Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's Murder 'n Mayhem May Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments This month was consumed by blazing through Val McDermid's Carol Jordan/Tony Hill British police procedural series. I haven't done binge-reading of a series in a long time, but I was totally hooked. Lucas Davenport provided the diversion in this Murder n Mayhem May.

Beneath The Bleeding (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #5) by Val McDermid Beneath The Bleeding. Val McDermid. Read by Gerard Doyle. 4/5

Jordan and Hill collaborate on two cases; a poisoner and a bomber. This while Tony is stuck in hospital and an estranged family member shows up. The ins and outs of unexpected cases, and the twists in the lives of the detectives, make this an entertaining (if violent) series. Gerard Doyle provided the skillful narration, mastering accents, genders and emotions.

Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6) by Val McDermid Fever of the Bone. Val McDermid. Read by Gerard Doyle. 5/5

Carol Jordan gets a new boss who wants her team to prove itself, and without Tony Hill, who he deems too expensive. And of course her team does, in two cases, one involving the disappearance of a woman and her young baby, and another involving a series of bizarre murders of teenagers. This latter case turned out to have an interesting twist. Secrets from Tony’s past are revealed and add to the drama of his and Carol’s lives. This one was a page-turner.

The Retribution (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #7) by Val McDermid The Retribution. Val McDermid. Read by Read by Saul Reichlin. 4/5

Jacko Vance has escaped from prison, and is about to unleash a world of hurt on Carol Jordan and Tony Hill. This was the hardest one in the series to listen to, but still unputdownable. Things happen and are said in this episode that it is impossible to imagine them recovering from. On to Cross and Burn. I hope McDermid is hard at work on the next installment because I'm quickly catching up with this binge-listen to the series. A switch in narrators grated, but I got used to him.

Extreme Prey (Lucas Davenport, #26) by John Sandford Extreme Prey. John Sandford. Read by Richard Ferrone. 5/5

As a result of his last case Lucas Davenport is off the Minneapolis Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, and at loose ends, when he is approached by the governor, who is running for president, to look into threats against one of his opponents. Lucas gets to the bottom of things with his usual grit, determination, collegiality, and above all sense of humor. This series is one of my top must-read, drop-everything-else books. Richard Ferrone's gravelly narration somehow works for the series.

Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8) by Val McDermid Cross and Burn. Val McDermid. Narrator: Gerard Doyle. 4/5

Another taut police procedure featuring Carol Jordan and Tony Hill. I love the multiple characters McDermid surrounds them with, and the police politics layered on top of multiple caseloads.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments I say, good month.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Great month Carol!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments Those binge reads are sometimes fun! I haven't read a Lucas Davenport story in some time. Need to look into Extreme Prey!

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments I've never read McDermid.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Great sounding audio month Carol! *pun intended!
You are tempting me to try the McDermid series sooner than later. I'll have to see if my library has them on audio