DFW Planetary Society Book Club discussion

Off Topic > Digital or Paper?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Markie (new)

Markie (vegoego) | 90 comments Mod
Do you guys prefer to read on some type of "e-reader" or do you prefer the classic paper print?

I figured this was a good topic for a book club and was curious what everyone else thought.

Personally, I prefer the feel of a classic paper book, but my kindle is so convenient. It's perfect alternative for the small paperback I'd probably end up trading back in to Half Price anyway.
Side note, I love used bookstores. They're like one of my favorite places on earth.
But, I digress.

For the authors I adore and keep up with, I always get the hard cover paper books, for the small paper back books, I usually go digital.

I know some of you, like Mark had mentioned earlier, are big fans of audio books. Those are also super cool.

Which do you guys usually land on? Are you exclusive one way or the other? Do you use both?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 82 comments Mod
I resisted ebooks for a long time for a lot of reasons. Books are probably my favorite thing and trips to any bookstore are exciting to me. I can and do spend hours just exploring.

But one day they closed the bookstore next to my house. And I was sad. And then there was a book I wanted, but the closest place to get it was the mall across town. I hate the mall.

I ordered a Kindle at that point and haven't looked back. I still buy hardbacks from my favorite authors. But on the rare occasion I'm in a position where I'm reading a paper book, I find it difficult to get used to. It's easier to lay down and read my kindle. I actually once touched the page in front of me to highlight to remember later and...and it was paper.

Also with the kindle app on my phone I never don't have my book with me. Or rather hundreds of books. Because I have a book buying addiction.

Nothing can replace the giddy feeling I get from going into the book store and seeking out a new conquest though.

I've wanted to attempt audio books, I just haven't found a good way to do that.

I guess if it's a good story or interesting information, I will ingest it any way possible. :p

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Phillips | 8 comments Love my Nook! It has everything on it, I love going back to re-read old favorites. No storage problem!

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark | 87 comments I've used the kindle app, but not much. I may end up getting an e-reader eventually.
What bums me out the most about this technology is that it has killed the bookshelf. Going into the future you can't just look at someones bookshelf and get a read on them as a person. I also lament no longer having a physical copy of every book I've read.
#FirstWorldOldPeopleProblems

message 5: by David (new)

David Marchbanks | 16 comments I mostly listen to audiobooks because of my long(ish) commute, but when I do read a book I love to have the book. Like Jessica, I love the bookstore. I could browse a bookstore all day. I used to use the kindle app a lot more before my ipad was stolen. Now i get a little annoyed with it on my phone.

All that being said, I still love to collect books and Half Price is one of my favorite places.