers to, because the oracle of trophonius is described as the antithesis of the 'bright' oracle of delphi. maybe this is where the "dark prophecy" will be issued. if this is the case, i find it delightfully dark for a riordan book moreover a children's series. it's exciting.

yeah, i was assuming that we might have a run in with the hunters since they are questing in middle america, however i find it unlikely and that maybe the author wants to save any encounter between them for later, when apollo has an even more significant change in his character, and maybe to have closure from that whole orion fiasco.

agreeing with the blurb from above, calypso is the wild card of the series, rick obviously has an arc in store for her. after all the tension between her and apollo simmers down, i hope they learn to confide in each others loss of immortality, and learn how to live life according to their own rules. i think it will do calypso a lot of good to see someone in a similar situation as her, it would help her to move on. i look forward to their interaction and hope they'll be a very good example of friendship. that being said, i don't see any romance in the next book in apollo's case aside from his reveries, i believe it's safe to say that the next book will focus on caleo, i've always thought that apollo questing with a couple, and said person in that relationship gave up immortality for love will move him, and make him feel desolate. *cough*inspire him to do the same*cough*


message 38: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Teenagedbibliophile wrote: "also, i'm pretty convinced that the limerick pertaining to apollo being driven mad in a cave is referring to the oracle of trophonius, which is also called the cave of nightmares, here's a brief de..."

Wow, that's really interesting! I knew about the oracle of trophonius being a cave because I think it was in the book, but I didn't know about it being the cave of 'nightmares'. That seems to obviously line up with driving Apollo mad, so it seems like Apollo may remember Daphne and Hyacinthus again (I'm assuming they appear in his nightmares).
Also, if it is the opposite of the bright delphi oracle, then yes, we can assume it is the main focus of the book and thus why it is called 'The Dark Prophecy'. It all fits!
As for Calypso, I agree, her and Apollo will be a very interesting pairing. We've seen Leo lots now, so maybe his character doesn't need as much development, but Calypso's definitely does (as does her relationship with Leo!)


Rahiima | 62 comments i'd prefer it if leo acted as a stalwart love interest to calypso, though i doubt it because he's a fan favourite. he still has a long way to go in terms of development, the insecurity and seventh wheel issues, so i hope that's touched upon. i can easily see him becoming a source of comic relief; calypso/leo/apollo will almost certainly have an interesting (see: wildly entertaining) dynamic.

still, i can't help but feel a little bit disappointed that leo will most likely be one of apollo's companions, when he had one of the biggest if not the biggest roles in the last series. esp. when there's a lot more newer and less developed character's that would have easily sufficed. but i do get why he chose things to be this way. leo/calypso are very fitting companions for apollo/lester.

personally, i hope his experience with the oracle doesn't revolve wholly around former lovers. the inclusion of hyacinthus/daphne in THO seemed like RR was heading to some closure with the two. apollo is far from over them, but a lot of his internal monologue about the two was centred around grieving seeking forgiveness, the latter from himself too. my hope is that his terrors focus on the people who got hurt indirectly/directly by him. e.g) the plague he brought on to the greeks, the scores of hunters/amazons that died because he prompted orion's rampage etc... him loathing the monster that he is/was. i'm a little upset with the glossing over of the marsyas myth, and i wish apollo was characterized as what he actually represented in the myths; healer and plague bringer. the one who wards off evil yet kills indiscriminately. but i understand because the author wants to make him relatable and humanize him... but it makes me wish this was YA so apollo's dual functions could be explored. i like the recent trepidation between good and evil, and the blur within its boundaries, my wish is that it would be explored in the newer character's (apollo,calypso, meg and the romans to name a few.)


message 40: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Teenagedbibliophile wrote: "i'd prefer it if leo acted as a stalwart love interest to calypso, though i doubt it because he's a fan favourite. he still has a long way to go in terms of development, the insecurity and seventh ..."

I absolutely agree with you about Leo, he has a lot of issues he has to come to terms with, but I feel like Rick may not address them because his relationship has somehow 'solved' all of his problems. If Rick addresses his issues, great, but if they're just brushed away... I agree, what is the point of Leo? He did get the biggest role (of the new characters at least, he and Percy may be tied) in the last series, so why is he the one we now need to spend the most time with?

I agree when you say his experience with the oracle won't revolve around Daphne and Hyacinthus. There are a lot of myths and different segments of Apollo's past to still explore, it would be a shame if we returned to the same. It did feel like Apollo had some resolution, but I expect for it still to be referenced. Apollo's characterisation going on in the series will definitely be something to watch, but I'm actually not sure what other key myths Apollo has that haven't been explored yet. Anyone have any ideas?


