The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

108 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.3 - Best Review - Terri FL's task: New house

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 03, 2016 06:36AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10790 comments Mod
20.3 - Best Review - Terri FL's task: New house

My husband and I are house-hunting right now after having recently moved back to the U.S. from overseas.

No books with the genre "children" listed on the book's main page may be used for this task.

This is a ONE book task. You have 2 options:

Required: State which option you chose when you post.

Option A: Read a book with a title that could evoke your response to the following question:
My ideal house or location to live would be _____________.
Ex: Main Street, Amsterdam, In the Lake of the Woods, Beautiful Ruins, Dockside

Option B: Read a book with a cover showing your ideal place to live. Some sort of habitat, dwelling, or shelter must be shown on the cover.
Ex: Paris by Edward Rutherfurd The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck Lady Catherine and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona Carnarvon The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein Feta Attraction (Greek to Me Mystery #1) by Susannah Hardy The Lies That Bind (Bibliophile Mystery, #3) by Kate Carlisle Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1) by Elizabeth Lynn Casey Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #1) by Andrea Penrose
Required: Include the cover in your post.


message 3: by Terri FL (last edited Jun 03, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Not approved for option B:

Needs some sort of dwelling.

The Girl on the Run (Vengeance #1) by Gregg Olsen


message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10790 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Pia (last edited Jun 02, 2016 05:52PM) (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Nice task!

For option 2, I can't decide if I want to move to the country...


The White Cottage Mystery by Margery Allingham


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments option B The Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley I like to live in a nice house like this.


message 7: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments If I want to live in the woods will this work. The Girl on the Run (Vengeance #1) by Gregg Olsen


message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Is this enough to work for Option 2? (I would like to live in a palace - realistic tastes, I know, haha).

The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) by Philippa Gregory


message 9: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Seeking approval for Memory House (Memory House, #1) by Bette Lee Crosby


message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments My ideal home would have a large porch. Does this cover work? The Lawman's Surprise Family by Patricia Johns

Thanks!


message 11: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments could you interpret the question semi-serious like this: My ideal house or location to live would be Hollow City or Library of Souls.

Cause I live cities and libraries, thus anything with that name in it I would love to live, no matter the ominious adverb :P


message 12: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Pia wrote: "Nice task!

For option 2, I can't decide if I want to move to the country...


The White Cottage Mystery by Margery Allingham"


Country living I'm sure would be nice!


message 13: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "option B The Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley I like to live in a nice house like this."

Beautiful house and works. If only I could afford something like that!


message 14: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments JennRenee wrote: "If I want to live in the woods will this work. The Girl on the Run (Vengeance #1) by Gregg Olsen"

We have clarified the task a bit for the picture to show some sort of dwelling/habitat/shelter, so, I'm afraid this would not work. Sorry!


message 15: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Is this enough to work for Option 2? (I would like to live in a palace - realistic tastes, I know, haha).

The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) by Philippa Gregory"


This would work. It shows the interior of a dwelling. (Nothing wrong with dreams. Kate certainly accomplished it and now lives in Kensington Palace!)


message 16: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Wanda wrote: "Seeking approval forMemory House (Memory House, #1) by Bette Lee Crosby"

That would work. (Cute little house and even with a thatched roof!)


message 17: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Pamela wrote: "My ideal home would have a large porch. Does this cover work?The Lawman's Surprise Family by Patricia Johns

Thanks!"


Yes, this should work. It shows a dwelling/shelter.


message 18: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Bellagbear wrote: "could you interpret the question semi-serious like this: My ideal house or location to live would be Hollow City or Library of Souls.

Cause I live cities and librar..."


The whole title should be used to fill in the statement. One of my examples was Beautiful Ruins, so, in a similar vein. However, I could understand the Library of Souls (which sounds sort of cool for a while at least), but, would you want to live in a Hollow City?


message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 703 comments The last time my husband and I were house hunting, I fell in love with a house that had a beautiful kitchen. Unfortunately, we were not able to come to an agreement with the sellers, so we did not end up purchasing it. Given that, would this book work for me for Option A? The Kitchen House


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Terri FL wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "option B The Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley I like to live in a nice house like this."

Beautiful house and works. If only I could afford something like that!"


I have to hire a household staff to keep it clean :)


message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3606 comments So almost any interior ... such as Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy ... would work (as long as it's a dwelling, vs a store or office building)


message 22: by Nicole (last edited Jun 04, 2016 07:37PM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Would this work? I'll take something up top, versus the creepy underworld place. ;) id love to live in London!


message 23: by Chandni (new)

Chandni (chandnin31) | 336 comments Hi, just wondering if All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr works for Option 2? I basically want to live in any sea-side home.


message 24: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Christine wrote: "The last time my husband and I were house hunting, I fell in love with a house that had a beautiful kitchen. Unfortunately, we were not able to come to an agreement with the sellers, so we did not ..."

