101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Cider with Rosie
This topic is about Cider with Rosie
Completed Reads > Cider With Rosie

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
So I picked up a copy of this (the only copy, it seems) at my local library today, and it appears to be an illustrated--though chaptered--children's book. I know that there are other books with this same title: did I perhaps get the wrong one? Or is this indeed a "must-read" adult-style book?

Mike | 318 comments Mod
Cider With Rosie This is the Kindle edition I acquired for the read.

message 3: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie (mjnettle) I'm thinking this is the short novel by Laurie Lee. Correct?

Pallavi (bookfetisher) I'm almost 50% done....loving it so far. Even though the narration is from lee's childhood, some of the observations are adult ;p
Yes its a short novel..... But has 2 more sequels I think.

I've been busy, so only the first chapter down, but it's interesting so far (if a bit far fetched that a child that young would have that detailed of a memory).

Mike | 318 comments Mod
A breezy, sentimental walk down memory lane. I am sure this book strikes a chord with many readers & their own childhoods. Quite enjoyed this one!

I'm about halfway through. It's interesting: mine is an illustrated copy, which gives it the feel of a children's book, but it definitely doesn't read like a children's book, which throws me off a bit. The perspective is interesting, if a bit unbelievable, about a tone and area that I don't know much about, aside from some James Harriott (at least, I THINK I picked up that it's in the countryside of England?)

Mike | 318 comments Mod
Pallavi wrote: "My review is here..." My thoughts exactly!

Irene | 1391 comments I finished this yesterday. I enjoyed Lee's lyrical style of writing. What struck me was the nostalgic note he struck in a childhood characterized by so much deprivation. His mother is a bit eccentric, his education is substandard, there is no father, real poverty, bullying by the bigger boys on an unsupervised playground, a house that leaks, floods and is bitterly cold and serious health issues and yet this is not a memoir of suffering. If this had been written in the past decade or so, I suspect it would not have the endearing tone that Lee gives it. We focus so much on pain and suffering in our literature today that we seem to have forgotten how to celebrate life's simple joys.

Irene wrote: "I finished this yesterday. I enjoyed Lee's lyrical style of writing. What struck me was the nostalgic note he struck in a childhood characterized by so much deprivation. His mother is a bit eccentr..."

Agreed, it doesn't have the feeling of "woe to me, take pity on my poor upbrining" but more the feeling of Little House on the Prairie and James Harriott and others who celebrate the lives the had, the friends and family, their lives being what they MADE of them, not just what HAPPENED to them.

Irene | 1391 comments I see this is the first in a trilogy. Is anyone planning to read the remainder of his memoir?

I thought about it, but while it might be interesting to read more later, it didn't draw me in enough to make me want to continue right now.