Rahiima | 62 comments ....unfortunately a lot of myths centred around him focus a great deal on his misfortunate love affairs. if so, i'd like to see the myths of cassandra, coronis and cyrparissus (..okay cyrparissus wasn't his fault but its a sad story.) i would like to see the authors take on it. also i'd like to see his resentment to his father explored through the cyclops/Asclepius myth and the olympian riot. perhaps his golden boy image/over achieving stems from the fact he wants his father's approval? its nice that now that he has nothing he can rethink/truly find an identity for himself not defined by his relations to his family or numerous roles.

also some of the prophecy's verses:

"westward burning"...i'm pretty sure there'll be some tragedy in store for CJ obviously, seeing how CHB was attacked. maybe this will be somehow tied back to original rome burning, rumoured to have been nero's fault, but this time in New Rome. personally, i wouldn't mind some form of tragedy, seeing how the heroes almost always nearly escape death.

"pages turning" my most obvious conclusion was the sibylline books but who knows? it could very well be something else.


message 42: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Teenagedbibliophile wrote: "....unfortunately a lot of myths centred around him focus a great deal on his misfortunate love affairs. if so, i'd like to see the myths of cassandra, coronis and cyrparissus (..okay cyrparissus w..."

Wow, you know a lot! I'm not familiar with most of those myths, but I agree that I think a lot of them come from Apollo's relationship with Zeus, even though I think it's not directly implied often. However since this is a series of Zeus punishing Apollo, I think Rick wants to explore that more.

I forgot about westward burning... that definitely seems like something to do with Camp Jupiter, but I'm hoping Rick is secretly referring to something else and is going to trick us because otherwise it seems to obvious!


message 43: by Rahiima (last edited Jul 08, 2016 03:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rahiima | 62 comments thank you <333 the author seems to base a lot of his work and characters around the myths so i look there for general directions of where the series is going to go ( although not to the T.)

so far i have 3 questions:

1.) Is Meg going to be Apollo's master for the entire series? or now that she's revealed to be a mole, will that honour go to someone else? she did renounce her role.

2.) Is the Apollo trials going to follow a herculian type pattern or does his tasks just include reclaiming his lost oracles and defeating Python?

3.) to go with q. 2) Will he regain portions of his powers with every task he completes? he seems to be a mix between human/halfblood. how will the author define his limitations?

I wonder if his time on earth will be modelled after his servitude under king Ademtus and the unnamed Trojan King? he had to build the trojan wall maybe this will confer to somewhere else? maybe at Camp Jupiter? these are wild guesses, but apollo was betrayed at the end of book 1 like he was in the myths so maybe?

a tangent on reyna's possible role, i do think she will have a big one, and i don't think the whole patricide thing was dropped only for emotional agnst and a tragic compelling backstory. its the biggest transgressions in greco-roman religion:

The most terrible of the family curses were those inflicted for the crimes of patricide or matricide. The ghost of the dead parent would return from the Underworld with avenging Erinyes (Furies) to haunt and drive mad the criminal child. Only through severe atonement could the wrath of the ghost and their Furies be abated.

The Erinyes were .... of vengeance for the crimes of murder and manslaughter, and of the penalties exacted thereof. They represented the power of curses cast upon a criminal by the ghost of the dead or his living relatives.

The usual punishment for murder was the payment of some recompense to the victim's family and period of exile for the criminal lasting four years. The banished murderer lay under the curse of the Erinyes until due atonement was paid and the rites of purification were completed.

To appease the wrath of the Erinyes, the murderer or killer had to undergo the rite of ritual purification, and perform some act of atonement. The Erinyes as agents of divine wrath inflicted the curse of madness upon their victims. The infliction of madness was originally associated with with the guilt and grief inspired by the [Furies] for the crime of patricide and matricide.


i got this from a website, and i can give you the link. i think its implied that reyna is being pursued by the furies, which explains her bad luck, and curse, the ghosts of her past plaguing her mind even though they're not physically there?? and apollo, having ritual purification under his domain may offer her help, thus being the person who heals her heart, in exchange for her help? theres more great info on the site. its a really cool concept, and as much as i love reyna and hate to see her suffer this makes a lot of sense? what's also very interesting is that the locale thats harbouring this type of criminal is also cursed until the criminal is brought to justice. would that mean something bad will happen to cj? i think it will regardless.

i think its exciting but a bit too dark. i'm sorry if these theories seem ridiculous.

westward burning= camp jupiter/new rome is way too obvious, but the potential is there. the series could use a bit more tragedy though. however, it probably means something else.


