Play Book Tag discussion

The Housekeeper and the Professor
This topic is about The Housekeeper and the Professor
Archive: Other Books > The Housekeeper and the Professor - Yoko Ozawa - ★★★★★

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments What a beautiful book! It was like poetry to read, and it somehow managed to built suspense in the most subtle way. Unassuming and gentle, it was a joy to read. Not a long book, it could easily be read in one sitting. A favourite passage -

'I was not surprised to find balls of hair and mouldy popsicle sticks behind the desk, or a chicken bone resting on top of one of his bookshelves. And yet, the room was filled by a kind of stillness. Not simply an absence of noise, but an accumulation of layers of silence, untouched by fallen hair or mould, silence that the Professor left behind as he wandered through the numbers, silence like a clear lake hidden in the depths of the forest.'

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7643 comments This is another one that I really need to get to. I think I would really enjoy it.

Susie | 4488 comments It was lovely, and very quick to read if you are in the mood for something light.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1898 comments I really enjoyed this book but have a friend who did the audio and hated it. Too much math and baseball she said.

Susie | 4488 comments I can see that the audio might not be as pleasant to read. To be honest I skimmed over the mathematical formulas!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5526 comments I loved the audio! My F2F bookclub is discussing this book later this month.

annapi | 4849 comments "Beautiful" seems to be a common adjective for this book from those who have read it - I definitely felt that was the overwhelming impression this made on me.

Karin | 6876 comments Nicole wrote: "This is another one that I really need to get to. I think I would really enjoy it."

Yes, it's a great novel.

As for the math, I thought it one of the best parts of the book and helps you really understand the professor.

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Susie wrote: "What a beautiful book! It was like poetry to read, and it somehow managed to built suspense in the most subtle way. Unassuming and gentle, it was a joy to read. Not a long book, it could easily be ..."

Ok, now I know we are truly simpatico!! Just LOVED this book so much . . .honestly, it makes my top ten ever. So so glad you enjoyed it.

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Karin wrote: "Nicole wrote: "This is another one that I really need to get to. I think I would really enjoy it."

Yes, it's a great novel.

As for the math, I thought it one of the best parts of the book and hel..."

I can completely see enjoying the book without focusing on the math, but I do like math and tried to understand it - - and really, really appreciated it. And we all know how I feel about baseball, so there's that.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments LOL Anita, yes we know how you feel about baseball!

I love book that read like poetry and I've only read a few. I have this on my TBR so I guess I need to move it up. Wish there was a top 200 tag that said "reads like poetry." :-)

Susie | 4488 comments I think knowing your appreciation for baseball enhanced the reading experience for me! What a wonderful group of people to share my love of reading with. :-)

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy | 8136 comments Funny - this was one of the three or four books, maybe five that I could name that people loved and raved about, but that I hated. I think I gave it a 1. I love that we are learning each other's tastes. I get more out of even books I didn't care for, when I hear why people liked them. Plenty of other books where we do match. In the few that I've hated, I am often alone. Olive Kitteridge, Life After Lufe, the Time Traveler's Wife, and Station Eleven. And the H and the P. In any case, good that we are all reading and are diverse and can contribute new things. Authors didn't get that decades ago - our ability to share the books that shape us.

Karin | 6876 comments Amy wrote: "Funny - this was one of the three or four books, maybe five that I could name that people loved and raved about, but that I hated. I think I gave it a 1. I love that we are learning each other's ta..."

Now while I loved this novel, I really didn't like Time Traveler's Wife much at all even though I appreciated the wonderful prose.