Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

In Real Life
This topic is about In Real Life
In Real Life, by Cory Doctorow and Jen Wang

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I just finished this as my graphic novel for PopSugar. For some reason, I've always had a bit of a bias against graphic novels, as a sort of "easy way out" for people to read without "really reading." From doing the challenges over the past year or two, that attitude's starting to change since I found a couple of really interesting graphic novels.

I chose this one because the story seemed really interesting. I'm a bit of a gamer myself, so the storyline about a girl getting involved in an online game interested me. The book is about a girl who joins as MMORPG and quickly gets recruited to kill off gold farmers, people who are gathering up a ton of in-game gold to trade for real money. She later befriends a gold farmer, and begins to learn more about why he does it, causing her to re-evaluate her own ideas. It was a simple but pretty interesting story, although this book didn't grab me the same way other graphic novels have.

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments I wish graphic novels were "easy reading." Sigh. For me, they're such a challenge. I just cannot seem to get into the panel by panel reading style and then I end up getting really frustrated. If the story is particularly good, I'll wish it was available in novel form so I could read and absorb it better.

I keep trying to get into graphic novels and failing miserably.

I read this one for my Around the Year challenge. It was my pick for a book relating to a hobby or passion (week #45). I am a gamer so... it fits. I didn't read the synopsis before I started it so I was sort of expecting it to have more of vibe like Felicia Day's web series The Guild. The gold farming angle was definitely not expected. I liked that this one was short and simple so it wasn't as troublesome of a read for little ol' graphically challenged me. It wasn't as exciting or bold or unique as some of the other graphic novels I've stumbled my way through, but it was cute and sweet.

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I always have to take a second to figure out what's next and then I have trouble reading the font. I have a few series that I'm reading but I don't think they'll ever be a regular format for me.