Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > June 2016: Under a Painted Sky

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2016 04:29PM) (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
Discussion starts here!

Discussion Q's:
Samantha and Annamae disguise themselves as boys in order to escape. Was this a good choice that they made? Why or why not?

Explain how Lady Tin-Yin serves as more of a character than a favorite instrument in the story

Water is frequently mentioned throughout the novel. Explain what water symbolizes in this book and what purpose it serves.

The bonds of family are featured prominently in this book even though only a few characters are related to each other. Which characters have formed a family? Also, analyze the relationships of each "family" in the story.

Topics covered:
Family
Relationships
Self Discovery

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Martin (lindajm) | 15 comments Hi there... I have an audiobook version of this book and will start listening later today.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda Martin (lindajm) | 15 comments Interesting premise, but I'm already getting a bit tired of the dialect and stereotyped characters. The audiobook is about 10 hours long, and I'm 2 hours into it. Good reader.

message 4: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
Discussion Q's posted!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Martin (lindajm) | 15 comments I'm still reading this - I've been very distracted this month. I'm more than 1/2 way through it now.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Martin (lindajm) | 15 comments I'm finished now... I wonder if anyone else is reading it. The second half of the book kept my attention better than the first half. Something about getting past that half-way mark makes a book draw me on quickly to the finish.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1209 comments Linda wrote: "I'm finished now... I wonder if anyone else is reading it. ..."

I definitely want to read it, but I'm just over-committed this month and haven't gotten to it.