Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

HEX
This topic is about HEX
July-August 2016 Hex > Hex General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Put your general comments here. No spoilers, please.

That's so strange, Manda! What a coincidence!

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Holden | 115 comments Have we decided the book for July/Aug? Must have missed the notifications - who's it by?

Missy | 128 comments I am loving this book! I can hardly put it down.

message 5: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2016 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "Have we decided the book for July/Aug? Must have missed the notifications - who's it by?"

The July/August read will be
HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt.

I don't know why the information is not showing up in the discussion thread. Will check into that. Fixed.

Manda and Missy have gotten a head start on the rest of us!

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Holden | 115 comments Thanks Almeta. Will get it ordered

message 7: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2016 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "Thanks Almeta. Will get it ordered "

There are currently no copies available from my library system. I see one is on hold and I'll bet it is Debra who has it held.

She has not set up all of the discussion threads for it yet, and she needs the book in order to do that. Guess I'll have to wait for her to read it before I can! ☺

Missy | 128 comments Available on Kindle.

message 9: by Larissa (last edited Jun 06, 2016 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Larissa | 270 comments I'm gonna read The Passage trilogy before I get to HEX (just started book 2 now---gosh they are so HUGE and fairly complex with all the characters and timelines--still, I'm digging it!). But Hex is looking so good! The creepier the better!

Speaking of The Passage, did I get the idea to read it from someone in this group? I read it when it came out but hadn't read the sequels. This is definitely something I needed to reread before I finished the series.

message 10: by Linda (last edited Jun 06, 2016 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I love The Passage!!! Enjoy Larissa!!

I'm looking forward to this book - I already checked with my library to be sure they have it!!! And they do yay!!!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Larissa wrote: "I'm gonna read The Passage trilogy before I get to HEX (just started book 2 now---gosh they are so HUGE and fairly complex with all the characters and timelines--stil..."

I started the final book in the trilogy the other day. I want to re-read the whole series at some time. There's so much detail, that I'm sure I'm missing bits and pieces.

Larissa, we read The Passage as a group read a few years ago. I believe everyone loved it, along with Stephen King, of course. I'm rereading it and The Twelve before reading the final one in the series, The City of Mirrors. It is so great, and I had forgotten a lot of it. Enjoy!

Larissa | 270 comments Cool! We got several people reading Cronin! Just started the third one today. So far the first one seems the best.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Manda wrote: "Yes I'm reading Cronin too. Almost done with re read of passage before rereading second, city of mirrors on preorder out in uk next week.

But I'm also reading Hex which is SUPERB!"

I'm waiting for the library's copy of Hex to come available. Hopefully it will arrive in time for our July/August read.

I've got the discussion threads set up. Those who have already read Hex, can start commenting now. Enjoy!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Two days ago, I checked the availability of the book at the library. It had been checked out for ages. It was in! But did I rush down and snag it? No. I checked again this morning just to make sure it's still in, and it's been checked out.

There are 3 available on ILL, so I've requested it. Hopefully it won't take too long to come.

Should have snagged while you could have. But you've got 2 months, so no worries.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I know but I see people are discussing it and I feel like I'm missing out on the fun. :)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments LOL Janice! I'm so like that!!!

LOL, same here!

message 21: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma I'm just starting this today, I'm only a few pages in and I'm already creeped out!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I picked this one up from this library this past week, but have not been able to start reading it yet - soon I hope!

message 23: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma I finished it today..

Missy | 128 comments So what did you think? I thought it was a great read, kept my interest and was very creepy. Had a Truman Show meets the Twilight Zone feel.

message 25: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma It was actually a bit TOO creepy for me! It s a very good horror story because it certainly was horrifying! For me it was a cross of Wayward Pines, The Crucible and Lord of the Flies. It combined the horrors of human 'crowd' psychology with the supernatural and paranormal elements. I would definitely recommend it to horror lovers.

Larissa | 270 comments I agree with you, Emma. I had to stop for a few days because I got so creeped out. I haven't had that in a book I was enjoying in a long time. Will definitely recommend! :D

Missy | 128 comments Yes, this is more what I hoped Wayward Pines was going to be. That was disappointing to me as I'm not really a sci-fi fan.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I finally have the book in my hot little hands. I just need to finish the book I am currently reading.

I hope you like it, Janice. It's pretty wild.

message 30: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma You might want to sleep with the lights on for the next few days...

Larissa | 270 comments And I also recommend having someone in the house with you in case a strange little woman shows up.

Missy | 128 comments Can't you just see this as a movie??

Wasn't that just so creepy, Larissa!?

I would go to theater for that, Missy!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I think I'm in trouble. I live alone with my cat. Maybe she'll protect me.

Okay, now I'm nervous.

Larissa | 270 comments Keep that cat close by!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Larissa wrote: "Keep that cat close by!"

I don't know. She's not all helpful. I read the first 3 chapters last night, turned off the light and fell asleep. About 15 minutes after I turned off the lights, a funny noise woke me. The sound had come from my bedroom but there was no cat in sight.

Larissa | 270 comments GET OUT OF THE HOUSE, STAT! O.O

Maybe you can move in with a friend or parents until you finish the book? :D

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Maybe I can have one of my grandkids come and sleep over until I've finished the book? Hehehe!

Yeah, your cat and grandkids will protect you! Riiiggght!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments ROFL! They say that misery loves company. :)

That's soooo true, Janice!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I keep peeking out from under the covers to make sure nobody is standing at the foot of my bed. Any little sound wakes me right up. I haven't been this scared by a book in a long time.

I should reword that "misery loves..." statement. I'm misery, and I want company. Hopefully the cat and grandkids could provide the company even though they aren't miserable.

LOL, thanks for the clarification Janice. I'm glad I don't live alone. My cats would be useless... probably my hubby would be, too.

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I think the cat was the one causing the noises that woke me up. Not helpful!

Not at all!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ohhhh this sounds really good I need to read this one very soon!!!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I'm finally getting started on this one!

Keep the lights on!

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Hehehehe! Hang in there Linda.

« previous 1