Reading 1001 discussion

Excellent Women
This topic is about Excellent Women
Archives > 10. Review and Rating

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour 10. Share your review and rating with the group.

Book Wormy | 1819 comments Mod
I would give this 3 stars

This book was written in the 50s however it is still relevant to a certain degree today, the problems facing women have changed but are still recognizable.

Unfortunately I found the story to be quite dry and dull.

Anna Fennell | 107 comments 4 Stars

On the front of the book cover, it says "Written with the wit and style of a twentieth century Jane Austen". I found the book to be rather enjoyable and although it reminded me a bit of Jane Austen it lacked the twist that you often see in her works. I was amused with the time period and the actions f the character. In addition, the main character, Mildred, was witty in her observations and I enjoyed her point of view.

Kristel (kristelh) | 3830 comments Mod
4 stars
A story of a spinster, Mildred Lathbury, in London, England. She is in her thirties, works in an agency that helps gentlewomen in need. She keeps busy in her small church and helping other people and preparing tea for those who come to her for help. She is the epitome of an excellent woman. They help with church activities and help their neighbors and friends. Spinster women with no life of their own must involve themselves in the lives of others. This book is a comedy of manners. Reading it reminded me of watching British sit coms. I love them. I loved this book. It read "British". I could hear the accent.

message 5: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1306 comments I loved this book. I almost gave it five stars. It is the kind of book that produces a wry smile rather than a raucous laugh. It is a very astute depiction of the minutiae of life. I cannot believe that I had never heard of Barbara Pym previously. This book is a gem.

Tracy (tstan) | 556 comments 3.5 stars
This was a nice change of pace. I liked the gentle humor and was interested in the characters. It kind of reminded me of the TV show Keeping Up Appearances, except without the antics of Hyacinth Bucket (it's Boo-kay, dear.)

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I'm feeling like there's something wrong with me. I'm reading all these glowing reviews and wondering if I'm reading the wrong book. I'm really struggling with this and finding it extremely dry and dull. I am listening to the audio which is maybe part of the problem.

Lynn L | 152 comments 4 stars. I enjoyed this read. There isn't a lot of action but Mildred is a woman I would like to know. She seems earnest and kind. Just the type of person who is a good friend. Quirky characters and humorous situations make this a book that I looked forward to reading.

Kristel (kristelh) | 3830 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "I'm feeling like there's something wrong with me. I'm reading all these glowing reviews and wondering if I'm reading the wrong book. I'm really struggling with this and finding it extremely dry and..."
I didn't think it would be your kind of book.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
2.5 stars.
I clearly read (well, listened to) a different book from everyone else. I disliked liked it because I found it incredibly dry and dull. I didn't care about any of the characters, not because they were dislikable but because I found them all boring. There were moments of humor when it picked up a little for me but for the most part I found it all rather inane.

Sallys | 38 comments 5 stars
I loved it and found it quite amusing. It was a nice, light read.

Diane | 1922 comments Rating: 4 Stars
Read: October 2016

I enjoyed this story about the life of Mildred, a 30-something, middle-classed, spinster in 1950's England. I found her humorous insights and thoughts amusing. It did take me a while to get into the story, but once I did I was hooked. It reminded me of a 1950s version of an Austen novel.

message 13: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Robitaille | 895 comments Excellent Women (Barbara Pym) *

"One of the most endearingly amusing English novels of the twentieth century" - Alexander McCall Smith

NOT.

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Patrick wrote: "Excellent Women (Barbara Pym) *

"One of the most endearingly amusing English novels of the twentieth century" - Alexander McCall Smith

NOT."

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was kinder than you in my rating but tend to agree with you :)