Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Royal Assassin - Chapters 16-20

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 19 comments loved that kettricken was willing to go into battle with her people instead of staying in buckkeep

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments The scene in the dark with the white ship was deliciously creepy. Any theories on what it meant? Was the Outislander right and Fitz was witnessing his own demise? Was Fitz actually able to physically repel him, or was it just coincidence that he fell at that moment? And how many chapters/books do you think we will have to wait for it to become clearer??

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 26 comments I need to keep tabs on these chapters, because so many things of note happen that by the end of 5 chapters I can't pin point what to comment on! lol

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments So finally Molly and Fitz have an honest conversation with each other, and no surprises it is Molly who lays it down plainly - Fitz has a choice to make between individual happiness, and duty to the greater good. I think its already pretty clear to her (and the reader) which one he is going to choose, so this whole conversation was tinged with a very powerful sadness.

I can't believe that it had never occurred to Fitz that Molly was at risk of getting pregnant, or how dangerous the consequences would be - hard to believe that someone who grew up half in the stables could be so oblivious/ignorant of the birds and the bees!

Interesting to hear a bit more backstory to Burrich's character, although I had somehow got it in my head that he might have been in love with Chivalry (how much more boringly heteronormative is the actual answer). As it is, he does serve as a useful future mirror to Fitz about the consequences of his own decisions.

Regal continues to be utterly revolting. I don't really see what his endgame is as surely a bankrupt and divided kingdom isn't much of an inheritance! However, I'm sure he has some scheme up his sleeve...I would love Kettricken to step up and throw down the gauntlet to him about his behaviour in her role as Queen-in-waiting - maybe if she really is expecting then she will feel more bolstered in her position and confident to do so?

Any ideas on why Chade is implicating himself in the drugging of King Shrewd? I'm as mystified as Fitz on this one!

It surprised me that after lecturing Fitz on neglecting to keep his thoughts to himself during his 'assignation' with Molly, Verity seems to have been just as careless when the spark finally happens between himself and Kettricken. Perhaps the long period in which he and Fitz have been bonded in the skill is making it harder for them both to separate their experiences (just as the bond with Nighteyes is no longer something Fitz can seem to control reliably). I wish Verity would use that bond to communicate some of what is happening to him to Fitz - I'm very curious as to what is going on in their search for the Elderlings!

message 5: by John (last edited Jun 11, 2016 08:46AM) (new)

John | 219 comments Emily wrote: "So finally Molly and Fitz have an honest conversation with each other, and no surprises it is Molly who lays it down plainly - Fitz has a choice to make between individual happiness, and duty to th..."

This is just wonderful, insightful stuff, Emily!

I think the best way to think about Fitz and Molly and their relationship is to consider the modern context where unplanned pregnancies are very common in spite of the widespread availability of birth control knowledge and methods. People understand in their rational minds what consequences may occur if they don't use protection, but their brains become awash in hormones and the left pre-frontal cortex is prevented from acting to regulate their behavior. Evolution hijacks the process because it wants(so to speak) more pregnancies to occur.

Fitz and Molly don't have modern birth control, and are both too naturally impulsive to make abstinence an effective option, so pregnancy may be inevitable.

Chade knows that the drugs he is prescribing the king are deleterious in the long run, but he does so for the time being because they are necessary to manage the king's pain, and also the king has directed him to do so.

It is very important to understand that the kings primary illness is unknown, and not being caused by the smoke or the other drugs, which are palliative in nature( though as stated before, certain to cause bad side effects and eventually death if used too long).

Chade tells Fitz this precisely so he will know to look elsewhere for whatever means Regal is employing to slowly kill Shrewd.

message 6: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 22 comments So angry with Regal. He's just so horrible.
I also feel like this part of the book is a little slower going than the beginning. I hope it will soon pick up again.

Also. I wonder who's really pregnant. Is it Kettricken then?

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments John wrote: "This is just wonderful, insightful stuff, Emily!"

Thanks John that is so kind of you to say! I think I'm enjoying it much more for having a reason to reflect and people to chat about it with than I would have just gobbling it up on my own :)

"Fitz and Molly don't have modern birth control, and are both too naturally impulsive to make abstinence an effective option, so pregnancy may be inevitable."

I get what you're saying here but I'm not sure I would agree with this as an assessment of Molly's character. I think Molly feels deeply and made a conscious choice to put her trust and gamble her future on Fitz, but what kind of winds me up is she didn't have all the facts to make that decision in an informed way. For the sake of keeping this in the correct sections I'm going to make this a spoiler but (view spoiler). Fitz has chosen to keep her in the dark about so many things which I think if she knew might make her make a different decision about taking that risk (she seems infinitely more practical than Fitz to me).

"Chade knows that the drugs he is prescribing the king are deleterious in the long run, but he does so for the time being because they are necessary to manage the king's pain"

This makes a lot of sense, but more so if you have read the next bit, so lets keep this spoiler free :p

message 8: by Abner (last edited Jun 12, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Abner | 90 comments So Fitz asks king Shrewd to marry Molly but he wants to marry Fitz to royalty so he can have lands a a good position, this makes a ton of sense from Shrewds point of view but I think that Fitz has too much of his father in him so he won't go along with it.

