Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > May 2014: Tell The Wolves I'm Home

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3017 comments Mod
Discussion!

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1185 comments Rachel .. the title of the book is Tell the Wolves I'm Home ... the word "coming" should be deleted from the title of this thread.

Got notified it's at the library, so I'll pick it up tomorrow and be ready to start reading early next week (when I finish my current read).

message 3: by Jami (new)

Jami Ryba | 28 comments I'm really enjoying this book so far. It's a good reminder of how heart wrenching family troubles can be. The AIDS story as well reminds me of hearing stories such as this all the time in the 80's and 90's.

message 4: by Cori (new)

Cori (clp412) I enjoyed this book and the different perspective. Some in my local book club (including me) liked the 80s references, but others felt they were forced. I have mixed feelings about the family dynamics/relationships after finishing the book but it was a great read overall.

message 5: by Jami (new)

Jami Ryba | 28 comments I really enjoyed this book. I felt like the characters were well developed and easy to recognize. I still wonder about some of what was going on with Greta throughout the story but I guess the author wanted her to remain a mystery. Very powerful and emotional storyline.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1185 comments Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
Tell the Wolves I’m Home – Carol Rifka Brunt
5*****

The only person who has ever really understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus is her Uncle Finn, who is also her godfather, confidant and best friend. So when he dies of AIDS and her mother withdraws into silence, June feels completely lost. But there is someone who understands how devastating Finn’s death has been for June. A few days after Finn’s funeral June receives a package; it is Finn’s Russian teapot. Inside the pot is a note from Toby, a man who misses Finn, too.

This is an emotional coming-of-age story, set in 1987 when a diagnosis of AIDS was a certain death sentence. I liked the very personal story of one family’s response to this issue, and particularly how Brunt used an innocent child to concentrate on the love and admiration for the person, rather than the disease that killed him. June is a sensitive and caring, but lacks confidence. Her youth and lack of maturity lead her to make some startling naïve decisions. Ultimately, however, she shows great courage and love.

I was in tears towards the end – something that rarely happens to me. And I really liked the final resolution of the story. I was disturbed by the amount of freedom June and Greta had, and the total lack of supervision their parents exercised over them. I was also conflicted about Toby, his motivations, and behavior.

However, the emotional impact of the story completely carried me away, and it’s on the strength of that reaction that I give it 5 stars.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1185 comments Jami wrote: "I really enjoyed this book. I felt like the characters were well developed and easy to recognize. I still wonder about some of what was going on with Greta throughout the story but I guess the auth..."

Yes, I definitely would have liked more about Greta and even Toby ... but then, the narrator is June, and she really does NOT know what is going on with her sister, so it would have to be a different book to include what's really happening with other characters.

message 8: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 3017 comments Mod
I am starting this tonight! I am really excited!

message 9: by Debs (new)

Debs (cheldesa) | 25 comments I just finished and I am sad to report I did not enjoy this book as much as I had hope. It has all the promise of a great book. Somewhere along the way it fell flat to me and I was unable to get attached to the characters or involved in the story. 3 stars for me. :(

message 10: by Dewlanna (new)

Dewlanna | 111 comments Like Debbie I didn't find that I could easily relate to the characters, June was often too childish for me to feel close to and Toby stays quite mysterious.

However, I totally adored the story, the relation between the character really well written and moving.
So for me the lack of closeness with the character didn't hinder the emotional quality of the book.

I was deeply touched after finishing the book and gave it 5 star which I rarely do for a book I only read once.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 7 comments I agree with Dewlanna. I recognize that June is 14, but the overwhelming self doubt wore on me. I thought that she would begin to find herself, but she was still questioning her self-worth right up until the end. I also thought that Greta's character was oversimplified, but perhaps that was intentional since June is telling the story.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 13 comments This book was not something I would have picked out for myself. I didn't think I would be able to relate due to the topic but by the end I was hooked. The characters in this seemed a little flat and I would have liked to see more of a change in June. However, I feel like the author did a good job of showing the relationships grow and change between everyone. Overall I enjoyed this and would recommend it