Classical Obsessions discussion

Favourite book

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you ever read a magical, capturing book, that you think everyone should read? Or a warm and cozy old book, that you can only read at night in the light of a candle or a fire and accompanied with a cup of tea? Please share it with us! :-)

I think Cranford and The Secret Garden are like that. Maybe not your special favourites, but just so cozy or magical that you love love love them!

message 2: by Elline Pelline (new)

Elline Pelline | 46 comments Mod
Everything of Kate Morton! My gosh, that woman is a magician with plots! I have to be boring to mention The Fault in Our Stars too... I'm not a fan of popular literture, but the story is immortal. And wonderful.

message 3: by Έλλη (new)

Έλλη (ellietolia) | 10 comments I agree with Secret Garden!! It's so lovely and magical and such meaningful messages! Pride and Prejudice of course and the Harry Potter series!!!
I love "A Room with A View"! It's so magical and romantic! The way Forster writes is so poetic! I fell in love with Florence and art and every view, every landscape, everything he was describing! The only con is that he was a homosexual and subsequently an atheist so many messages are towards this direction! He belonged in the humanism movement.
And a greek one you wouldn't know! Translation: "The locket of grandma Eugenia". It's so nostalgic! I particularly liked the old curiosity shop and the confectionery where they ate honey pies (a greek sweet) and bergamot tea!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have to check that out Ellie! Sounds so sweet :-)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments I love "The Phantom Tollbooth," by Norton Juster--I read it first when I was about 6 or 7, and it was JUST SO GOOD. It's like a fairy tale/allegory, with magic and monsters and princesses; but at its heart it's really a story about the joys of learning and self-discovery. To this day, I'd still call it one of the best books I've ever read.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

By the way, just to let you know, I didn't mean any book that involves magic when I said magical. I meant just some kind of book that IS magical, fairylike or so.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments Ahh, I think The Hobbit is perfect for curling up with, as well as reading under a tree in the springtime. The Penderwicks is also so comforting and delightful and holds a big piece of my heart. I also agree with The Secret Garden. It's magical and homey and sweet all at the same time.

message 8: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn May | 9 comments Oh, Anne of Green Gables, everytime! When I first read it I was just so enamoured with the fact that a book could be so classical and magical. It has this really comfortable, sparkly, sunshine-scented feel for me :)

Also, definitely The Secret Garden! It's so perfectly wonderful to sink into, in all it's flowery, warm, sweetness. <3

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Gwyn wrote: "Oh, Anne of Green Gables, everytime! When I first read it I was just so enamoured with the fact that a book could be so classical and magical. It has this really comfortable, sparkly, sunshine-scen..."

Yesss, Anne of Green Gables!! Definitely one of the most wonderful books on earth!

message 10: by Elline Pelline (new)

I haven't read Anne of Green Gables, but I watched the TV-series when I was six...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "I haven't read Anne of Green Gables, but I watched the TV-series when I was six..."

The series are so sweet too!! <3

message 12: by Elline Pelline (new)

But I can't remember anything except her red hair :P But I'll borrow the book tomorrow!!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Her red hair is a legend XD Glad it's not green anymore though

Madison Stéphanie | 8 comments Hey everyone! I just finished reading Alice through the Looking Glass & I am having a bit of trouble finding a new book, I have skimmed through the pages of some new ones I have found, although they haven't caught my eye. Any ideas? I love fantasy, But I don't read weird stuff though like wizards and witches etc.
So like fairytales, adventures, fantasy, and suspense.
Maybe some fast moving plots?

message 15: by Elline Pelline (new)

Madison wrote: "Hey everyone! I just finished reading Alice through the Looking Glass & I am having a bit of trouble finding a new book, I have skimmed through the pages of some new ones I have found, although the..."

Hm, let me think... If you like novels switching between past and present, read everything of Kate Morton! She's a queen :D I assume you know Harry Potter? :P Never a mistake :D

Madison Stéphanie | 8 comments Thanks! I'll look at some Kate Norton books :)))

Madison Stéphanie | 8 comments *morton

message 18: by Elline Pelline (new)

Madison wrote: "Thanks! I'll look at some Kate Norton books :))) "

I recommend Distand Hours and The Secret Keeper, but the other ones are also great :)

Madison Stéphanie | 8 comments Wow those sound great! Thanks!

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Madison wrote: "Hey everyone! I just finished reading Alice through the Looking Glass & I am having a bit of trouble finding a new book, I have skimmed through the pages of some new ones I have found, although the..."

Are you a Narnia fan at all? If you've never read that series, I'd definitely recommend them :-)

Madison Stéphanie | 8 comments I loved the movie! The book is always better though ;-) I'll check them out! Thanks for all the recommendations! :-)

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Madison wrote: "I loved the movie! The book is always better though ;-) I'll check them out! Thanks for all the recommendations! :-)"

THE BOOKS ARE SO SO SO MUCH BETTER. I'm not kidding. They are some of the most brilliant I've ever read.

