Booktastic Bookaholics discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Book of the Month Archives > June 2016-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megan (ReadingRover) | 1232 comments Mod
The book that was chosen for Young Adult Thriller/Suspense/Mystery Book of the Month for the month of June is Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs. I've already read this one and the next book in the series. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 236 comments I've already read this one too but I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to finish up the series soon.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished the series & thought it was really good. It was definitely unique & different. It will be interesting too see what Tim Burton has done with the movie based on this first book.

I didn't know Tim Burton was doing a movie. I'm super psyched for that!!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Megan wrote: "I didn't know Tim Burton was doing a movie. I'm super psyched for that!!!"

Yes! I've seen some previews. It looks good :)

message 6: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
I need to read the book. I had not planned on reading it until November but it looks like that is changing.

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
I liked this book, but for me the series went downhill after this one!

message 8: by Taanya (new) - added it

Taanya (taanya_bhatt) | 1 comments What are your thoughts on this book... Yay or nay?

message 9: by Andrea (new) - added it

I never actually read this book during our planned month for it. I ended up getting pretty busy because of our trip out of town.

I think it's interesting and different, but slow and confusing at times.

message 11: by Andrea (new) - added it

I have read a set of books by Madeline Roux and they have been compared to Miss Peregrine's. However, some people who have read both do not see them being similar. The ones who liked Peregrine's did not like Asylum. The ones who liked Asylum did not like Peregrine's. However, there are few who like both. I really enjoyed Asylum. I was so into the book that I did not hear when my husband got home. He came into our bedroom where I was reading and said "Hi dear." I threw the book up in the air and screamed. It was a good book. A good thriller. I enjoyed that. I have probably psyched myself out for Peregrine's and won't like it.

I love Asylum, I wanted to love Peregrine's and I did read the whole series, but I wasn't blown away by them. By the 3rd book the pictures were kind of annoying and not creepy.

message 13: by Andrea (new) - added it

Oh, have you read Catacombs yet? I still need to read it. I plan to read it soon actually. I plan to read the trilogy next month I am hoping that I don't dislike it to much.

message 14: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 682 comments Andrea wrote: "I have read a set of books by Madeline Roux and they have been compared to Miss Peregrine's. However, some people who have read both do not see them being similar. The ones who li..."

Hmm I haven't read either, but want to...

Andrea wrote: "Oh, have you read Catacombs yet? I still need to read it. I plan to read it soon actually. I plan to read the trilogy next month I am hoping that I don't dislike it to much."

I have read them all i think, except one of the novellas.

message 16: by Andrea (new) - added it

I have read Catacombs now and OMG it was like totally wow

Andrea wrote: "I have read Catacombs now and OMG it was like totally wow"

Yes I really enjoy that series, I hear she doing another series.

message 18: by Andrea (new) - added it

Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I have read Catacombs now and OMG it was like totally wow"

Yes I really enjoy that series, I hear she doing another series."

I cannot wait to get my hands on it if she does.

Andrea wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I have read Catacombs now and OMG it was like totally wow"

I cannot wait to get my hands on it if ..."

Me too!

message 20: by Andrea (new) - added it

Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I have read Catacombs now and OMG it was like totally wow"

I cannot wait to get my ..."

I just read the novellas for Asylum. Mind blown.

message 21: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 682 comments I didn't read the book... but I watched the movie on Sat and loved it so I know the book had to have been awesome...I'm weird though and I have to read a book before I can watch the movie...so if i watch the movie first I don't like to read the book...so I'll have to wait a while before I read this series :(

I'm the same way about movies. If I end up seeing the movie first I usually don't read the book. I think it's more because there's not as much room for the unknown. No surprises. Idk. It's weird because I don't mind reading book spoilers. I'll read spoilers and still read the book but if I see the movie I hesitate. I think it's because I can't create the characters on my own and stuff like that. It's all already laid out. Idk why. Hmmm.

message 23: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 682 comments Megan wrote: "I'm the same way about movies. If I end up seeing the movie first I usually don't read the book. I think it's more because there's not as much room for the unknown. No surprises. Idk. It's weird be..."

I don't mind spoilers either lol