Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BotM Suggestions & Voting > Books of the Month - July 2016 Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (last edited Jun 04, 2016 02:16AM) (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
There are a few changes to the nominations this month, please read the rules before nominating!

- Nominations will be open for 24 hours and during that time we will take in as many nominations as possible.
- After 24 hours, 8 books from each genre will be chosen at random from the selection.
- Only ONE nomination per person (EITHER sci-fi OR fantasy)
- No books nominated last month may be re-nominated for July, instead you must wait until August to nominate them again.
- If books are part of a series, they must be the first, unless the group has already read the previous book(s)
- No authors nominating their own works
- No self-published or ebook only books
- Here are our previous group reads if you're unsure!
- If you were lucky enough to get a book nominated last month, please do not nominate a book again this month.
- Book nominations may be seconded in place of a suggestion, but this will count as your choice for the month. Seconded books will receive an additional chance of being selected in the randomisation process.

Our group member numbers have sky-rocketed in the last few months and we are hoping to spread the nomination chances around a bit! If there are any questions, please feel free to ask and a moderator will hopefully answer anything for you.

24 hours, starting from... Now! Go!

Sci-Fi
A Long Way To A Small Angry Planet x2
Foundation And Empire
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
Tuf Voyaging
Pawn
Mila 2.0
Steelheart
Metro 2033

Fantasy
The Amulet of Samarkand x2
Dracula x2
The Magicians x3
Leviathan
The Crimson Campaign
Red Queen
The Sword of Bedwyr
Discount Armageddon
Traitor's Blade
Steal the Sky
Cast in Shadow
The Straight Razor Cure
Legend
The Once & Future King

message 2: by Milou (new)

Milou | 486 comments Third try... Could I nominate The Amulet of Samarkand for fantasy please?

message 3: by Ryan (new)

message 4: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1840 comments Mod
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet for Sci fi please!

message 5: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Kirsty wrote: "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet for Sci fi please!"

I'm surprised to see you nominate that...

message 6: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

:D

message 7: by Cora (last edited Jun 03, 2016 03:00AM) (new)

Cora For fantasy could I nominate:

The Magicians The Magicians (The Magicians #1) by Lev Grossman by Lev Grossman

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments Leviathan by Scott Westefield in fantasy please! :D

message 9: by River (new)

River Byrne | 1 comments Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

message 10: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 79 comments Ok, I'm already having a hard time deciding what to vote for in fantasy! so many of the suggestions are already in my to-read pile

message 11: by Elma (new)

Elma (elmavz) | 21 comments The Sword of Bedwyr The Sword of Bedwyr (Crimson Shadow, #1) by R.A. Salvatore by R.A. Salvatore for fantasy, please.

message 12: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 18 comments second The Magicians

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma | 51 comments Milou wrote: "Third try... Could I nominate The Amulet of Samarkand for fantasy please?"

I second Amulet of Samarkand.

message 14: by Li (new)

Li | 7 comments Ooo third vote for the magicians

message 15: by Li (new)

Li | 7 comments And do androids dream of electric sheep as another suggestion as am trying to get through some classics :)

message 16: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
As people are seconding I will throw a second behind Kirstys nomination of Long Way to a Small angry Planet. I nominated it in February so would love to see it win

message 17: by Li (new)

Li | 7 comments Sorry about the double vote I misread the rules and I can't work out If I could delete my first comment naughty new person that I am

message 18: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Haha Li. No probs.

If you want to second a book already that's fine but it means you can't nominate another.

message 19: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Nice one Paul!!

message 20: by Li (new)

Li | 7 comments Yeah that's fine so my vote is towards the magicians just to clarify :)

message 21: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
No worries. Might have read a positive review somewhere

message 22: by NoWhereMan (new)

NoWhereMan | 1 comments Nominate N0S4R2 for Fantasy by Joe Hill

message 23: by Roger, Knight Radiant (last edited Jun 03, 2016 06:12AM) (new)

Roger | 1986 comments Mod
Li wrote: "And do androids dream of electric sheep as another suggestion as am trying to get through some classics :)"

This has already been a BOTM

message 24: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Jarrad we had that in October :)

message 25: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1986 comments Mod
Kirsty wrote: "Jarrad we had that in October :)"

Kirsty, I thought the same thing, but we had NOS4A2, and to the best that I can determine they are not the same book

message 26: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Oh wow... I didn't even notice that!!did he really release two that similar? Crazy man!

message 27: by Maurice (new)

Maurice | 9 comments For fantasy - Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire.

message 28: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 573 comments Traitor's Blade by Sebastian de Castell for fantasy.

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Kirsty wrote: "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet for Sci fi please!"

Seconded!

message 30: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Roger wrote: "Kirsty wrote: "Jarrad we had that in October :)"

Kirsty, I thought the same thing, but we had NOS4A2, and to the best that I can determine they are not the same book"

I'm pretty sure that's just N0S4R2, the book we've read already.

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Yes, I think one is the US edition and one is the UK one.

message 32: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Yep one is the US edition and the other the UK edition. We had it as an additional BOTM for horror last october. And it was great. :-)

message 33: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Christina, good choice . I just finished book three , Saints Blood in the series

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 573 comments Paul wrote: "Christina, good choice . I just finished book three , Saints Blood in the series"

Thanks Paul. I have been dying to read this one for awhile now, so I figured I would take a chance.

message 35: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Falcio, the main character is quite possibly becoming my favourite fantasy character . So good.

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I'm partial to Brasti myself. :-) Looking forward to the third book this month.

message 37: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Well some people like the cheeky sort . :-) I'm friends with Darrriana (Its a tuckerisation )Shes not as violent in real life .

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina (daria1275) | 573 comments You guys are definitely making me excited to read these books! Even if Traitor's Blade doesn't make it on the poll or win if it does (which odds are it won't because my nominations tend to be middle of the pack runners) then I will definitely need to work this into my schedule soon. :-)

message 39: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Some of the best sword fight scenes I've ever read. So good.

message 40: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Paul wrote: "Well some people like the cheeky sort . :-) I'm friends with Darrriana (Its a tuckerisation )Shes not as violent in real life ."

LOL

Hope you enjoy it when you get to it, Christina. :-)

message 41: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I quite enjoyed Traitor's Blade, but my book store only has hard copy of Knight's Shadow, waiting on a paperback.

message 42: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Thats quite funny Lancer as he'd Canadian and they release it much later there than here

message 43: by Dawn (last edited Jun 03, 2016 10:17AM) (new)

Dawn | 1114 comments Can I nominate Armada for Sci-fi

message 44: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Dawn wrote: "Can I nominate Armada for Sci-fi"

Sorry Dawn, Armada was nominated last month.

message 45: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments Anyone interested in continuing the Foundation series? I keep putting it off, so... Foundation and Empire by Asimov for sci-fi, please!

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee Christy | 5 comments I would like to nominate Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (book 1 in Chronicles of Elantra) for fantasy. Cast in Shadow

message 47: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Jun 03, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I think I'll nominate The Straight Razor Cure, as it is recommended so highly by a certain someone :P

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen | 35 comments I'd like to nominate Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang for science fiction.

message 49: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid | 89 comments Paul wrote: "Some of the best sword fight scenes I've ever read. So good."

Okay, which books are you guys talking about. -_-
After this comment, I need it now!

message 50: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3521 comments Mod
Traitors Blades by Sebastian De Castell. Its the first in The Greatcoats series . A great read

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.