The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
This topic is about Spider's Bite
Side Reads > Spider's Bite

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 02, 2016 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzanne | 1582 comments In this thread, we'll discuss Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep , which is the first book in the (long) Elemental Assassin series. Since (at least initially) we will only do one thread per book, please mark spoilers.

Here is the Goodreads synopsis: Actually, I'm putting it in spoilers - at least the last paragraph - because it IS a book spoiler. Lame!

My name is Gin, and I kill people.

They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South — when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 1582 comments So, I read this book about a month go - it is still relatively fresh. I have some overall book comments that I will save for later, but here are a couple of early book comments:

I really like the idea of an efficient female assassin - shades of the tv show Alias I guess! And I like the idea of elemental magic - I think it'll be fun to explore.

One thing that kind of threw me off though (spoiler for a few chapters in) (view spoiler) I'll probably expand on that comment later, and maybe it was just how it hit me at the time I was reading it.

Suzanne | 1582 comments The magic system in this book is, I suppose, similar to that in A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab , with some people proficient in one element, etc. It is interesting to think of creative uses of some of the elements (like stone).

The thing I did not like about the book was the relationship with Donavan. (view spoiler). I was told by someone that my issues with the book are resolved, and I will read the next one or two and see if that happens.

Emma I am just about to start t his book

Suzanne | 1582 comments Nice Emma. hope you enjoy it!