Kittycatcp | 12 comments So on the topic of your first question, I do believe that even though Meg has disappeared off with the evil dude, she will still play a big role in the series. It would be a little weird if she played such a large part in the first book but not so much in the rest of the books. Well I'm sure she would still play a large indirect role no matter what but I mean directly.

However to argue against what I just said (I dunno that's just what I do) there is the problem of how she and Apollo are going to reunite, and books are usually written with three main characters (Percy Grover Annabeth, Harry Hermione Ron, Minho Newt Thomas...) and there are already three characters who have taken the front stage (Leo Calypso Apollo).

Westward burning, although camp jupiter has a high chance of what that means, the ring of fire is also to the west to just put that out there.

I am also certain that Reyna is going to play a large role especially if westward burning means camp jupiter.


message 45: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Kittycatcp wrote: "So on the topic of your first question, I do believe that even though Meg has disappeared off with the evil dude, she will still play a big role in the series. It would be a little weird if she pla..."

I agree that Meg will play a big part still: her journey to going against Nero will be important I think (I also think you make a good point when you say it would simply be strange for her not to play a big role since she was in the last book so heavily).

I don't think the fact Leo and Calypso are there will clash with Meg being a main character, actually. Rick doesn't necessarily stick with three main characters (think of House of Hades, which had seven narrators, and was amazing). I don't think the 'three main characters' is a rule, because I've seen quite a few exceptions to it... though I understand if you think Rick sticks to it (he openly says in PJO three is a good number for quests) because it does happen a lot. However ToA has broken many of Rick's usual styles (eg the quest format) so this could just be another thing!

On another note, I'm not sure if Calypso and Leo will be with Apollo for the rest of the series, it could just be for the next book. That's what I assumed (and so I agree when you say Reyna is going to play a large role, maybe even accompany Apollo on a quest like Caleo are). I hadn't actually considered they might be with Apollo for the rest of the series, since usually Rick's books don't work like that.... but it makes sense? What do you guys think?


message 46: by Rahiima (last edited Jul 10, 2016 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rahiima | 62 comments i agree, the rule for 3 main characters seems rather formulaic, but imo it rears the best results. i don't want the author to bite off more than he can chew, the greatest results don't often lie in the middle of the story but in its conclusion. needless to say, i don't think its necessary to have a lot of MC's unless the author pulls a GRRM and starts killing them off. its just too much to focus on.

i think every character interaction apollo has with others is strategic. meg tests his patience, his kids humanize him in the span of a few days. what would it be like for apollo to spend a few weeks alone with an ex-immortal who gave up her immortality for love, something he finds to be unfathomable? i think his interaction with calypso will change him a lot. personally, i think the author will go for revolving main characters rather then have caleo be apollo's constant companions. it kind of seems nonsensical for leo who had dominated HoO to be a main character for the rest of the 4 books. especially after he meets jason and piper again. i don't think piper will let him out of her sight after that..

what i meant by meg was is she still going to be apollo's master? they're bonded whether they like it or not, but will someone else be given that honour? i think its kind of ridiculous to think she'd be relegated to the background after everything and her arc will obviously end in her coming to realize what a monster nero truly is. ps: i've always assumed reyna would have a big role, being that the main antagonists are undead roman emperors. its funny how nero refers to himself as the beast when the christians referred to him as the anti-christ/beast.


message 47: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Teenagedbibliophile wrote: "i agree, the rule for 3 main characters seems rather formulaic, but imo it rears the best results. i don't want the author to bite off more than he can chew, the greatest results don't often lie in..."

I agree that Meg will play a big role. She did relinquish her powers as master over Apollo (I think?) but I feel like when they reunite Apollo will want her to take up that mantle again, because he'd probably prefer it to other alternatives.

As for the rule of three MCs, I think I have to disagree with you. I've seen a lot of books where other numbers worked well: in The Hidden Oracle, there were technically only 2 (Apollo and Meg) and it worked fine. I think it should be fine if Meg joins them as long as Rick pulls it off.