Fitz is learning to work Veritys ships and learning the axe and Skill at the same time with Verity and Burrick . While he was on a battle on the ship he saw a White ship with a captain, What I believe is that they have some kind of magic to conceal this ship and this ship does the forging, I think that he had a Skill battle with the captain and didn't realize it, or he was blocking the ship from the captain's Skill. Outlanders know this White ship, they think this is a fairy tale that white ship means certain death.

Verity decides to go on a quest to find the Elderlings, I find it funny thath Regal "Jackass" Farseer runs into the room to object to anything Verity is asking of Shrewd until he learns is a quest and Verity needs to leave Buckeep, only then he like o yea my brother should go we need all the help we can get, hahaha mofo!! The fact that verity is leaving makes me nervous, basically any plans that Regal has are going to be accelerated now that he can act more freely.

So Patience was in love with Burrich first but he rejected her because he wanted to serve Chivalry, that's why they don't get along. After that she met Chivalry, I definitely didn't see that coming even though they where hints along the way, like Burrich saying he trained Patience's horse, I though he did after she and Chivalry married.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

I haven't posted on this book in a while because adulting. So excuse me if this is too long!! First of all I am LOVING this book. I've gotten into the rhythm of Hobb's writing style and I am so hooked.

I am so glad to see so much character growth in Fitz. I feel like all the moments of frustration in The Assassin's Apprentice make me feel so invested in Fitz finally taking a stand for some things. I am thoroughly enjoying Fitz and The Fool's relationship.

I absolutely love Kettricken. She is such a badass - but filled with so much compassion and care for her people. I love to see her in action - but my heart aches for her loneliness. It's easy to forget how young she is.

Regal is a pestilence and I want something terrible to happen to him, like pronto. He is clearly plotting on King Shrewd and he's meddling in between Fitz & Molly's relationship stirring up trouble. I wonder if he was behind this new chick coming on the scene and King Shrewd's forced courtship.

I am so jazzed that Fitz and Verity seem to be growing a Skilling bond and overcoming Fitz's trauma from that ass-lint Galen. I am also so glad that he stopped trying to fight The Wit with Cub. I think his strength and power as a person will grow in direct proportion to his willingness to be who he IS with the Skill and the Wit.

So yeah - loving this book. I'm skeptical about how Fitz and Molly's relationship will manifest. But I have faith that Hobb will do something heartbreaking (which may or may not result in the throwing of a bookish pillow to vent frustrations).

message 10: by John (new)

John | 219 comments FrankieReads wrote: "I haven't posted on this book in a while because adulting. So excuse me if this is too long!! First of all I am LOVING this book. I've gotten into the rhythm of Hobb's writing style and I am so hoo..." I think you are talking about Celerity, the daughter of Duke Brawndy, as being proposed as a match for Fitz. But Regal can't be blamed for this one. They are from a coastal duchy, and all of Regal's political connections are with the interior duchies.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Oh ok - I missed that connection. But that makes a lot of sense. Although I feel for Fitz and his feelings for Molly, I understand King Shrewd's desire to make a good match for Fitz. I think this is his way of really taking care of Fitz and seeing after his well-being even after he is long gone.

I think I just hate Regal so much that I want him to be blamed for EVERYTHING.

Red ship raids - blame Regal.
Crops not growing - blame Regal.
Starbucks spell my name wrong on my cup - blame Regal.

LOL!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Abner wrote: "So Fitz asks king Shrewd to marry Molly but he wants to marry Fitz to royalty so he can have lands a a good position, this makes a ton of sense from Shrewds point of view but I think that Fitz has ..."

I agree with you! I think Fitz unwittingly had a Skill battle with that guy from the White ship. I really like the fact that in everyone else's mind, the White ships are mythical. I feel like that is a testament to Fitz's power - even if he isn't yet aware of it himself.

I think this forging HAS to be some kind of warping of the skill that causes people to turn into zombies. I'm interested to find out more about the White ships as we go on.

Also, are you not super stoked that Verity is going to the Rain Wilds to find the Elderlings? I'm so ready for him to get a break from Skilling. I'm hoping that by him taking a break it will restore some of his vitality. I would hate to see him come to a premature end.

message 13: by John (new)

John | 219 comments FrankieReads wrote: "Oh ok - I missed that connection. But that makes a lot of sense. Although I feel for Fitz and his feelings for Molly, I understand King Shrewd's desire to make a good match for Fitz. I think this i..."

Google "Regal coffee maker" and check out some of your local places to eat that serve coffee; they are all over the place!

