Reading 1001 discussion

Excellent Women
This topic is about Excellent Women
Archives > 9. Not Jane Eyre?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour 9. Why does Mildred insist that she is nothing like the gothic heroine Jane Eyre? What does this suggest about her modesty or her self-regard? Do you think she might be termed a heroine, even if an untraditional one? What about her is heroic? What about her story is an adventure, a quest, or a journey?

Book Wormy | 1820 comments Mod
I would not say Mildred is a heroine she is just living her life as it happens and observing those around her. I would also say her story is not an adventure, quest or journey.

Anna Fennell | 107 comments I agree. She is definitely not like Jane Eyre. Mildred seems to get swept up into life and does not really act except when buying that Hawaiian Fire lip stick. She goes where the current takes her and seems perfectly fine helping others but not necessarily doing things for herself.

Kristel (kristelh) | 3829 comments Mod
She is not Jane Eyre for all the reason listed by Book.

message 5: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1308 comments It is quite a while since I read Jane Eyre, but wasn't she quite self effacing in the same manner as Muriel? I think they are both heroines. Perhaps the quest is to find a spouse?

Kristel (kristelh) | 3829 comments Mod
Good point, Pip.