J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Favorite Mystery, Crime and Suspense tv show and movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments What are some of you favorite tv shows and movies that feature Mystery, Suspense/Romantic Suspense and Crime?

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments A old show my mom got me hooked on was definitely Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher.

I have started watching it again on Netflix and just loved it because it had the mystery/suspense but had some funny moments too.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12883 comments Mod
I will always have very fond memories of Columbo starring Peter Falk. I don't think I've ever missed a show.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments That was another one my mom really loved and I definitely thought it was really well done.

I have actually gotten into this BBC show called Death in Paradise on Netflix. I have really gotten into it.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Netflix has provided my husband and I with a plethora of mystery show options. We love the new Sherlock and recently binged through The Killing. You've also got to check out The Fall. My husband also loves Phryne Fisher Mysteries.

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1432 comments PBS had a limited run series called Bletchley Circle that was great.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments I started watching the new Sherlock too. OMG, I love the show. I have to check out more.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Maggie wrote: "PBS had a limited run series called Bletchley Circle that was great."

Oh! We've watched that, too, on Netflix! Wonderful series. Another good one is Foyle's War.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Happy Valley is another one my husband and I binged through. I remember staying up all night through the first season and then going out to breakfast before going to bed. We were that hooked and there's nothing happy about that valley.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) The X-Files.

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha DeSabia (marthamary) | 695 comments I love "Sherlock"!! My only complaint is that it is that it is so long between episodes!

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 852 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "The X-Files."

My favorite show of ALL time!

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Lauren wrote: "Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "The X-Files."

My favorite show of ALL time!"

Yes!!!

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10171 comments Mod
I watch almost no tv - but I'm writing down all these shows for the day that I have time to watch! lol

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

We watch mostly Netflix (as if you couldn't tell) and it's normally late at night. I started passively listening while my husband watched and I read. But, when they started getting interesting...

Oh! It started with Luther. Excellent show.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

*adding Luther to my list* lol

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

Fair warning...we binged that one, too:)

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Fair warning...we binged that one, too:)"

LOL! Why am I not surprised?! I'm sure if you liked it good enough to binge on it, I will too.

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm terrible that way. There's so much I want to watch but then I never make time to do it. But then every one in a while I binge watch something.

message 20: by Renegade ♥ (new)

Renegade ♥ (renegadeheart) | 709 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "*adding Luther to my list* lol"

I love Luther. It's fascinating stuff!

Like Jonetta, the hubby and I totally binged. In fact, I've watched the series twice! Even with everything else out there on my crazy huge list of shows to watch... *grin*

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments I have been binge watching the show called Numb3rs. Oh I have fallen in love with this show. Using math to help solve the crimes is just so different I got sucked in. Mind you I am terrible in math but I still love how they apply it in the show.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

I watched that show when it originally debuted! It was a favorite.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Jonetta wrote: "I watched that show when it originally debuted! It was a favorite."

I really wish I had found it sooner.

I had kinda stop watching tv for a while. When I did it was mostly food network, cooking channel, travel channel and maybe a few others but I stopped watching scripted tv shows. I hated the whole having to wait for next episode thing when it was show like these.

I started reading more and so I really didn't miss watching tv. But I have been in a slump for a few weeks and started trying shows on Netflix that I haven't before. So I am starting to give shows a chance that I haven't in a long time.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 852 comments Sbyrd wrote: "I have been binge watching the show called Numb3rs. Oh I have fallen in love with this show. Using math to help solve the crimes is just so different I got sucked in. Mind you I am terrible in math..."

Fantastic show. Loved geeky Charlie!

message 25: by SB*needs low angst books* (last edited Jun 06, 2016 06:29AM) (new)

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Lauren wrote: "Sbyrd wrote: "I have been binge watching the show called Numb3rs. Oh I have fallen in love with this show. Using math to help solve the crimes is just so different I got sucked in. Mind you I am te..."

Me too!! He is my favorite on the show. I really like Larry since I think he is really funny.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments I have started watching the show called Murdoch Mysteries. I am really really enjoying it. Looks like something else to binge watch lol.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 852 comments Sbyrd wrote: "I have started watching the show called Murdoch Mysteries. I am really really enjoying it. Looks like something else to binge watch lol."

That's a cute show.

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 759 comments I like Rizzoli and Isles based on the Tess Gerritsen books. I can't believe it's the final season already.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Foyles War, Bletchley Circle, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Inspector Lewis, Endeavor,any BBC mystery! But my all time favorite (not a mystery) is Call The Midwife, cannot get enough of it.
My only objection to these shows is that the seasons consist of maybe 3-6 episodes, then we have to wait a year or more for it to come back.
I loved The Closer, but for some reason cannot get into Major Crimes.

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina | 99 comments I tend to like mystery/procedurals on the lighter side so...

