Classical Obsessions discussion

Geography and Languages

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elline Pelline (new)

Elline Pelline | 46 comments Mod
I am not only a reader, I also love traveling and learning new languages. Here we can discuss languages and where we come from!

I am from Norway, as you might already know, and Norwegian is my mother tongue. I also understand Swedish and Danish quite well, since our languages are closely related. I learn English and Spanish at school, and try to learn French, Italian, Latin, German and Greek on my own. I'm a bit nerdy, I know.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My mother tongue is also norwegian but I'm also half finnish and live in Finland. But of course I understand swedish (and danish a liittle bit) and estonian as well. I'm currently learning hebrew, and have previously studied japanese.
I just love languages!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Wow, you guys are awesome!!! The only language I speak fluently is English (I'm from the U.S. and I've lived here all my life), but I know a tiny bit of Spanish and a fair bit of Latin. I'm also working on becoming fluent in German (I studied it for two years in college) but I'm not really there yet :-)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Wow, you guys are awesome!!! The only language I speak fluently is English (I'm from the U.S. and I've lived here all my life), but I know a tiny bit of Spanish and a fair bit of Latin. I'm also wo..."

You'll get there, I know it! :-)
(I also tried german for awhile, but I didn't like it that much...)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Wow, you guys are awesome!!! The only language I speak fluently is English (I'm from the U.S. and I've lived here all my life), but I know a tiny bit of Spanish and a fair bit of La..."

Thanks! :-)

message 6: by Elline Pelline (new)

I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to try a non-German-Latin-Greek language. Dutch or Portugeese, there are some similarities. But Chinese... Not at all! But Hindi or Japanese would have been fun :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to try a non-German-Latin-Greek language. Dutch or Portugeese, there are some similarities. But Chinese... Not at all! But Hindi or Japanese would have been fun :)"

Japanese is a really fascinating language! I learned a great deal from anime with english subtitles^^

message 8: by Elli the Elf (new)

Elli the Elf (ellitheelf) | 9 comments My mother tongue is Norwegian as well (and therefore also understand Swedish and Danish), but I am almost equally fluent in English because i lived in the US for about a year when i was younger. I know a tiny bit french and I am trying to learn the basics of Polish. Next year I'll be learning Latin in School something I am really looking forward to.

message 9: by Elline Pelline (new)

You're so lucky, Ellisiv! Remember what you promised me about the Russian card

message 10: by Elli the Elf (new)

Elli the Elf (ellitheelf) | 9 comments Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "You're so lucky, Ellisiv! Remember what you promised me about the Russian card "

Haha, Russian card!! Started to panic thinking I'd forgotten something before I got it ;)

message 11: by Elline Pelline (new)

It was a clever one :-P

message 12: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 10 comments I only speak Englush-I hesitate to add fluently, because my grammar is sometimes horrible-and know a smattering of Spanish. That, I am currently undertaking to study more, and then I want to learn German, if I can!

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby My native tongue is English, but I know a fair deal of German, and have studied Dutch as well as French, which is a beautiful language!

message 14: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet I speak only English, but I have lots of Welsh ancestors, so I want to learn Welsh. I am extremely interested in the Gaelic languages, and hope to learn both Scottish and Irish Gaelic, and it would be fun to learn Cornish. I intend to learn Latin, like my mum and after that Greek and Hebrew, like my dad.

message 15: by Elline Pelline (new)

Elsabet wrote: "I speak only English, but I have lots of Welsh ancestors, so I want to learn Welsh. I am extremely interested in the Gaelic languages, and hope to learn both Scottish and Irish Gaelic, and it would..."

Wow, how cool!

message 16: by Έλλη (last edited Jun 19, 2016 12:34AM) (new)

Έλλη (ellietolia) | 10 comments I am from Greece and I speak fluently Greek, English (US and UK but I prefer the latter), French and I also know some words and phrases in Italian, Spanish and German too. We learned Ancient Greek at school too. It's a very fascinating language with many similarities with the modern Greek. We also hear Ancient Greek when we go to church here in Greece. The gospels and the hymns of the Orthodox Church are all written in Ancient Greek! I recently watched a play "Socrate's Plea" where the actors spoke Ancient Greek! Very fascinating!!!

I would like to speak Italian someday but I have so many things to do and I'm a bit lazy so.. I learned Spanish, Italian and German mostly from Doki but also from italian songs like Eros Ramazzotti's and some German from Rammmstein. I would like to learn Latin too!

message 17: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Έλλη wrote: "I am from Greece and I speak fluently Greek, English (US and UK but I prefer the latter), French and I also know some words and phrases in Italian, Spanish and German too. We learned Ancient Greek ..."

Niiiiiiiice. My Dad studies ancient Greek and Hebrew so that he can read the bible in it's original form. I love the sound of Hebrew (it's a very gutteral language, which pleases me) but honestly, Greek would be more useful.

My dad once met a girl who was from Greece with her name in Greek tattooed on her wrist.
"Your name is Christina?" He asked.
She got a little flustered and told him "People can't usually read that!"

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Elsabet wrote: "Έλλη wrote: "I am from Greece and I speak fluently Greek, English (US and UK but I prefer the latter), French and I also know some words and phrases in Italian, Spanish and German too. We learned A..."

I love hebrew too! The sound of it is just wonderful and the letters so interesting. That's why I've been learning it in the first place.
But I'd love to be able to read and understand Greek as well!