Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Cry, the Beloved Country
This topic is about Cry, the Beloved Country
Monthly Book Reads > June 2016- Cry the Beloved Country

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments From state of the nation

Carolien (carolien_s) I'll try and fit it in. I don't really have an excuse once my exams are finished. Been meaning to read it for years and it is actually in the bookshelf in the lounge.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments I read this in high school. It's heart wrenching and so evocative. I also worked near to Ixopo in my community service. So beautiful.

Leslie | 825 comments My library has it (both print and audio) so I will try to fit it in. Right now I am about halfway through another book from this category -- Elmer Gantry.

Leslie | 825 comments I have finished Elmer Gantry and so will be starting this is a day or two.

Carolien (carolien_s) I've finished my exams so will also make a start with this during the week.

message 7: by Leslie (last edited Jun 10, 2016 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie | 825 comments I am about a third of the way through, listening to the audiobook (narrated by Michael York). One aggravation of audiobooks is that the spelling of unfamiliar names (people and places) remains a mystery so apologies for butchering them in advance!

I was wondering if Insimango, the minister who befriends Kumalo in Johannesburg, is based upon (or inspired by) Desmond Tutu. Anyone know?

Leslie | 825 comments Having done a little basic research, it is clear that my idea is mistaken as Tutu would have been about 10years old when this was first published!

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments Hi Leslie, there were many leaders from the Anglican Church who opposed Apartheid. Many of these men were jailed or excommunicated for their defiance of the law. When I was a teen, post 1994, we had a priest who had been arrested and jailed for 10 years. He was held in a single cell and kept track of the time by listening to the weekly church bell.

Leslie | 825 comments I finished today. Overall, I liked it and think that even post-apartheid that this is a book worth reading. A bit more religion in the story than is my taste but it worked well for the plot.

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Starting today! I finally received my copy!

Comments to follow soon...

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 184 comments So this is no longer read as a setwork in government schools. That's sad

I worked in Ixopo for a while- where the book is set. Payton's description is spot on

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
I finished this book awhile ago and forgot to comment...whoops!

I don't seem to always like books set in Africa and I can't figure out why. I was a bit hesitant going in to this one, afraid of what I would find.

I ended up really loving it though. As an outsider, I thought it did a good job of conveying tensions in Africa at the time, was well-written, and was such a moving story. (I cried! :-O!)

I hope everyone else enjoyed it!

Carolien (carolien_s) I've beer reading it very slowly and am amazed by it. Some of the commentary still applies today. The author was also prescient in some of the articles written by Mr Jarvis and subsequently read by his father on the consequences of some of the decisions taken.

I've am also checking dates of certain events and then realises how early this book was really published. It's easy to read it with somebody like Nelson Mandela in mind, but he hadn't really started making his mark yet. The book applies more to some of the earlier ANC leaders like Peter Mda.