Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Book & Poll Discussions > Book Chat - Untethered

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited May 07, 2014 01:14PM) (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I thought we'd change it up a little this month and have our discussion open for the whole month, so when you finish reading you can post your comments right away while the book is still fresh in your mind. Instead of waiting for the 20th when you've probably read other books and may have forgotten some of the things you wanted to talk about. We'll see how this goes and if people like this way better or prefer the old way. I'll start...

I remember when Untethered was first released I was so excited McClure had released a new western I couldn't wait to get started. Overall, I really liked this one. I liked that it had a good plot and a little more depth than some of her lighter books. I do think her H/h's are very similar in personality and could be a interchangeable from book to book. In this case, I did like Cricket. I liked that she has such a big heart and how she likes to do secretive good deeds with her friends. I also liked Heath (except for that gold tooth, which for me was a major turn off!). He's your typical McClure hero. As usual, the two had good chemistry and some fun kissing scenes.

I thought the plot with the kidnappers was interesting, I didn't really get too creeped out by them, but the idea of white slavery is disturbing. The other villain was just weird to me. I'm spacing on his name, but I thought it was weird how one day he wanted to marry Cricket to annoy his father and then the very next day he is forcing her to marry Heath. I guess it was just a convenient way to get them together, but his motivations seemed odd.

Overall, I liked it. I think McClure does a good job with westerns. I do feel that sometimes she is a bit repetitive though. What were your thoughts...

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Was I the only one that read this one? Maybe I should answer my own questions. :)

I agree, Kathy, that the story held more depth than some of McClure's other books. The added element of the kidnappers and their intent to sell the girls into prostitution had a darker theme than what we usually find in her books. I liked that it was more serious and yet stayed lighthearted. I also have to agree that Heath's gold tooth was distracting and not at all attractive. Seemed silly to me. I guess everyone is different though.

Anyone know when Marcia has a new book coming? It seems like its been forever!

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 200 comments Ha ha! I read it too, I didn't have time to reread it this month, but it was one of my favorites. Yes, the gold tooth was distracting. I would also not like to be called blossom bottom, or have my skin chaffed (how romantic!). I like that the girls go around doing good deeds, and I laugh about the shotgun wedding. I don't see how that helped the preacher's son, but it got them married sooner...
I don't know when her next book comes out, but I was rereading The Bewitching of Amoretta Ipswitch and now have a guess for who I think her sister's love interest will be. I hope Calliope's story comes out soon!

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Its been so long since I've read Bewitching of Amoretta that I'll probably have to re-read it when she finally publishes the next book. It seems like its been forever. I know she has been releasing audio versions of her books so I think that's probably taking up some of her writing time.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hiding in the Pages) | 188 comments Mod
I've read this one twice, but both times were a long time ago. I've been swamped this month and haven't had time to re-read it, but plan to...sometime... I'll be sure to come back when I do. :)