Gaston Library discussion

Monthly Reading Wrap Ups > May 2016 Monthly Reading Wrap Up

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Jun 02, 2016 10:43AM) (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 250 comments Mod
It's time for another Monthly Reading Wrap Up!

This month I read....
Brooklyn. I enjoyed the story this book told a lot, but by the end of the book I had lots of problems with the main character(Ellis). I really attach with books based on being able to attach to characters, so by the end of this book I just couldn't attach to the book.

The Crown. This was a good end to a great series. I had issues with the main character(Eadlyn) of this book while reading The Heir, but she was a much better character in the The Crown. I enjoyed the Selection Series as a whole and would recommend them.

Big Stone Gap. I'm originally from Bristol, VA which is about an hour away from Big Stone Gap. This book was sweet easy to read story, and for me was like reading a little slice home.

The Green Glass Sea. I love historical fiction, so this book was right up my ally! It was an interesting perspective on the Manhattan Project and that period of history in the USA.

The Martian. The humor made this book good. It was a pretty interesting story, but definitely would have been dry without Mark Watney's sense of humor.

What did you read this month? I'd love to hear about it and get some recommendations from you guys!

It's also Summer Reading time here at the library! We have events and prizes for all ages groups so come by and register for our Summer Reading program!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Cadi (new)

Cadi | 26 comments First, I read The Help. I had put off seeing the movie because I wanted to read the book first and finally got around to it. It was one of those books that I stayed up way too late reading and was exhausted at work the next day.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I've yet to read something by him that I didn't like. This was a quick, easy read but satisfying nonetheless. Excellent character development like always.

The Alchemist. A book that's been on my to-read list for years now. I thought about it for several days afterward which is the mark of a good book to me.

Now I'm reading Fifty Shades of Grey lol. A book that I put off for multiple reasons but eventually broke down and started reading it. Enjoyable in its own way...

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Thanks so much for sharing Cadi!

I've had The Help on my reading list for a while. I've already seen the movie, but it was a long time ago so hopefully I won't remember much when I read it. Now that I know its good enough to lose sleep over I might need to bump it up on the list!

message 4: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 58 comments Mod
Cadi, I also could not put down The Help. I thought it was great! I have always wanted to read Neil Gaiman, so I am excited that you have enjoyed everything you have read by him. It gives me hope that I, too, will enjoy his writing.

Jessica, The Martian was one of my favorite books that I have read in the past year. I thought the humor in the story did a fantastic job of easing the tension that was created.

I finished reading The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman. It was historical fiction, and written about the real painter Camille Pissaro's family. I thought it was fascinating, and beautifully written.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Kendall, as I said above I love historical fiction so I definitely need to add The Marriage of Opposites to my reading list as well! Thanks for sharing!