Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
This topic is about The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, by Muriel Spark

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I'm reading this for Week 20 (A book with a first name in the title). Jean was my grandmother's middle name, and is also my Spider's middle name, so this was an easy choice for me. It's only 150 pages long, so I'm hoping I can knock this one over pretty quickly and get a little less far behind schedule ...

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Well, I'm finished ... it was ok.

Estelle (estelles) #25 A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you  

"Education means a leading out, from the Latin e out, and duco, I lead. Instruction is a putting in."

This is the guiding principle of Miss Jean Brodie in the Blaine School for Girls. Make no mistake; Miss Brodie views herself as an educator, not an instructor. But her execution is quite unorthodox. She gathers her "Brodie set" of six girls and proceeds to educate them while she is "in her prime" and following her own unique path in the world.

Though my career has been in the IT area, teaching is something I've done a lot of - to all age groups, small children to adults - and that I really like doing.

So what do I think of Miss Brodie? I'm a little in awe, but a little incredulous. She's scandalous, courageous and praiseworthy all in one.

I liked the book - 4 stars. Maggie Smith plays Miss Brodie in the movie version. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I do want to see the movie, if only for the wonderful Maggie Smith!