Reading 1001 discussion

Excellent Women
This topic is about Excellent Women
Archives > 7. Mildred lives alone . . .

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Jun 02, 2016 04:43AM) (new)

John Seymour 7. Mildred lives alone, as do many of the minor characters in the novel, including Dora, William, and Everard Bone. What do these characters gain by living alone, and what do they lose? Who is happy with his or her situation, and who seeks to change it? What do you think the author’s attitude is toward these characters? What is yours?

Book Wormy | 1989 comments Mod
William seems happy to live alone.

Dora, Everard and Mildred I think would rather have someone in their lives.

Living on their own allows the characters freedom as they don't have to think about or look after someone else but they lose the joy of having companionship.

I would say Midred, William and Everard are not actively trying to change their lives while the married characters Helena and Rockingham seem unhappy and want change.

Anna Fennell | 107 comments Mildred definitely enjoys her own space. Whenever there is a possibility of having someone else staying with her or when they do (like Dora) it seems to cause her rather a lot of discomfort.

Kristel (kristelh) | 4109 comments Mod
I think this is a very important question that the book brings to the reader. Learning to live alone can be a good thing.

message 5: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1409 comments Dora has her own accommodation, but hardly lives alone in a girls' boarding school! The others all like their own space. Muriel does not want Winifred to share her accommodation even though she is a dear friend. The way the secret of warming the wine by the fire as something not to be shared publically is one example of Pym satirising the single life.

Lynn L | 152 comments I think Mildred lives alone due to circumstances. I got the feeling that if her parents were alive she would be living with them.

I feel like Mildred wants to live alone. New neighbors seems to bring out an undercurrent of anxiety in her. She doesn't want her friend to live with her.