Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > May 2014: Outlander

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
Discussion!

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I read this long ago- back when it was still found in the sci-fi section of my library. Loved it, read it again, and then read the whole series (so far.)

I find Clair such a good role model, and Jaime, so romantic.

message 3: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne I would dearly love to reread the entire series but there are so many other books out there I haven't read once yet!

message 4: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne Lisa wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "I would dearly love to reread the entire series but there are so many other books out there I haven't read once yet!"

I know, but I feel like I forget stuff every time the latest b..."

Yes. There is just too much time in between books. When each new one comes out I just live with the fact that I have forgotten stuff. It never seems to really matter!

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I mostly care about Jaime and Claire- I kind of skim read the long parts with people I'm not so invested in.

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra Bonnie wrote: "I mostly care about Jaime and Claire- I kind of skim read the long parts with people I'm not so invested in."

Somewhere along the way Ian becomes a key player, too. I've gotten very interested in his story.
I should continue with the series soon; the next for me to read is A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I was going to wait for her to finish writing the series before continuing.

message 7: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments I read this book shortly after buying it and couldn't put it down as he advanced. Always said and I maintain. Outlander is more than a love story also caught my attention because a book with different genres is, have a bit of science fiction by time travel, is historic for the very real descriptions of Scotland in 1743 and obviously a love story, a very beautiful it has become one of my favorites, but it's something I see as a supplement for love is part of our lives. I also admire the character of Claire, it's definitely a woman ahead of her time, is strong and intelligent and is not the typical damsel in distress, but struggle to survive using what he knows best, medicine. Not all women have acted as she did. And Jamie is the most sweet man in the world, more than romantic, he's honest and honor, something we need sometimes, but sometimes he exaggerates, leading discussions with Claire xD
So definitely give the best rating and if I could give it 10 stars instead of 5. :)

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) | 8 comments I loved it! Has anyone checked out the other books in the series yet?

message 9: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 90 comments I've read this one ages ago, and every single one in the series. This is a series I've reread quite a few times. I just had to peek to see what others were saying about it. :)

message 10: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Gussman | 25 comments Since this is discussion, I assume spoilers are OK??

This is my first time reading Outlander. It's interesting, funny and so romantic ...but... Doesn't it bother anyone else that Claire is married to two men? I've tried to reconcile in my head that Frank wasn't born, that she was forced into it, but it's kind of like the pea under the mattress--it's keeping me from truly loving what I feel is a great book.

message 11: by Jessie (last edited May 28, 2014 05:41AM) (new)

Jessie Gussman | 25 comments Right. It totally feels like cheating. Even though I'm rooting for Jamie (whom I LOVE) and her to be together, it bothers me that I feel this way. What does that say about my own character that in certain instances (time travel, maybe)I might think cheating is OK? Every time I try to justify Jamie and Claire's relationship, there are holes all through my reasoning.

I do agree that her love for Frank is very different than her love for Jamie. Still...

message 12: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Jessie wrote: "Since this is discussion, I assume spoilers are OK??

This is my first time reading Outlander. It's interesting, funny and so romantic ...but... Doesn't it bother anyone else that Claire is marr..."

In a way I agree with you. What Frank was unfair, but nobody could foresee what would happen, that Claire would travel in time, would meet this eighteenth century Scottish Highlander and would end up falling for him. Don't know much about marriage, but I recognize a marriage that despite getting along, there was that was missing, that spark with couples that make them stand. Something that if you Jamie.
When I read Outlander, pages where you see the marriage of Claire and Frank, I noticed that the war left its mark on two of them, for example, how to exclaim Claire, so famous, Jesus H Roosevelt Christ! , Which Frank ashamed. Always noticed that Frank was ashamed of modes or Claire gave advice she didn't ask (But this does not appear in Outlander, then in the following books, but I will not give spoilers). That give my preference to Jamie, the time to listen to Claire is given, even though she always gets into trouble. Personally, as a woman, I wouldn't want a man, unless my partner, critique my personality and tired problems I've had for that reason several men.

message 13: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Gussman | 25 comments Thank you for the encouragement. I just finished. Eight hundred and some odd pages weren't enough... I want to start the next book! Is Dragonfly in Amber next?? Do they need to be read in order?

I think that Claire talking to the priest helped me reconcile things somewhat. She felt guilty, and, maybe this is mean of me, but that made me feel a little better.

At any rate, I'm glad I finally read it; I've heard such good things about it, and now I understand why people rave about it. Definitely a great book.

message 14: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Jessie wrote: "Thank you for the encouragement. I just finished. Eight hundred and some odd pages weren't enough... I want to start the next book! Is Dragonfly in Amber next?? Do they need to be read in orde..."