However personally I don't think Meg will join them on the quest but instead Apollo will try and find her and see her: I think her proper redemption and rejoining of Apollo's team fully will come later, maybe in the third book (though this is simply speculating). I also agree about Caleo being with Apollo for one book only. It seems to make the most sense?


message 48: by Rahiima (last edited Jul 11, 2016 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rahiima | 62 comments the hidden oracle deviated from the authors usual plot formula, in a good way, but i think this story would benefit mostly from having alternating MCs alongside apollo. that's just my opinion. theres just so many different characters that could be his potential companions, his kids for instance, that it's really hard for me to envision any permenant companion for him other then meg. but i'm probably wrong on this. however, i think this series will benefit mostly from that way, or having 2 or 4 MCs. i have faith in the author but i'm a bit leery after seeing how a few of the seven's arc wrapped up in BoO. it seems that RR works best with sets of three.

if it doesn't have alternating MC's then i'd prefer it if focused on apollo's relationships with the other main characters. i actually agree with the notion that meg would take up her role as apollo's master, aside it being for comedic effect, apollo being enslaved by a petulant twelve year old girl. she's still very much a mystery which kind of reaffirms my thoughts on although she and apollo's relationship was the most significant in THO, it was still very apollo-centric.

side note about caleo: although i don't really care for it, i understand the authors intent. leo had always felt expendable, disposable, like he really didn't belong anywhere. amongst his only living family, multiple foster families, and friends. he was always on the run. then he has a fateful encounter with calypso who feels the same isolation as him except she's kept prisoner on her island. they share a connection this way and find respite in their interactions. now, i wish this was apparent to others as it is to me but i hope we get some insightful recognition of this through apollo's perspective because he seems intuitive enough. they would've made for a very good couple had it been paced well..


message 49: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch | 248 comments Mod
Teenagedbibliophile wrote: "the hidden oracle deviated from the authors usual plot formula, in a good way, but i think this story would benefit mostly from having alternating MCs alongside apollo. that's just my opinion. ther..."

Alternating characters are the way to go, for this series at least, in my opinion. I agree when you say Meg is constant, though. The way I see it is that, the new characters that are established as important (namely Apollo and Meg) are MCs (Kayla and others weren't the main characters, in my opinion), but obviously Rick wants to use older characters. So they can be important, but not for the whole series, because it's not their series.

So while Rick wanted to show us Percy, and he had an important role, he won't be appearing in some of the other books, almost certainly. Same with Leo and Calypso: having them play a big role in a book is good to wrap some plot threads up, but it doesn't make sense to keep them around longer than that: at least, not to me. I'm pretty sure that's how Rick's going to play it, and it seems like it should work to me.

As for Caleo, I completely agree. The pairing was paced awfully (and I feel like Leo had other issues to resolve) but they both were good characters. And you're right in saying it makes sense for them to bond, since they're similiar. My problem is these people fell in love over the course of a few days (...) and none of their issues are addressed. Rick's pacing was particularly bad there, I think. Hopefully The Dark Prophecy can fix that!


Rahiima | 62 comments Not only that, just from a story-telling perspective having apollo have the same companions consistently? it just doesn't make that much sense, especially because apollo is a character that Rick wants to change and improve. him being stuck with the same characters doesn't make that much sense since a lot of the other newer/older characters have to potential to exert a lot of influence over his growth. every character interaction he has is purposeful, i believe.

i just realized how obvious it would've been to have assumed that Leo/Calypso were going to be his companions from the get go, and i can't believe I somehow missed it. To be fair, all heroes sent to Ogigia are exactly the type of people Calypso can't help but fall in love with. I think this flies over most peoples heads because they think that Calypso is somehow cursed to fall in love with anyone who sets foot on her island. Doesn't make for the greatest romance, however. that said, i really don't expect complex, sweeping, epic romances from this series, as I would with any book marketed MG readers. I think the closest we'd get to that is if Apollo had a romance himself. Leo is a very complicated character, probably one of the most complex characters Rick has ever written, lets just hope that being around someone as egomaniacal as Apollo will boost his self esteem.

don't get me wrong, i think of Rick as a masterful storyteller but none of his romances, especially his newer ones ever resonated with me. I was never a fan of insta-love in books, I prefer slower more nuanced development, I like to see characters grow to care for each other. sometimes the narrative calls for instant attraction but my gripe with that is it was used in too many models of relationships in this series. i guess it comes with me being way older than the books target demographic, so i find some of the relationships not genuine and believable. what i do love so far is the portrayal of apollo's relationships with hyacinthus/daphne. much more darker and grittier and fuelled by passion and desire, which really follows my thoughts on apollo having more complex relationships.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6
back to top