Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Royal Assassin
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Royal Assassin - Chapters 26-30

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Samantha (httpswwwgoodreadscomnovelsandnon) | 189 comments Mod

message 2: by William (new) - added it

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 19 comments I feel bad for fitz because of how Molly kinda discards him when he finally tells her that he is an assassin for the king but he still loves her but she won't give that love back

message 3: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments So much plot progression in this section it is hard to know what to pinpoint.

Although it was sad for Fitz, I kind of loved the scene where Molly told him she was leaving because she articulated everything I had disliked about Fitz's behaviour so well, and called out one of the most irritating love-interest tropes there is:

Why do you think that what I feel about you is the centremost pillar of my life?...why do you think I have no other concerns but you?...You wish to keep me in a box, separate from your life. I cannot be someone you come to when you have nothing more important to.

Yes, Molly/Robin Hobb, say it like it is! I am wondering if the 'one who is for me what your king is for you' implies that actually she is pregnant after all - if so, then she is definitely making the right decision to remove herself from the intrigues of court right now. I'm also really glad that she made the decision to leave before Fitz told her he was an assassin - it was his dishonesty to her about his obligations that drove a wedge in their relationship, not the nature of the obligation itself.

I have really liked Hobb's reflection on aging through the characters of Shrewd and Chade - especially liked the line "It is like being two foreigners, trapped in a land we have come to, unable to return to our own, and having only each other to confirm the reality of the place where we once lived". It reminded me a lot of talking to my grandparents (who have all passed away now) of their experience of gradually losing their generation and its shared memory/history.

I had a sneaking suspicion about Rosemary for a while - Hobb seemed to mention her in passing just a little too often to be purely coincidental, and that last time when she was 'asleep' in the corner while they were discussing the escape plan I was practically shouting at my e-reader for them to wise up and make sure they weren't overheard!

I'm wondering if Burrich stayed behind because he knew that Fitz would be in trouble and wanted to be on hand to do anything he can to help - it wouldn't surprise me if ultimately his loyalty to the son of his king in waiting I stronger than that to Kettricken and her child. I hope he doesn't get dragged in to the trial about the wit, because he might well come under suspicion himself....

Terribly worried about Kettricken - if Regal had access to their plans and intercepted her it seems like it would be a perfect opportunity to remove the problem once and for all.

What did people think of the summary execution of Serene and Justin? It exemplified pretty neatly the uncomfortable truth of Fitz' 'profession' - assassination is swift and without the benefit of justice/due process. You might be able to argue that in this case it was also self-defence (Fitz was at risk from their skilling as long as they were alive) but he seemed to relish the task a little bit too much (even considering the effects of the carris seed). It seems our Fitz has a potential for vengeance that echoes Regal's own - and if we can accept Fitz' actions as proportionate, where does that leave Regal's if he truly believes that his father poisoned his mother? (Mostly just playing devil's advocate here, but I think it is an interesting parallel.)

So the big question is what is going to happen at the trial before council? I'm not really worried for Fitz as he obviously goes on to star in other book. Much more anxious for Nighteyes (will Fitz be able to make him understand the very human danger he is in and stay away when his pack is under threat?) and Burrich if he is somehow implicated in use of the wit.

Alicia | 26 comments I too think Molly went away because she was pregnant.

I wish Fitz would have acted more assassin like, and killed Serene and Justin quietly, I know he was in a rush because they were trying to Skill their way into his head but I'm sure he could have accomplished it.

I think it's ironic that Fitz is upset that the coastal dukes are underestimating Regal because that's exactly what the whole Royal family did, underestimate him. He's one step ahead every time.

But before everything went down, I did enjoy getting more of a glance at the Fool and Fitz friendship, Fitz being able to tell Burrich about Chade, and Fitz being able to hint to Chade about his Wit.

message 5: by John (last edited Jun 13, 2016 01:04AM) (new)

John | 219 comments Emily wrote: "So much plot progression in this section it is hard to know what to pinpoint.

Although it was sad for Fitz, I kind of loved the scene where Molly told him she was leaving because she articulated e..."

Yes, If Fitz had told Molly about what was going on behind the scenes earlier in the book, I do think she would have stayed with him despite Fitz's obligation to the king, at least until the Regal business was settled, or she became pregnant(and I feel sure she is pregnant now; Cook couldn't have hinted more strongly, and Fitz couldn't have been more obtuse! ).

But of course what would have happened is Serene and Justin would have Skilled what Molly knows about Fitz's plans, and this would have compromised their safety, and probably gotten them both killed. Burrich was right all along: A kings man cannot have a personal life that would be fair to his wife or offspring.

Poor Chade(who probably had the most sound judgment of anyone in the first book) shows what has been long suspected: he can no longer be objective in matters regarding the king; he is just too emotionally invested in honoring the king's wishes, self-destructive though they may be.

Given what happened to Verity's traveling party, Kettricken and the Fool should have no chance of escaping Regal's dragnet, but I think Hobb will put the fix in for them.

Fitz the narrator has never given much credit to the notion that Queen Desire was poisoned, and anyway Regal in his warped way uses this supposed crime as primarily a rationalization for conducting his own misdeeds. He is far less concerned if it is actually true; Fitz was witness to Shrewd being skilled to death, so he is certain.

And as far as Serene and Justin are concerned, they are an acute threat to not only Fitz's safety, but also for their ability to possibly track down Kettricken and the Fool (Fitz might have saved the day by blinding Regal's spying network, and allowing them to escape).

If Burrich is prosecuted for using the Wit (and how richly ironic that would be!) , doubtlessly he will be able to provide countless witnesses to attest to his revulsion of the practice.

Abner | 90 comments Per Chade's investigation, Verity's skill attracted the forged ones,i guess he realized this after Verity left and the patterns change, Verity lives!!!

