Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > May 2014: The Goldfinch

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3017 comments Mod
Discussion!

message 2: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 92 comments I'm finally reading a book of the month, during the actual month! :) I'm only up to page 115, but I'm really enjoying the writing and how easy it is to become totally involved in the story.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews Teri: "I don't see any discussion for this book. Does that mean no one read it?"

I'm also a newbie and that would be sad if this was all the interest this book generated. I have mixed emotions about the book. There really weren't any characters I warmed to but even so the book was so well written that by the end I knew and could empathize with almost all of them.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews teri wrote: " it could have used some editing during the Las Vegas section"

I rather enjoyed the part about Las Vegas. I suspect that Tartt was letting her inner easterner out and using it to express the view of the American West as a cultural wasteland. It also created an isolated environment that allowed to friendship between Theo and Boris to flourish. Finally, it is interesting to just ponder how I felt when I read the Las Vegas chapters compared to those when Theo was in New York. In comparison, New York seemed almost claustrophobic.

message 5: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) I just finished it and truly loved it. I agree that it feels like it was written over a very long time, but then the book covers a rather long time in the life of the main character and to me it felt appropriate. I enjoyed the portrayal of both Vegas and NYC .. very interesting as I'm on the West Coast and know neither apart from short visits.
The book kept on surprising me. It felt like a wonderfully wild ride and I'm usually drawn to "not-so-likeable" characters .. loved them in this book!

message 6: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 92 comments I had to return library version, so purchased it on Kindle. I am hoping to finish up soon, but I might run into June. :)

message 7: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Tom, what a wonderful observation!! Now that I think about it, you're right. Las Vegas was so open and free and New York seemed shadier and closed off, as if Theo was trapped and couldn't escape.

I loved Theo's character from the start. I don't know if it's because we are introduced to him from when he's a small child (I find it hard to hate children in books haha), but he had this way about him. I just wanted to reach out and hug him, and tell him it was going to be okay. And then I was heartbroken for him when his POS dad showed up- I knew that wasnt going to end well. Then he meets Boris... you could just tell what direction his life was going.

I love Donna Tartt's work- The Secret History is one of my favorite all-time books- and I feel like this one did not disappoint me.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews Alissa: "I love Donna Tartt's work- The Secret History is one of my favorite all-time books"

I'm definitely putting "The Little Friend" on my TBR list after this. I read "The Secret History" a few years ago and just looked back at what I rated it. I think I rated it lower than I should have as it is one of those books that has stuck with me over the years and I no longer think of it as 'average'.