Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
This topic is about Sahara
Group Reads Archive > June 2016 The Heat is On Group Read: Sahara by Clive Cussler *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4693 comments Mod
Our group read for The Heat is On June theme is Sahara. Let's discuss!

Alan (alanb24) | 35 comments I'll pass on re-reading this one. This was my first attempt at a Cussler book, and it discouraged me from trying him again.

message 3: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
This was one of my favorite Dirk Pitt books...hope you all enjoy!

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 790 comments I read it about 1.5 years ago & will discuss, but won't reread. I gave it 3 stars in my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I would like to read one of the earlier Dirk Pitt books. I got the feeling that the series started out better & just got wilder.

Justin Read this one years ago. This was when the series was still a lot of fun. It started going down hill for me when dirk Pitt Jr came into it.

Ivan Zullo | 2 comments Great Dirk Pitt's story. The Pitt-Giordino duo at their best.
As a Pitt's fan, I'm always sure he and the NUMA are going to save the world, but Dirk always surprise me.
A real pity that the movie wasn't at the same level.

Alison Sumprer | 2 comments I loved this book. Dirk Pitt is my favorite Cussler character. I think all the books in the series are just such fun, quick, exciting reads.

message 8: by Tad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tad (tottman) | 74 comments This book is a favorite of mine and I wish the movie had done it justice. I always love a good hook in his intro and the Abe Lincoln one grabbed me right away here. While I seldom remember the details of a Cussler book, I can remember these great intros and this was one of the better ones.

As always, the Pitt/Giordino banter is so much fun. I haven't kept up with all his books, particularly now that his coauthors write them, but for me Sahara was still one of his better ones.

Dave Edlund (dedlund) Jim wrote: "I read it about 1.5 years ago & will discuss, but won't reread. I gave it 3 stars in my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I would like to read one of the earlier Dirk Pi..."

Try Raise the Titanic!

message 10: by Dave (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dave Edlund (dedlund) Tad wrote: "This book is a favorite of mine and I wish the movie had done it justice. I always love a good hook in his intro and the Abe Lincoln one grabbed me right away here. While I seldom remember the deta..."

Tad wrote: "This book is a favorite of mine and I wish the movie had done it justice. I always love a good hook in his intro and the Abe Lincoln one grabbed me right away here. While I seldom remember the deta..."
Agreed. My biggest complaint about the movie is the poor casting for Dirk and Al. Also, they made Al seem like a doofus, and he's not.

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 790 comments Thanks, Dave. I didn't mind the casting for Dirk in Sahara & thought the movie was pretty good.

message 12: by Dave (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dave Edlund (dedlund) Jim wrote: "Thanks, Dave. I didn't mind the casting for Dirk in Sahara & thought the movie was pretty good."
Matthew McConaughey was a good choice for Pitt, especially with the devil-may-care attitude that he conveys well. But Pitt has black hair and green eyes, and if I recall, they had McConaughey in brown, almost blond, hair and blue eyes. Maybe my memory is not accurate?

message 13: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 790 comments It was the attitude that I picked up on.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sahara (other topics)