The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > July and August's Group Reads Are .....

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10089 comments Mod
Please read the rules for nominating BEFORE you create your post!! And check our bookshelves to be sure you are not nominating something we have already read as a group!

The categories for July and August are:

July - American History / Historical Fiction

August - Science Fiction

If you nominate the book, and the book is chosen as a group read, you agree to lead the discussion for that month! Don't worry, it's not hard, and we'll love you all the more for it!

Please do not nominate a book more than once. A book can only be voted on once, so multiple nominations within this thread are not counted.

Only ONE nomination per month per person.

Please be sure to post the title, author, and the month you are nominating it for.

Ideally, you can type it as follows -
August - Room - Emma Donoghue

If your post does not have those three things, it will not be counted.

Are you ready?

I'll accept nominations through the 11th. If we get tons of nominations, I may pull the plug on it a little early, so get them in as soon as you can!

Once I close nominations I will create the polls and let you know when it is time to vote!

Hit us with your best noms!

**Important note: At no time is it acceptable for an author to nominate one of his/her own books for the monthly group read. Likewise, it is not acceptable to "push" nominations or votes within this group. "A nomination for a nomination" is also not acceptable. If I suspect a push, or inappropriate actions have taken place within the group read nominations or votes, I reserve the right to deem those nominations or votes as ineligible.

message 2: by Victor (last edited Jun 02, 2016 07:53AM) (new)

message 3: by Tina (last edited Jun 03, 2016 10:08AM) (new)

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin July - abstaining since it will be very hectic and I'm not sure how much GR I'll be able to do.

August - Genesis - Bernard Beckett

message 8: by David (new)

David O'Neal | 89 comments August - The Humans - Matt Haig

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Barter (emuriel777) | 59 comments July , 'My Notorious Life'-Kate Manning
August, 'Children of Man'-P.D. James

message 10: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) Elizabeth wrote: "July , 'My Notorious Life'-Kate Manning
August, 'Children of Man'-P.D. James"

The Children of Men was a group read in 2010.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Barter (emuriel777) | 59 comments Heather L wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "July , 'My Notorious Life'-Kate Manning
August, 'Children of Man'-P.D. James"

The Children of Men was a group read in 2010."

I didn't know that. Has anyone read 'Station Eleven'?

message 12: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Alrighty!

Nominations are closed, and the polls have been opened!

Come vote in which books you'd' most like to read with us in July and August. Polls close on Tuesday, the 21st!

May the best books win!!!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 13: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

And we have our winners! Thank you to everyone who nominated and voted!

In July we'll be reading and discussing ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE which will be lead by Ethan!!!

And in August we will be reading and discussing THE HUMANS which will be lead by David!!!

Whoooo! Great selections everyone!

message 14: by Victor (new)

Victor Davis (victor-a-davis) | 18 comments I had a feeling last year's Pulitzer winner might win out, if only for name recognition. Been procrastinating on it, but now can't wait to read it with everybody!

message 15: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 1260 comments Victor wrote: "I had a feeling last year's Pulitzer winner might win out, if only for name recognition. Been procrastinating on it, but now can't wait to read it with everybody!"

I'm in the same boat. I'm glad to finally have an excuse to read it!

message 16: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin I have read it. Pretty good read. I may pop in to see how you all are doing and join in any discussion. (promise not to spoil)

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 21 comments Looking forward to these reads.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Samantha, we've already nominated, polled, and named our group read books. Look up in the comments, you'll see!