The Catholic Book Club discussion

Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
Prior Discussions > 8. Objections to Christianity

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1921 comments Mod
8. Have you ever encountered any of the objections to Christianity Timothy presented to Jude? Do you feel any of these objections are reasonable? Do you feel any of Jude’s responses were too passive, or heavy handed? If so, why? – and what might you have said to Timothy?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 709 comments Although I have been a convinced Christian for a long time, Jude's preaching and arguments made me squirm, as did Timothy's later on in the book. What reached Timothy wasn't Jude's argument but his unconditional love. What I think Jude should have done much earlier was share his own personal story of sin and redemption. There's no argument against that.
I also wondered how he and Marcus Gemp got to know each other; Gemp must also have quite a story to tell.

Gina Marinello-Sweeney John wrote: "8. Have you ever encountered any of the objections to Christianity Timothy presented to Jude? Do you feel any of these objections are reasonable? Do you feel any of Jude’s responses were too passiv..."

I felt that Jude's responses were fantastic and helped Timothy understand the faith that he would eventually embrace. He also maintained the perfect balance by not simply stopping there, but showing the path of Christ by example. His love and kindness touched Timothy's heart, whereas his theological discussions touched his mind (though you could argue that the Truth of that theology also penetrated his heart, as exemplified by the 'conversion scene'). The combined conversion of both heart and mind, in effect, changed his soul. Both served to be an important part of Timothy's faith journey.