The Catholic Book Club discussion

Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
Prior Discussions > 4. Is suffering wasted?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1903 comments Mod
4. Do you believe that there is ever an instance where suffering is wasted on mere suffering?

message 2: by Gina (last edited Jun 11, 2016 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Marinello-Sweeney I think that God can always use a difficult situation to bring good, like the way in which a beautiful rose emerges from its thorns. An unexpected moment of joy may arise from the ashes. A person can also grow spiritually through suffering, strengthening him/her as a soldier for Christ and child of God. As the individual grows closer to God through that situation, it will likely increase his humility, one of the most important aspects necessary to lead a life directed toward saintliness.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 71 comments Yes, I love Gina's answer. Without even reading the book I can join in.

As for the question, no! Never believe that! Trust me, you'll be a lot less angrier thinking you're suffering for the greater good.

Suffering is very mysterious in nature, but since Jesus suffered on the Cross, I think we all can conclude that suffering has a mystic quality we all might never fully comprehend until we journey to the next life.

Suffering is like pressure, you can become a diamond or dust (I stole that line from Disney).

Never get discouraged, my friends!

Gina Marinello-Sweeney Excellent reflection, Sarah! I completely agree.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 702 comments Whether suffering is going to be "wasted" or a part of God's greater plan for our lives depends on how we respond to it and whether we humbly seek that plan, or at least his next step for us!

John Seymour | 1903 comments Mod
Jill wrote: "Whether suffering is going to be "wasted" or a part of God's greater plan for our lives depends on how we respond to it and whether we humbly seek that plan, or at least his next step for us!"

I agree with Jill. Whether or not suffering is wasted is dependent on how we respond. But lacking perfect knowledge it is never possible for us to say whether suffering is wasted in a particular case.