Play Book Tag discussion

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)
This topic is about The Fifth Season
June, 2016: Fantasy > The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4849 comments Wow. Jemisin's books are very difficult to review because they're hard to summarize. Her fantasy is so imaginative and unlike anything I've read before. And this is a dystopian future unlike any other, featuring an earth unrecognizable from all the seismic, volcanic and other cataclysms that have occurred in its long future history.

The story is told originally from three different points of view, and goes back and forth among them until they finally converge into a single point in a twist that came out of left field, quite unexpectedly. Some humans have developed senses that feel the rhythms of the earth and have the ability to affect and change them. There are also alien beings called stone-eaters that take on the appearance of humans, although so far their mysterious purpose has not yet been revealed in this first book.

I am eagerly looking forward to book 2, and rather dismayed that I have to wait until its release on Aug 16.

Cora (corareading) | 1283 comments I really liked this one too.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Thanks for the review! The Fifth Season is on my list for this month but not sure that my library hold will be in. I'm looking forward to it.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I agree, it took me a while to write a review because I needed to really process it. I have a feeling that I might just wait until the 3rd book comes out and power through all three --- if I can wait