The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.4 - Golden Oldie - Heather(Gibby)'s task: The Golden Age

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 12, 2016 07:12AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
20.4 - Golden Oldie - Heather(Gibby)'s task: The Golden Age

The term Golden Age comes from Greek mythology and legend. It refers to the first in a sequence of four or five (or more) Ages of Man, in which the Golden Age is first, followed in sequence, by the Silver, Bronze, Heroic, and then the present (Iron), which is a period of decline, sometimes followed by the Leaden Age. By definition, one is never in the Golden Age. (Source, Wikipedia)

This is a ONE book task. Pick one of the options below.

Required: State which option you chose when you post.

Option A. Read a book with a main page genre of "Mythology." Genre may be stand alone or embedded.
Option B. Read a book written by one of the authors who wrote during the Golden Age of Science Fiction: Prominent Golden Age Authors. Co-written books (two authors) will work as long as at least one of the authors is from the list. Book with multiple authors, such as anthologies or collections of short stories by more than two authors, will not work. Authors are listed in the task help thread, as well.
Option C. The Golden Age is often used to refer to a Senior Citizen. Read a book that was first published after the author's 65th birthday. If there is more than one author, at least one needs to have reached their 65th birthday.
Required: State the author's birth date when you post. If the GRs author page does not include the author's birth date, provide an outside link for verification.

message 2: by Heather(Gibby) (last edited Jul 19, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Approved for Option A: Genre mythology
The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris Enslaved (Eternal Guardians, #5) by Elisabeth Naughton American Gods by Neil Gaiman Lullaby (Watersong, #2) by Amanda Hocking
The Just City (Thessaly, #1) by Jo Walton Ithaca A Novel of Homer's Odyssey by Patrick Dillon

message 3: by Heather(Gibby) (last edited Jun 27, 2016 04:17PM) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Does not work:
Great Mythologies of the World by Grant L. Voth

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1169 comments Do autobiographies count for option C?

message 7: by Heather(Gibby) (last edited Jun 05, 2016 05:54PM) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Donna wrote: "Do autobiographies count for option C?"

Yes as long as they were at least 65 when they wrote it

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3762 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Donna wrote: "Do autobiographies count for option C?"

Yes as long as they were at least 65 when they wrote it"

The task states "over 65 years old" but you just answered "at least 65" ...

Can you clarify?

message 9: by Pia (last edited Jun 05, 2016 07:30PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments I'd also like clarification on the age issue?

I'd like to read a book by Leif G.W. Persson who was born in March 1945.
The book was published in 2010, so that would make him 65 years then.

Thanks!

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1385 comments Does option 2 have to be by a single author?
L. Sprague de Camp with Conan the Barbarian also lists Lin Carter

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine | 736 comments For Option A, could you please verify The Gospel of Loki for the genre "Mythology"? Thank you!

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1652 comments Please confirm Enslaved for "mythology". Currently 37 users.
Thanks.

message 13: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Christine wrote: "For Option A, could you please verify The Gospel of Loki for the genre "Mythology"? Thank you!"

That's an awesome book!

For anyone who likes crime novels, I'm pretty sure that any of Andrea Camilleri's Montalbano books should work for Option 3. He was born in 1925, and from his GR bio, the first one was published in Italy in 1994, which by my count means he was 69 when the first one came out.

message 14: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Rose (biancarose) | 249 comments Can I please confirm American Gods would be suitable for Option A "Fantasy>Mythology". Does this count as embedded? And would I be able to use it for this task? Thanks!

message 15: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Donna wrote: "Do autobiographies count for option C?"

The task states "over 65 years old" but you just answered "at..."

I will accept 65 -their 65th birthday plus one day is acceptable.

message 16: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Deborah wrote: "Does option 2 have to be by a single author?
L. Sprague de Camp with Conan the Barbarian also lists Lin Carter"

Yes, I will accept a co-author as long as at lest one of the authors is from the list provided.

message 17: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Christine wrote: "For Option A, could you please verify The Gospel of Loki for the genre "Mythology"? Thank you!"

approved for genre-mythology

message 18: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Enslaved for "mythology". Currently 37 users.
Thanks."

message 19: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Bianca wrote: "Can I please confirm American Gods would be suitable for Option A "Fantasy>Mythology". Does this count as embedded? And would I be able to use it for this task? Thanks!"

message 20: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Donna wrote: "Do autobiographies count for option C?"

The task states "over 65 years old" bu..."

What about books that only have a year as publishing date?