Leverage is super fun.
Death In Paradise
also Psych

But that doesn't mean I don't get into the gritty stuff...

I loved True Detective the first season.
I finally finished watching the last season of Justified
Endeavor Very clever version of Inspector Morse when he was younger.
and finally I loved the British version of Law & Order. But only until they killed off a major (favorite) character then i had to stop watching it.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Susan wrote: "Foyles War, Bletchley Circle, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Inspector Lewis, Endeavor,any BBC mystery! But my all time favorite (not a mystery) is Call The Midwife, cannot get enough of it.
My on..."

I never watched The Closer but am enjoying Major Crimes. Wonder if that makes a difference.

I'm also enjoying Murder in the First.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Tina, I am like you. I do enjoy some mysteries with a light note and I have been enjoying Death in Paradise and Psych too.

I do love a good gritty one too sometimes.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Ok, I have hulu and have started watching the show called Who the Bleep did I Marry?

It is so interesting to watch. Has anyone else seen it?

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 759 comments Sbyrd wrote: "Ok, I have hulu and have started watching the show called Who the Bleep did I Marry?

It is so interesting to watch. Has anyone else seen it?"

I've seen a few episodes. I think this was on the ID channel. I love this channel.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Paula wrote: "Sbyrd wrote: "Ok, I have hulu and have started watching the show called Who the Bleep did I Marry?

It is so interesting to watch. Has anyone else seen it?"

I've seen a few episodes. I think this..."

I am enjoying the show especially when I remember the case they are speaking of.

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 759 comments I watched Deadly Sins that I had on the DVR from last week and it had 2 cases from around my area that I remember quite well. I live in MA One was about Jerry Remy's son.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Paula wrote: "I watched Deadly Sins that I had on the DVR from last week and it had 2 cases from around my area that I remember quite well. I live in MA One was about Jerry Remy's son."

I never heard of that show. I must check into that too. I think I like when I remember cases because the show gives so much more information than just the news or newspapers. I find it interesting how they put it together and have people from the cases on the show as well.

message 38: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 759 comments They also have a program called A Crime To Remember which is about old famous crimes/murders. It's not on the air now but you can go on investigationdiscovery.com and watch full episodes. Some I've heard of but they were all interesting.

message 39: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Paula wrote: "They also have a program called A Crime To Remember which is about old famous crimes/murders. It's not on the air now but you can go on investigationdiscovery.com and watch full episodes. Some I've..."

That show has actually won an Emmy.

message 40: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 759 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Paula wrote: "They also have a program called A Crime To Remember which is about old famous crimes/murders. It's not on the air now but you can go on investigationdiscovery.com and watch full episo..."

I hadn't heard that but it's well deserved.

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love ID too. My favorite is the Lt Kenda series... My, my, my...

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Paula wrote: "They also have a program called A Crime To Remember which is about old famous crimes/murders. It's not on the air now but you can go on investigationdiscovery.com and watch full episodes. Some I've..."

Thank you Paula. I love stuff like that.

I have been hearing about this show called Penny Dreadful. Paula you made me think of it because of it dealing with thing in the past. I am don't know enough about it though but may give it a try.

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Sbyrd - it's not true to life like the shows on ID. It's very gothic (from what I've heard). I've thought about maybe seeing if my library has it on DVD yet. I love Timothy Dalton.

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 759 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I love ID too. My favorite is the Lt Kenda series... My, my, my..."

I love Lt Joe Kenda. I watch marathons of it and drive my husband crazy.

message 45: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 759 comments Sbyrd wrote: "Paula wrote: "They also have a program called A Crime To Remember which is about old famous crimes/murders. It's not on the air now but you can go on investigationdiscovery.com and watch full episo..."

I've never seen it but I read that it's been cancelled but you should be able to find it somewhere to watch.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Sbyrd - it's not true to life like the shows on ID. It's very gothic (from what I've heard). I've thought about maybe seeing if my library has it on DVD yet. I love Timothy Dalton."

Oh, thanks Kirsten. I didn't know but heard it was really good though.

SB*needs low angst books* | 860 comments Has anyone heard of or seen Stranger Things on Netflix?

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 852 comments Sbyrd wrote: "Has anyone heard of or seen Stranger Things on Netflix?"

It's amazing. Highly recommended.

message 49: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Asbury (jenb_73) | 151 comments Sbyrd wrote: "Has anyone heard of or seen Stranger Things on Netflix?"

We just watched this series a couple months ago. Hooked!! Can't wait for the next season.

Right now, we're binge watching Supernatural on Netflix.

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 852 comments Just saw the premiers for Designated Survivor, Notorious and MacGyver.

Loved the first two, but was very disappointed in the third. The guy they've cast as Macgyver is a Richard Dean Anderson lookalike but cannot act his way out of a cardboard box, and the show is all action and no story. I'm willing to give it another chance, but it has not lived up to expectations :0(

« previous 1 3