Space Opera Fans discussion

Previous BOTM Threads > Torchship by Karl K. Gallagher

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

We're all just slogging along, trying to get by, and that doesn't change when you get out into outer space. Especially when you have an overbearing government and need to maybe cut a few corners? That's the premise behind Torchship by Karl K. Gallagher.

Torchship by Karl K. Gallagher Karl K. Gallagher

A captain who'll take any job if there's enough money in it.

A pilot with an agenda of her own.

And a mechanic with an eye on the pilot.

The crew of the Fives Full are just trying to make enough money to keep themselves in the black while avoiding the attention of a government so paranoid it's repealed Moore's Law. They're not looking for adventure in the stars . . . but they're not going to back down just because something got in their way.

ARE YOU READING TORCHSHIP? Shout it out in the discussion below, find some book buddies to read along, and discuss what you think with people in the know. Just remember to be kind please and use the spoiler html so you don't ruin the fun for somebody who's not so far along.

Be epic!

Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 99 comments I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to a re-read.

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2320 comments Mod
I started reading this one back in January, but lost interest halfway through. I'll be reading this thread in hopes of it reviving my interest so I can finish the book.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) ***************************************************************

WHOO-HOO!!!

AWESOME AUTHOR INTERVIEW! GET THE SCOOP!

HERE: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 12 comments The interview got my attention. Anyone else reading this book in the next few days? If so, give me a word and we can try a budy read...

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin Clack (jclack2) | 3 comments I'm in!

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 338 comments I bought it a couple of days ago, so I'll be reading it shortly too.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin Clack (jclack2) | 3 comments I really enjoyed it. I don't know much about the author but he is writing what I like to read. At first I wanted to know more about the AI's but then I realized he was building suspense. Can't wait for more from him!

message 9: by Fiannawolf (new)

Fiannawolf | 163 comments Ill get this next payday. Kinda spent my fun money on Superman this time.

Really looks interesting. My amazon wishlist will never be satiated.

message 10: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 338 comments I'm about a third of the way through this one, and enjoying it very much!

message 11: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 338 comments I've just finished this one, and I can happily say that I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be looking for the next one. It reminded me a lot of Firefly.

message 12: by Mervi (new)

Mervi | 15 comments I'm in chapter 6 and enjoying it so far. I like the crew and the captain.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) OMG! I started this yesterday and just could not put it down. Some of the reviews have called it "hard" SF. I don't but that. It has characters! It has plot! It has adventure!

The technical stuff in hard SF usually takes precedence over everything else until it strangles you. This doesn't. Ergo, not hard science fiction.

I just hope we can see a follow-up from this author!

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 99 comments There is a follow-up. Mentioned here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Torchship (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karl K. Gallagher (other topics)