The book I want to read only states it was published in 2010. The author would be 65 on March of the same year, but there's no way to know if the book was published before or after his birthday.

message 21: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Pia wrote: "Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Donna wrote: "Do autobiographies count for option C?"

The task states..."

If you can't provide proof it was published after their 65th birthday, then you would not be able to use it- sorry.
There are many many fabulous books written by persons over 65, I am sure you will be able to find something great to read.

message 22: by Meg (last edited Jun 06, 2016 10:42AM) (new)

Meg (medicasali) | 60 comments For Option C, I would like to use a book by author Alan Bradley but he only gives his birth year online and does not give the day or month (I've checked multiple sources). Is this a problem? He is well over 65 for the book I would like to use but I just want to make sure that the year of his birth on it's own is enough and that the month and day are not required.

message 23: by Heather(Gibby) (last edited Jun 06, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Meg wrote: "For Option C, I would like to use a book by author Alan Bradley but he only gives his birth year online and does not give the day or month (I've checked multiple sources). Is this a problem? He is ..."

That is fine-the birthdate will only come into play when a person is 65 when the book is published, as they need to be past their 65th birthday.

message 24: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3523 comments For Option C, I assume Down Among the Dead Men will work. since Lovesey appears to be celebrating his 80th birthday this year and this book was published in 2015.

message 25: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Andy wrote: "For Option C, I assume Down Among the Dead Men will work. since Lovesey appears to be celebrating his 80th birthday this year and this book was published in 2015."

Your assumption is correct

message 26: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3523 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Andy wrote: "For Option C, I assume Down Among the Dead Men will work. since Lovesey appears to be celebrating his 80th birthday this year and this book was published in 2015."

You..."

Thanks, Gives me my reason to read this one sooner rather than later.

message 27: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments o clarify: is it allowed to read a collection of stories from one option for option B?

Like this one: Een handvol duisternis

message 28: by Heather(Gibby) (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Bellagbear wrote: "o clarify: is it allowed to read a collection of stories from one option for option B?

Like this one: Een handvol duisternis"

Yes a short story collection is acceptable

message 29: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 422 comments For option C, If there's more than one author, will one author's DOB work or do both have to work?

message 30: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Honestly I was only thinking of single author books for this task, but I don't want to curtail anyone's choices, so if you really want to read a two author for this task then at least one of them will need to be at least 65, just identify which author it is when you post.
This is my first time ever creating a task, so I apologize for having so many loopholes in it.

message 31: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments For Option A, may I get confirmation of MP genre of Mythology:

Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley

Fantasy > Mythology 17 users

Thank you in advance.

message 32: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Tara Jo wrote: "For Option A, may I get confirmation of MP genre of Mythology:

Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1) by A.W. Exley

Fantasy > Mythology 17 users

Thank you in advance."

Verified- enjoy!

message 33: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 204 comments Can I please get Lullaby (Watersong, #2) by Amanda Hocking verified for "Mythology?" Thanks!

message 34: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Kim wrote: "Can I please get Lullaby (Watersong, #2) by Amanda Hocking verified for "Mythology?" Thanks!"

verified- have fun reading it!

message 35: by JennyR (new)

JennyR (mortimerknits) | 5 comments For Option A - I would like to get  Great Mythologies of the World by Grant L. Voth   verified. Thank you!

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

JenniferR wrote: "For Option A - I would like to get Great Mythologies of the World by Grant L. Voth  verified. Thank you!"

This appears to be a set of recorded lectures with no written equivalent. According to the Rules of the Challenge: Audiobooks that do not have a written word equivalent, either published in paper or digitally, may NOT be used for SRC tasks.

message 37: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Please verify The Just City for mythology. It's currently at the bottom of the list.

Thanks.

message 38: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Please verify The Just City for mythology. It's currently at the bottom of the list.

Thanks."

Yes I see it-verified. Enjoy the read-it looks interesting as I am a time travel junkie!

message 39: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Please verify The Just City for mythology. It's currently at the bottom of the list.

Thanks."

Yes I see it-verified. Enjoy the read-it looks interesting as I am a..."

I enjoyed it. But then I'm a Jo Walton fan. It raises a lot of philosophical questions (without being preachy" so it might be a good group read at some point.
Thanks for getting back so quickly.

message 40: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments Just recording the genre of Mythology on Ithaca: A Novel of Homer's Odyssey

message 41: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 905 comments Kaora wrote: "Just recording the genre of Mythology on Ithaca: A Novel of Homer's Odyssey"

genre noted-sorry for the delay in responding , I was on holidays