Sure, that would work. I'd call a house with a gorgeous kitchen a 'kitchen house'!


message 25: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Book Concierge wrote: "So almost any interior ... such as Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2) by Julie Hyzy ... would work (as long as it's a dwelling, vs a store or office building)"

Yes, the interior of a dwelling that you would like to live in. So, the one you have would work.


message 26: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Nicole wrote: "Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Would this work? I'll take something up top, versus the creepy underworld place. ;) id love to live in London!"


Yes, this is definitely of London, and has dwellings. St. Paul's Cathedral is actually in the top picture. I wanted to live in London so much that I moved there in 2011! That is where we just moved back from, so, I certainly understand.


message 27: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Chandni wrote: "Hi, just wondering if All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr works for Option 2? I basically want to live in any sea-side home."

Yes, this has visible dwellings in it.


message 28: by KSMary (last edited Jun 06, 2016 04:50PM) (new)

KSMary | 780 comments For Opt A, would you accept Salem Falls?


message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Terri FL wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Would this work? I'll take something up top, versus the creepy underworld place. ;) id love to live in London!"

Yes, this is definitely of London, and..."


thanks!
I love this book! Re-reading for my book club this week! :)
I must at least visit London soon!


message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1296 comments For option one, would On a Red Station, Drifting work? The idea being that I would like to live in space?


message 31: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Jessica wrote: "For option one, would On a Red Station, Drifting work? The idea being that I would like to live in space?"

Yes, that should work. It could fill in the statement.


message 32: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments Terri, I think you skipped my post #28.


message 33: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments KSMary wrote: "Terri, I think you skipped my post #28."

So sorry! Yes, Salem Falls will work fine!


message 34: by Alexxy (last edited Jun 12, 2016 07:04AM) (new)

Alexxy | 38 comments Just making sure this works for option A : Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children


message 35: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Alexxy wrote: "Just making sure this works for option A : Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children"

Yes, that would work.


message 36: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1646 comments For option A, do I have to use the subtitle? Will this work?

The Water Margin: Outlaws of the Marsh

My ideal house or location to live would be (at) The Water Margin.


message 37: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments The title alone will work.


message 38: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1646 comments Terri FL wrote: "The title alone will work."

Great ---- thank you!


message 39: by Gabriella (last edited Jul 17, 2016 09:44AM) (new)

Gabriella | 234 comments Would this work for option B?
Pietr-le-Letton by Georges Simenon


message 40: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Gabriella wrote: "Would this work for option B?
Pietr-le-Letton by Georges Simenon"


Sorry for the delay in my response. I didn't see the picture on my ipad, and kept forgetting to respond when I got to work!

All I see there is a train station, and, this task is more about your ideal place to live. I'm not sure anyone could live in a train station. The definition of a dwelling is "a building or place of shelter to live in; place of residence; abode; home." So, no, unfortunately, I do not see this book working for this task. Sorry.


message 41: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Checking to see if this works for Option A

My ideal house or location to live would be Island House


message 42: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Jamie wrote: "Checking to see if this works for Option A

My ideal house or location to live would be Island House"


Yes, that will work.


message 43: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 135 comments Hi Terri, would you accept "A Room of One's Own" by Virginia Woolf for Option A?


message 44: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Sara wrote: "Hi Terri, would you accept "A Room of One's Own" by Virginia Woolf for Option A?"

I loved that book and could definitely understand why anyone would want to live in a room of their own, so, yes, that would work!


message 45: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 135 comments Terri FL wrote: "Sara wrote: "Hi Terri, would you accept "A Room of One's Own" by Virginia Woolf for Option A?"

I loved that book and could definitely understand why anyone would want to live in a room of their ow..."


Great! I hoped so :) Thank you, Terri!


message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie | 241 comments How's this for Option B? I'd love to live in a city.
Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon


message 47: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Katie wrote: "How's this for Option B? I'd love to live in a city.
Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon"


Yes, that shows many dwellings to live in, so, it would work.


message 48: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 205 comments Will this book work for Option A:

My ideal house or location to live would be _____________. My Home As I Remember?


message 49: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Sam F wrote: "Will this book work for Option A:

My ideal house or location to live would be _____________. My Home As I Remember?"


Yes, that would work.


message 50: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 990 comments Would this work for Option B - habitat?
It's a Wonderful Wife (Sinclair Brothers, #3) by Janet Chapman


« previous 1
back to top