Discourse in a Digital Age discussion

Snow Crash

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Finished the book two days ago, and still pondering where it fits in the list of Stephenson's books I've loved. He just can't keep from stopping the action to tell us everything he's learned about his latest enthusiasm (see "The Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"), from Sumerian language to the fine points of programming. I loved that in "Reamde" and "Seveneves" but found it distracting and annoying here, mostly because it wasn't at all convincing coming in huge gobbets from Hiro's mouth. He hasn't been set up as a polymath, and even if everything he tells us he got straight from The Librarian, it doesn't ring true.
That said, I loved the satire, the characters of Y.T. and Raven, the scary concept of the Raft, and the crazy Kourier-pooner slang.

message 2: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Well, what the hey?! Is no one else in our group reading this book? Isn't the discussion this coming Wednesday pm??
Feeling very lonely here...

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I read 6 months ago...just need to refresh my memory before Wednesday. And then need to find time to read other titles by him...

message 4: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Ok, this is me chilling -- keep forgetting I'm luxuriating in retirement while the rest (most) of you are still wage slaves.

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Btw, has anyone else read "Girl Waits With Gun"? Almost finished, and enjoying it very much.

message 6: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Parks | 19 comments Lucy wrote: "Btw, has anyone else read "Girl Waits With Gun"? Almost finished, and enjoying it very much."

I'm in the middle of it (GWWG) now and really like it, especially the pace of character development and plot and minor historical detail drawing me in.
Will miss seeing you all Weds. night--first chapter set up of Snow Crash was fun but didn't have the patience for more.

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Oh rats, Kim -- we need you for a balanced discussion, or as I privately think of it, to be the adult in the room!

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Hardcastle | 166 comments Mod
This session of the book club is rather sneaking up on me. I will see you folks tomorrow to discuss this massive work. Oh, it looks like I'm bringing the treats. How clever of me! Quick, any ideas?

I am really enjoying Stephenson's treatment of an America that doesn't seem too far away from where we are today. Any other thoughts, media to discuss, or interesting ideas?

message 9: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Food from any "franchullate" would be appropriate, but go easy on yourself and just get some cookies or cake. We'll nosh on anything. And 'Snow Crash' isn't massive, not on the Stephenson oeuvre anyway.
where to start with ideas for discussion - maybe with an interview with him to see what started him on the Sumerian/bicameral mind research?

message 10: by Kenneth (new)

True. I chose this one because it was rather the shortest of Stephenson's works. Nevertheless, it's not small, the opportunities for discussion are endless.

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments I have 10 pages left to go. There are parts that I really liked and ideas. But other parts were boring and drawn out.

message 12: by Kenneth (new)

Ooh, I like the author's take on social media. Similar to many other authors, really, but he puts it so well:

http://www.nealstephenson.com/social-...

message 13: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Oh, totally! "pictures of other people's cats" will be the downfall of civilization as we know it -- productivity vanishes as one's social media usage becomes more feverish (and it ALWAYS does).

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
"Not reading the comments" is a pretty standard survival tactic on social media. And hiding people that post dumb pics etc is pretty easy. Social media allows me to stay connected with friends and family and helps curate my news intake. Yes it can decrease productivity if you let it or hide in it but it's a pretty powerful tool for good as well. See response to Brock Turner verdict as a current example. I'm not saying civilization isn't hurtling towards the abyss but I don't lay even a large amount of blame for this at the foot of social media. Just look at GoodReads and how it has changed the/my experience of reading.