So they are plotting to get Kettricken and Shrewd to the mountain kingdom, Fitz its being watched by the coterie now we know they are loyal to Regal only.

I have a problem with all of this, it all seems obvious, I mean what Regal wants to do, I really hope there's a twist
and Regal gets to do a speech like he did in Jhampee revealing all his plans, but they turn out to be different than what we though.

Fitz it's learning to control his Skill better now. I really think that Chade made the milk go bad and bread to not raise, so people star to get spooked by the Pocked man, since Lady Thyme is dead this is the only disguise he has when he needs to be out, he's already been sighted by some people.

Molly is pregnant? Fitz didn't see her belly when he was in his dreams, but she said she had someone important that deserved her complete loyalty, I really doubt it's a lover, maybe a son?

We learn that Justin and Serene where draining the Kings skill leaving him weary all the time. Sneaky f**ing bastards I really didn't see that one coming.

Somehow Fitz can mix the skill and Wit to repel them using Nighteyes strength, this is a pretty interesting concept, I'm really intrigued by how can Hobb develop this.

WTFf!! Fitz the stone cold killer!! haha, he seriously sounded deranged in the pursuit and killing serene.

I really don't get what the candles burning blue means but seems important.

I know Rosemary is a little girl but f**k her lying ass spying little bitch, Regal reminds me of Varys (ASOIAF) and his little birds, using children to spy because they don't have a good sense of the stakes and who's good and evil. Regal is getting madder now that no one is calling him king, his getting a little desperate and taking bolder measures that might cause him to fail.

message 7: by John (last edited Jun 15, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Alicia wrote:

I wish Fitz would have acted more assassin like, and killed Serene and Justin quietly, I know he was in a rush because they were trying to Sk..."

I just thought of why Fitz acted like a maniac going after Serene and Justin. Chade gave him a large dose of carris seed(pg.591) instead of elfbark(which he had no time to prepare) to help rejuvenate him after the traumatic skilling event where Serene and Justin killed Shrewd and left Fitz greatly weakened. For someone not used to the drug, it can lead to PCP like symptoms like mania and extreme agitation!

message 8: by Abner (last edited Jun 20, 2016 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abner | 90 comments John wrote: "For someone not used to the drug, it can lead to PCP like symptoms like mania and extreme agitation!"

That's what I though, reminded me of the Chappelle skit.

"Got anymore of that Carris seed cakes?!?!?!?"

Frankie (frankiereads) Ok - just into chapter 26 so not reading too far into the comments in this section yet because I don't want to spoil myself...but OMG YES Nighteyes! Nice save.

Alicia | 26 comments John wrote: "I just thought of why Fitz acted like a maniac going after Serene and Justin."

Thanks! I forgot that! lol

message 11: by Frankie (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frankie (frankiereads) Yes Fitz - get 'em! I am so glad to see Fitz kicking some ass! I think the difference between Fitz's actions and Regal's are that:

1) Regal willingly turned a blind eye to his mother's addictions and how that played a part in her death. So his feeling of being wronged is based on his desire to twist events to match a story that would justify his actions.

2) Regal seeks power and he has shown himself willing to kill any and every person who stands in the way of him gaining that power - even those who have had absolutely nothing to do with this mother's death.

I'm on Chapter 29, so I know Fitz is going to pay for this revenge (Hobb has a fixation with putting Fitz through the paces)...but dammit, I'm glad he did SOMETHING. It was driving me crazy that all these people knew Regal was wrong and Selene & co. were warped, but all this political tip-toeing made it impossible to actually DO something about it.

These books have made it abundantly clear to me that I would never survive in this kind of court life. There's too much back-stabbing, double dealing, and plotting. I'm too straight forward a person and I don't have the mental energy to play all these mind games. But reading about it is another matter all together...LOL. So good.

message 12: by John (new)

John | 219 comments FrankieReads wrote: "Yes Fitz - get 'em! I am so glad to see Fitz kicking some ass! I think the difference between Fitz's actions and Regal's are that:

1) Regal willingly turned a blind eye to his mother's addictions ..."

On point #1, I think Regal may blame the addiction on the Farseers and what he may see as the oppression of the interior duchies that Queen Desire bitterly seethed about her whole life.

On point #2, Uh, Yep! That's all true, you're absolutely right!

You'll notice it took Shrewd's death to finally release Fitz of his promise not to harm Regal(or by extension his minions). Everybody else not named Regal who outranks him( Verity, Kettricken) who could tell him not to kill Serene and Justin without benefit of trial are absent, so he is acting head of the Verity royal authority at Buckkeep, pending return of the new king. That's why he took action.

message 13: by Noah (new)

Noah | 13 comments Verity! He's dead! Wait, no, he's ok... Shrewd! He's actually dead! Serene, Justin! Yes, dead! Phew, Kettricken, Burrich, and the Fool escaped. Wait, what? Burrich is here still? What about Chade, or the Fool? Nobody knows where they are now? And Regal, is he king yet?! No, not yet, phew. What about the Red-Ships? Not attacking yet, good. Fitz! No! Regal knows he has the Wit! But, wait, what was that Regal just said? Could it be? Is…Rosemary…a SPY?!!!

(This is basically what happened in these last few chapters XD)

Jacqui (jacquireadsbooks) | 2 comments Abner wrote: I know Rosemary is a little girl but f**k her lying ass spying little bitch"

I was cackling at this comment! Hahaha. I was so upset that Rosemary is the spy!!

Abner | 90 comments Jacqui wrote: "Abner wrote: I know Rosemary is a little girl but f**k her lying ass spying little bitch"

I was cackling at this comment! Hahaha. I was so upset that Rosemary is the spy!!"

Daaaang I forgot I wrote that LOL, thanks for the laugh of the day!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.