Play Book Tag discussion

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
June, 2016: Fantasy > Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan - 4.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1913 comments After Clay Jannon loses his job as a website designer, he passes a bookstore looking for an overnight clerk. It’s a very peculiar and dusty place where there are few customers, with the exception of a handful of rather eccentric people who borrow rather than buy the books. Behind the desk, the back and lining the walls are rows of old leather books that reach far up into the extremely tall space. Yet these books aren’t for sale. They are for members to check out and return. The books look like they are written in secret code. Ultimately Clay discovers the code is connected to some sort of bizarre cult. He goes on a mission to solve the mystery that has been tormenting its members for centuries. He enlists the help of an equally bizarre team, including his former best friend who invented a boob-simulation software, a young woman who works for Google, and even the fascinating Mr. Penumbra himself.

This book has been on my shelf for quite a while but kept getting passed up. I'm so glad I finally picked it up. Something about this book reminded me of Ready Player One without the video games. There's also a lot of humor in the story, especially the dialog between the characters. I really enjoyed the way the author explored the idea that technology is changing the way people read books. He also did it in a way that wasn't accusatory or agenda driven. My only criticism is that the ending seemed a little rushed. There's a little bit of everything in this book: mystery, magical realism, adventure and fantasy. If you have an interest in any of those genres, I definitely recommend it.

Jgrace | 2715 comments I'm glad you liked it. I thought this one was a lot of fun.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments This sounds fabulous!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments I loved this book! So glad you liked it. I listened to the audio, which was very good.

message 5: by ScoLgo (new)

ScoLgo | 30 comments This was a good read for me too. I gave it 4.5 stars and marked it as a favorite. Simply a light, fun read that had me turning pages late into the night.

annapi | 4865 comments I enjoyed this one too!

Hope | 150 comments I read this because of so many good reviews from PBTers and I was glad I did. I really enjoyed it, though I do agree with you about the ending.

message 8: by Denizen (last edited Jun 04, 2016 05:31PM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I had made a conscious decision to not read this book but cannot, for the life of me, remember why. The answer is written somewhere in the depths of defunct Shelfari. Anyhow, Oliver, your review made it sound intriguing and looking further on GR, I found many, many other strong reviews from PBT'ers

On the TBR now - oversight corrected

Jgrace | 2715 comments While I totally agree with the fantasy tag for this book, I think it's interesting that it is not actually a fantasy. It's about readers of fantasy and the fandom that surrounds them. There seem to be a few books with similar themes trending right now. Ready Player One comes to mind.

message 10: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3778 comments This one has been on my TBR forever, didn't realize it was tagged fantasy! Your review definitely makes me want to read it.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book. I agree with Judith that it's not a fantasy book, but a book about those who love fantasy. It fits the tag and is a fun book but it's a different fantasy book.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I also enjoyed this one. I think I read most of it on a plane. It was perfect escapism.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa (spirolim) | 178 comments I loved this one! It's currently my favorite fiction novel. I've been recommending this one to all of my dance students.

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1545 comments I gave it 3.5 stars. I liked it but after it was so highly hyped, I ended up feeling disappointed.

Jgrace | 2715 comments There's a fun prequel , short story ; Ajax Penumbra 1969. It adds a bit of backstory, although I'm not sure it would make as much sense if read before the 24 hour bookstore.