Yes, you have to read the books in order.
1. Outlander
2. Dragonfly in Amber.
3. Voyager.
4. Drums of Autumn.
5. The Fiery Cross.
6. A Breath of Snow and Ashes.
7. An Echo in the Bone.
8. Written in My Own Heart's Blood (This has just
been published)

I've read the other seven.
I think I have never seen the situation as guilty, because I'm not Catholic, I haven't religion, I believe in God, but God gave me freewill for a reason, don't you thinl? I'm not going to do stupid things, of course. But it's true that Claire needed reconciled with itself and the conversation with the priest was more than fruitful. Luckily, it was one of those priests who have a little more open minded.
You've read what happened to Jamie, it was horrible, I talked with fans who have said that was partly as an atonement for stealing the woman to another man, but still suffered a lot when I attended and learned another thing that never think it was possible in a rape, but will not mention out of respect for the man.
It's a great book because it leaves no detail to escape, despite being written in the first person, Claire is very observant and so we learn that each character goes through his life with details included. Don't confuse them and that's great.
I hope the second book you like more, but in my opinion, you will mourn and things start to take action from Voyager.

Luck anyway :)

message 15: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Lisa wrote: "Jessie wrote: "Thank you for the encouragement. I just finished. Eight hundred and some odd pages weren't enough... I want to start the next book! Is Dragonfly in Amber next?? Do they need to ..."

It's a good idea. I'm hoping to go on sale in Spanish edition :)
I'm also excited about the series, I think the casting is very well armed and are very nice, not like other celebrities. For instance, my name in Gaelic, wrote me Gaelic instructor Outlander series, Àdhamh Ó Broin

message 16: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Gussman | 25 comments Lisa wrote: As Natàilia shared above, you do have to read them in order. Maybe we can buddy read Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8) by Diana Gabaldon when/if you get there. :)

I would LOVE to! If you don't mind waiting on me. If all the books are as long as Outlander, it could be a while, and I think your suggestion to take a breather is a good one. I think I would burn out if I took them too fast.

Natàilia wrote: It's a great book because it leaves no detail to escape, despite being written in the first person, Claire is very observant and so we learn that each character goes through his life with details included.

I agree! Gabaldon does an excellent job of allowing the reader to get to know each character, despite the prose being first person (which I normally do not like!) Thank you for listing the series in order.

message 17: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 90 comments I never gave much thought about the cheating aspect, I think because I totally split the two different time frames in my mind. I've read all but the newest, but it has been years. I am thinking I should reread them all before then. If anyone wants to buddy read any if them let me know. :)

message 18: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne It has been years since I read Outlander. Please remind me - when Claire marries Jamie does she know that she is able to return to Frank or does she think she is stuck permanently in the past?

message 19: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Gussman | 25 comments Phrynne said: does she know that she is able to return to Frank or does she think she is stuck permanently in the past?

She doesn't know either way, at that point. But she marries Jamie with the full intention of trying to go back when she gets the opportunity.

I haven't read the whole series yet (so maybe I sound like an idiot, sorry). Is there some kind of compelling plot issue that necessitates her marriage to Frank?

Honestly, other than that issue, I absolutely loved the book.

message 20: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne Jessie wrote: "Phrynne said: does she know that she is able to return to Frank or does she think she is stuck permanently in the past?

She doesn't know either way, at that point. But she marries Jamie with t..."

Isn't he Breanna's father?

message 21: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Phrynne wrote: "Jessie wrote: "Phrynne said: does she know that she is able to return to Frank or does she think she is stuck permanently in the past?

She doesn't know either way, at that point. But she marri..."

I'm sorry Phrynne. Frank isn't Brianna's father. Is Jamie. Also, if you read the books, Brianna is back Jamie, tall, more than Claire, red hair and blue eyes. Ring a bell?

message 22: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Jessie wrote: "Phrynne said: does she know that she is able to return to Frank or does she think she is stuck permanently in the past?

She doesn't know either way, at that point. But she marries Jamie with t..."

Dude, you have a long way to go and many mysteries to solve ;)

message 23: by Jessie (last edited May 29, 2014 10:03AM) (new)

Jessie Gussman | 25 comments Natàilia said: Dude, you have a long way to go and many mysteries to solve ;)

LOL!! I am currently reading three books, and I want to drop them all and BUY (because there is a waiting list at both the libraries I frequent) Dragonfly in Amber. Hmm... Self-control...I guess I don't have much.

