Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Tokyo Low Life - 25 k story about adventure in Japan

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ewok (new)

Ewok | 17 comments Hi!

Hope you're all well.

It'd be great if you could beta read my novella:

'Tokyo Low Life' takes us to Tokyo into the life and mind of Aaron Bartleby, a 20 something trying to make sense of himself as his sense of direction in life dissipates. It opens with an encounter with some homeless punks who live an alternative jobless lifestyle on the streets. Our narrator becomes oddly envious of them and tries to embrace the unknown more in his own life with humorous other times dangerous results. His attempts to form a band end with a show being stopped by underworld of Japan - the yakuza - he gets in trouble with the police and even forms a bond with an ex member of the radical 1960s communist group sekigun. Meanwhile, he goes through a series of demeaning teaching jobs and begins to realise that day to day life in the East isn't as romantic as he thought. However, he is able to find moments of bliss through the connections that pass through his life like a conveyor belt as he continues to search for meaning in a land he never quite feels he can call home.

message 2: by HitC (new)

HitC (hitcgirl) | 136 comments Hi Ewok,

This sounds interesting, especially being set in Japan. I could give you a general critique going over plot, characters, setting, writing quality, and problem spots for $50.

If you're interested, check out my website, www.owlediting.com, for testimonials and credentials. If you're not looking for a professional right now, I wish you the best of luck on your writing journey!

message 3: by Ewok (new)

Ewok | 17 comments Thank you!

Anybody else up for this? Looking forward to working with you :)

message 4: by nomars (new)

nomars (notmars) | 6 comments I would love to look at this and it looks really cool! I really like the idea that the main character is looking for a place where he can feel at home and going through the struggles to find it. Excited to see where this will go!
:)

message 5: by Ewok (new)

Ewok | 17 comments Thank you for the interest!

my email is:

mrwilliambradbury@gmail.com