Madison Stéphanie | 8 comments Oh Yeah! I will TOTALLY check them out!

message 24: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn May | 9 comments Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "But I can't remember anything except her red hair :P But I'll borrow the book tomorrow!!!"

Oh yay! I hope you love it :D

message 25: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn May | 9 comments {also, the series is definitely worth a re-watch: it's one of my favourites, especially the first one :)}

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilymorland) | 5 comments Has anybody read The Enchanted April?! I reread that one every April. The year is incomplete for me without it.

message 27: by Elline Pelline (new)

Emily wrote: "Has anybody read The Enchanted April?! I reread that one every April. The year is incomplete for me without it."

Oh, what a nice tradition! I have never heard about it :)

message 28: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Madison wrote: "Hey everyone! I just finished reading Alice through the Looking Glass & I am having a bit of trouble finding a new book, I have skimmed through the pages of some new ones I have found, although the..."

If you like fantasy then you might enjoy The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. It isn't one of those "weird ones" with witches and wizards (I am not to fond of such stuff myself).

However, there is some swearing, and I know some people who would find that a deal breaker, so if you are one of those people, perhaps you would prefer Entwined by Heather Dixon.

Entwined is based off of 'The Twelve Dancing Princesses' and set in a Victorian-esque time period. It has a glorious old-timey and warm, fizzy sort of feeling to it. It's one of my comfort reads. It's fast paced, but not so fast that you can't savor it. It's long, but the first time I got it I read it in four hours straight. I've heard a lot of peope compare it to Alice in Wonderland, so that might be a bonus if you're looking for something like that.

Hope I helped. :)

message 29: by Elli the Elf (last edited Jun 06, 2016 01:43AM) (new)

Elli the Elf (ellitheelf) | 9 comments There are so many good books out there! What do you say to everyone adding all the books they've mentioned to the group bookshelf? It will be easier to find the recommendations later...

I really love "The boy in the striped pajamas" and "The book thief", though they are both really sad. "To kill a mocking bird" and "Ella enchanted" are also books that enchanted me.

message 30: by Έλλη (last edited Jun 06, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Έλλη (ellietolia) | 10 comments Emily wrote: "Has anybody read The Enchanted April?! I reread that one every April. The year is incomplete for me without it."

I haven't! I didn't know there was a book! But I've seen the film! It's soooo magical!!! <3 Btw, I see the movie every April since last year when I saw it first! ;) Thanks for the recommendation!

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Ellisiv wrote: "There are so many good books out there! What do you say to everyone adding all the books they've mentioned to the group bookshelf? It will be easier to find the recommendations later...

I really l..."

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilymorland) | 5 comments Έλλη wrote: "Emily wrote: "Has anybody read The Enchanted April?! I reread that one every April. The year is incomplete for me without it."

I haven't! I didn't know there was a book! But I've seen the film! It..."

Oh the movie is SO good too!! :) It's so nice that you have the same tradition!!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Ellisiv wrote: "There are so many good books out there! What do you say to everyone adding all the books they've mentioned to the group bookshelf? It will be easier to find the recommendations late..."

Oh, I haven't read it. And I'm SO angry to myself now that I haven't.
But I certainly will read it one day!

message 34: by Elli the Elf (new)

Elli the Elf (ellitheelf) | 9 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Ellisiv wrote: "There are so many good books out there! What do you say to everyone adding all the books they've mentioned to the group bookshelf? It will be easier to find the reco..."

It is defiantly worth it!

message 35: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 10 comments I definitly agree Anne of Green Gables is one of the best books for a cosy read-also Little Women! I always felt like my sisters and I were a lot like them.:)
Love the Secret Garden and A Little Princess.<3 Another book that has Frances Burnett's cozy style is Mother Carey's Chickens by Kate Douglass Wiggins!
Really, it's hard to pick just one or two!!

message 36: by Elline Pelline (new)

I currently read Anne of green Gables! What a sweet story, it's so enjoyable! Thanks for recommending :)

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilymorland) | 5 comments If you guys like L.M. Montgomery, you might love her book The Blue Castle; it's not as well known, but it's my absolute favourite of hers and I LOVE all her books.

message 38: by Elline Pelline (new)

Emily wrote: "If you guys like L.M. Montgomery, you might love her book The Blue Castle; it's not as well known, but it's my absolute favourite of hers and I LOVE all her books."

I'll check it out!!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "I currently read Anne of green Gables! What a sweet story, it's so enjoyable! Thanks for recommending :)"

You are?!? Congrats ;-D It really is a sweet story, and enjoyable! :-)

message 40: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (depechemold) | 2 comments I have two suggestions: Les Miserables is an amazing book if you're okay with something long, and The Book Thief is one of my new favorites. Anne of Green Gables and Harry Potter, like others have suggested, are also definite must-reads!

message 41: by Elline Pelline (new)

I'm scared of reading Lés Misérables without the music...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "I'm scared of reading Lés Misérables without the music... "

I'm scared of reading Les Mis in general ;)