Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 17

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments It's been another crazy day for me. Sorry this one is late as well.

Today's prompt is your favorite quote(s). Most of my favorite quotes come from the Harry Potter series and most of them are said by Albus Dumbledore, which really isn't that surprising since he's my favorite male character. Let's be honest, he's my favorite character period.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live," is my favorite quote. This particular quote isn't going to surprise anyone that knows me IRL. I've made this my life's motto. It reminds to me to act and not just think about the things I want. I'm not actually very good at this, especially when life is hard. But, I do try to think of this quote and remember it.

What is your favorite quote?

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments 'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.' Albus Dumbledore.

message 3: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 02, 2016 04:19PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8028 comments I don't usually have "favourite" quotations, but my current favourite is actually not from a book. Surprisingly, it's from a (fairly popular... amongst most people, I think, regardless of political affiliation) Canadian politician. I guess a former politician, as he passed away a few years ago from cancer.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world."
-Jack Layton
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...

ETA: That one actually always brings tears to my eyes...

message 4: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments Susie wrote: "'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.' Albus Dumbledore."

I love that one too! :) Dumbledore is such a great character.

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I don't usually have "favourite" quotations, but my current favourite is actually not from a book. Surprisingly, it's from a (fairly popular... amongst most people, I think, regardless of political..."

That's a great quote! Thanks for sharing it!

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Always loved this one by Dr. Seuss: Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.

message 7: by Marti (last edited Jun 02, 2016 07:23PM) (new)

Marti (coloreader) | 84 comments From Ordinary Grace

"The dead are never far from us. They're in our hearts and on our minds and in the end all that separates us from them is a single breath, one final puff of air."

I can't remember the exact quote, but Elie Wiesel wrote in his book Night that he didn't hate Hitler or any of the Nazis. He pointed out that they were someone's loved child once, or someone's spouse. This has stuck with me for years.

message 8: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8028 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "I don't usually have "favourite" quotations, but my current favourite is actually not from a book. Surprisingly, it's from a (fairly popular... amongst most people, I think, rega..."

Thanks, Jenni Elyse! I wasn't going to share it (I was going to stop at my comment), since it's not from a book, but I really love that quote, so I decided to, anyway.

message 9: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 02, 2016 08:41PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5539 comments "The world must be all fucked up," he said, "when men go first class and literature travels as freight." - One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

message 10: by annapi (last edited Jun 02, 2016 09:12PM) (new)

annapi | 4862 comments I too don't really have favorite quotes, but the one that sticks in my mind is the one I picked for my high school yearbook:

"Every person, all the events of your life, are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you." --Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach

message 11: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments This one is a long-time favorite of mine:

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-"G*d damn it, you've got to be kind.”

~Kurt Vonnegut, from God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

message 12: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments "The course of true love never did run smooth."
~ William Shakespeare from A Midsummer Night's Dream

Short and simple, been one of my fav quotes since middle school.

message 13: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments A change in the weather is often sufficient to recreate the world and ourselves. - Marcel Proust

message 14: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2713 comments “Though she be but little, she is fierce!”
― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I should get a tattoo .

message 15: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1431 comments There are two quotes from literature I really like:

"We aren't the things we collect, acquire, read. We are, for as long as we are here, only love. The things we loved. The people we loved. And these things, I think really do live on." The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

“To love someone is like moving into a house," Sonja used to say. "At first you fall in love in everything new, you wonder every morning that this is one's own, as if they are afraid that someone will suddenly come tumbling through the door and say that there has been a serious mistake and that it simply was not meant to would live so fine. But as the years go by, the facade worn, the wood cracks here and there, and you start to love this house not so much for all the ways it is perfect in that for all the ways it is not. You become familiar with all its nooks and crannies. How to avoid that the key gets stuck in the lock if it is cold outside. Which floorboards have some give when you step on them, and exactly how to open the doors for them not to creak. That's it, all the little secrets that make it your home. "A Man Called Ove

message 16: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments Jgrace - that's one of my favorites too and apparently one of the most popular Shakespeare quotes for a tattoo. Do an image search and you'll see what I mean. Does make a pretty awesome tattoo!

message 17: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2713 comments Hope wrote: "Jgrace - that's one of my favorites too and apparently one of the most popular Shakespeare quotes for a tattoo. Do an image search and you'll see what I mean. Does make a pretty awesome tattoo!"

I've seen those images! But the tattoo comment is a joke. My kids tease me about how uncool , unhip, I am. I'm more of a refrigerator magnet kind of person.