What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction - Medieval woman who cooks. Includes recipes

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Winters | 130 comments I read a novel in the 1990s that took place in medieval/historical times about a woman who cooks. I don't remember much about the plot except that at one point she travels with others and cooks for them. It included a detailed description of what people ate in those times. Thank you for any help!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Probably not your book as I don't think there is traveling, also it is not medieval, but it is set in 18th century Germany and I remember descriptions of various strange soups they were eating.

The Blue Flower

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It couldn't be The Flounder by Günter Grass? It's the history of the world told by a man who lives from the prehistoric to the relatively modern, and the cooks he has known, in tribes, wives, abbesses, how and what they cooked, pretty detailed descriptions, what happened when black pepper trade hit Europe, but I can't say it has actual recipes. If you find out what your book is, I'd love to know.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32283 comments Mod
Down the Common: A Year in the Life of a Medieval Woman by Ann Baer?

The Priory by Margaret Wasser isn't your book as it has a contemporary setting. I'll mention it just in case you're interested. One reviewer says it includes "...bits of medieval recipes and herb lore at the beginning of each chapter."

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Winters | 130 comments Thanks everyone! I don't think any of the books are what I remember, but I love all the suggestions and will certainly check those out as well. Thank you!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Sarah, are you still looking for this or did you find it?