What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-Fi YA with Bird Planet

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam | 3 comments This was an assignment for our 7th grade sci-fi unit in 1992 or so. The other choice was one of the tripod books.

I assume it was YA but it could have been more advanced. Unfortunately I don't remember a lot about it.

I believe there was a human that was living on an alien planet that was avian in some way. He was examining their culture or at least commenting about it throughout the text.

I remember loving it and binge reading about half the book over the weekend until I was forced to return the book. I was the only one to choose it and my teacher decided to make me change to the Martian Chronicles or something.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Boo on your teacher!

Do you recall how old the main character was? Male or female? Was he or she a scientist or just an average person? Do you recall how he got to this planet? Anything about the cover? At the time you read it, do you have any sense of whether it was new at the time, or older?

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 3 comments Unfortunately, I don't remember much else, but I'll try.

I think the character living on the planet was male, in his 20s or 30s, and either a scientist or maybe even military. I believe it was some kind of exchange program. I seem to recall he was living in the side of a cliff face.

I don't remember the cover.

I had the impression the book wasn't that old. I'd guess published between 1985 to 1992.

Sketchy, I know. Wish I had more to give.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 15 comments Throwing out
A.C. Crispin

Starbridge series. Only Alien Bird planet I can think of.

message 5: by SparksofEmber (last edited Jun 03, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments The People of the Wind?

Were they definitely bird-like people or could they have been a dragon-like species?

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 03, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
While not your book, (I know this, since it's set on a giant Space Station/medical center) the Sector General 12 books have avian species. I haven't read everything by James White, the author of this series, but I do know that he re-used some of the more exotic species in other books that were stand-alones/not part of the Sector General series.

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments People of the Sky by Clare Bell People of the Sky by Clare Bell has flying creatures. The main character is a woman, however.

It's a bit of a stretch. But, there may be something in the book's description that triggers a memory about your book.

While not YA and a bigger stretch, A Time of Changes by Robert Silverberg does have bird-like creatures in the story. The main character is, if I remember correctly, (view spoiler) commentating on the society he lives in.

message 8: by Andy (last edited Jun 03, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Sam wrote: "This was an assignment for our 7th grade sci-fi unit in 1992 or so. The other choice was one of the tripod books.

I assume it was YA but it could have been more advanced. Unfortunately I don't rem..."

This sounds a lot like a short story by Ted Reynolds called "Trial Sample" originally published in an issue of Isaac Asimov's SF magazine, but republished several times (see here) http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg... - in this story, a man is selected at random to live for one year on an alien (avian) planet, living (as much as possible) as if he was an alien - which is a problem, since he can't fly. I wonder if you read one of the collections that included this story, such as Isaac Asimov's Wonders of the World.

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam | 3 comments Thank you everyone for the input. I think I will check out a couple of the books and see if anything is familiar. This was honestly much more than I was expecting so I appreciate it.

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Great. Here's a link to Asimov's Wonders of the World, by the way Isaac Asimov's Wonders of the World

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Did you ever find your book, Sam?

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Bump

message 13: by Andy (new)

message 14: by Andy (new)

message 15: by Andy (new)

message 16: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments bump

message 17: by Andy (new)

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Watson | 135 comments Could it have been Poul Anderson's The People of the Wind, about a race of bird-like aliens called the Ythrians? I think he had one or two other books about them besides the people of the wind.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments The People of the Wind for the click.