Lisa said: Ouch guys spoilers.... Protecting the innocence of the uninformed??

If Outlander is any indication of how well Galbaldon weaves a story, I'm sure there is a reason for Frank.

I loved how she wove the information about healing herbs into the story. Then I read on her website that she had degrees in those areas. Neat.

message 24: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Lisa wrote: "Ouch guys spoilers...."

Sorry, it wasn't my intention!!

message 25: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne I am very sorry too. It is so long since I read the early books I thought more happened in the first one than obviously did. I will go sit in the corner quietly now :)

message 26: by Jessie (last edited May 29, 2014 03:30PM) (new)

Jessie Gussman | 25 comments Lisa said: I've read the books but not sure how Jessie feels about finding out stuff in advance. :) Totally OK, here, too. I am such a read the back of the book first (or as soon as I start to feel the slightest bit uncomfortable about the storyline) kind of girl. Of course, I didn't do that with Outlander because I was reading it on my Kindle, I'm kind of new to the whole Kindle thing, the book is long and I didn't want to lose my place.

Maybe my assumption was wrong, but since this is discussion, I assumed there would be spoilers here. Am I the only one whose been living in a cave (reading scrolls by candlelight, apparently) and not read the whole Outlander series??

message 27: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Phrynne wrote: "I am very sorry too. It is so long since I read the early books I thought more happened in the first one than obviously did. I will go sit in the corner quietly now :)"

Lisa wrote: "No worries!!!! Some ppl don't mind. I've read the books but not sure how Jessie feels about finding out stuff in advance. :)"

The first time I read the book two years ago and quickly bought, some found in the libraries and others bought through Buscalibre. It didn't take years to read them, but months. I read Outlander in three weeks and so on until the seventh. But if there was one that took me the sixth book. It's very long xD

Moving on girls, what they think the actor they chose for Jamie? ;)

message 28: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Lisa wrote: "I think they did pretty good with the casting. I'm glad they didn't pick any recognizable. Only problem is I don't get Starz!"

Because it was the channel that bought the series, which bought the rights to Diana Gabaldon.

The casting is armed and loved the choice of Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser, as well as that of Caitriona Balfe as Claire Randall, Tobias Menzies in addition to the roles of Frank Randall and Jack Randall. There is a mini series, is a series, so far, with a first season of 16 episodes will arrive on August 9 in the Starz channel.

message 29: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Lisa wrote: "Natàilia wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I think they did pretty good with the casting. I'm glad they didn't pick any recognizable. Only problem is I don't get Starz!"

Because it was the channel that bough..."

I haven't problem sending you information about the series. In part I have problems because I don't know what channel contract Outlander in Latin America. I have a poster in my Profile series, in fact, my profile picture is a photo of Claire Randall in the TV series :)

PS: Follow me, please.

message 30: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 90 comments If you have Facebook, follow Diana Gabaldon. She posts quite a bit about the upcoming series, pictures clips and stories.

I read these all ages ago when a co-worker recommended them and lent me her copies. I ended up buying my own and by following this discussion I really want to start reading them all over again! :)

message 31: by Natalia (new)

Natalia (natilia) | 21 comments Tonya wrote: "If you have Facebook, follow Diana Gabaldon. She posts quite a bit about the upcoming series, pictures clips and stories.

I read these all ages ago when a co-worker recommended them and lent me h..."

I follow Diana Gabaldon, but on Twitter, and like to Caitriona Heughan Sam and the rest of the cast! ;)

message 32: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 243 comments Jessie wrote: " Lisa said: I've read the books but not sure how Jessie feels about finding out stuff in advance. :) Totally OK, here, too. I am such a read the back of the book first (or as soon as I start to ..."

Usually in this group people use spoiler tags for spoiler comments because everyone is at different points in the book. I don't think you really gave anything away by (view spoiler) though. :)

message 33: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne No - I think I was the problem because I referred to issues from future books. I took myself off to the naughty corner and I won't do it again:)

message 34: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 243 comments Phrynne wrote: "No - I think I was the problem because I referred to issues from future books. I took myself off to the naughty corner and I won't do it again:)"

Haha Well a spoiler tag would have fixed that problem as well. I hope you've let yourself out of the naughty corner by now. Unless of course you took books with you in which case I suspect that this was all a ploy to get more reading time in. ;)

message 35: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne amber wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "No - I think I was the problem because I referred to issues from future books. I took myself off to the naughty corner and I won't do it again:)"

Haha Well a spoiler tag would have..."

Sprung :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

An amazing book. So well-written, historically descriptive, and SUCH a wonderful love story! Can't wait to see the show.