The conspiracy is real! LOL

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 52 comments So much action!!! I am really falling in love with Fitz as a character.
Honestly Verity's decision kind of frustrates me because of all the stuff Regal can do now. At the same time I understand it.
Maybe Molly/Fitz is finaly over? I'm not gettinh my hopes up though.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "So much action!!! I am really falling in love with Fitz as a character.
Honestly Verity's decision kind of frustrates me because of all the stuff Regal can do now. At the same time I understand it...."

Yeah, unfortunately Molly is reaaaaallly starting to work my nerves. She's being very short-sighted and very emotional in a way that is grating. I really dislike when female characters get entangled with complicated male partners and just can't seem to wrap their brain around that person's difficult position. It's very off-putting when a woman is cast in such an selfish and obtuse light.

I'm thinking Molly needs to mature a lot more if she is to be coupled with Fitz permanently. I also think this is partly why royalty and "commoners" were not paired together. It's a different world, a totally different set of responsibilites, and that gap may be a bit too hard to bridge.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (diary-of-a-part-time-writer) | 6 comments Fitz, you idiot.

I'm finding it hard to empathize with Fitz for a lot of this book. He seems very stuck in the self-pitying teenager phase, even if technically, by the standards of the world he lives in, he's a young man, not a teen. It's kind of the same deal with why I dislike Ron in Harry Potter from about book 4 to 6--that mentality of "my problems are biggest," regardless of what else might be going on in the world. Ron at least has Hermione and Harry to smack him upside the head and remind him of the bigger picture. I feel like Fitz needs some friends his own age to ground him, but also can't have that because he's sworn to the king, and can't talk to other people freely because of that. I did think it was totally great when Molly told Fitz he was acting like a child, though. I've been wanting someone to tell him that since the start of the book. I know your life is weird, Fitz, but stop acting like a teenager already! You have a kingdom to save!

Ideally, since he and Kettricken are the same age(ish), I'd love to see them form an actual friendship, but with Verity riding shotgun in Fitz's brain, encounters with Kettricken become awkward, since Verity is highly sexually motivated when it comes to his Queen. I think I've heard/seen hints in other discussion and in the book itself that there might be something there between Kettricken and Fitz, but I feel like that's residual tension from Verity at this point? I mean, I know they totally bonded while still in the Mountains, but Fitz just doesn't spend enough time with her right now for me to see their relationship as more than platonic with fifty shades of Verity thrown in there.

And okay we need to talk about that scene in Ch. 20 with the Fool. Because ow my heart! I haven't been all that empathetic or curious about the Fool up until this point. There was a little intrigue in Assassin's Apprentice when Fitz gets all curious and breaks into the Fool's room, but for the most part I haven't really cared too much about the Fool and his motivations, or history. Now, though? Like, TELL ME ALL THE THINGS. I need to know who hurt him and why and what his relationship to Shrewd is and where he came from and whether he knows that Chade is the one poisoning the King and doing it as pain management, or if he believes like Fitz did that it's Regal and why is the Fool so involved with the royal family, what's up with the things in the Fool's room, and most of all, is the Fool an Elderling????? I have had this suspicion since one of the history essay chapter introductions in Assassin's Apprentice, but I didn't care enough to poke at it until now, and now I need to know!

Also, interesting that Kettricken might be pregnant. I did wonder, when she was described as being pale but with pink spots on her cheeks, and not eating much at the formal dinner with Lord Brawndy. And I can think of more than a few reasons to hide a pregnancy, especially in the political climate left in Verity's absence.

Verity should have sent scouts (or spies, like Chade and Fitz) ahead to figure out where the Elderlings are, not gone himself, if you ask me. Sure, Wisdom went on his own, but apparently Wisdom never came back, and besides that, Wisdom didn't leave his kingdom with a dying monarch, a power-hungry Prince, and an untried Queen-in-Waiting. Wisdom was fully the king when he went on his quest, too, if I'm not mistaken, whereas Verity is King-in-Waiting and leaves his kingdom in a very precarious state should Shrewd pass while he's away.

I feel like the idea of staying connected to Fitz while Verity is gone is a good one, but also selfish and not terribly useful, since Verity seems to come and go as he pleases and ignore Fitz when it suits him. Although I'm still not sure how the Skill works. I feel like we have a better grasp on the Wit at this point, since Fitz has a better grasp on his own Wit and kind of sucks at Skilling.

Well, clearly I had thoughts on this section that I didn't realize I needed to get out! :)

message 17: by John (last edited Jun 21, 2016 06:47PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Jennifer wrote: "Fitz, you idiot.

I'm finding it hard to empathize with Fitz for a lot of this book. He seems very stuck in the self-pitying teenager phase, even if technically, by the standards of the world he li..."

One of the big problems with finding out anything about the Fool and what he knows and who he is, is that the book is written in first person narrative from Fitz's necessarily limited perspective, so everything that Fool does outside of Fitz's purview is going to be a complete mystery. We may never know the answers to some of the questions you pose.

Verity leaving Buckkeep at this crucial point with Regal lurking about does seem to confound common sense! You would have to expect that by the time he gets back, a coup d'etat will have taken place, and the king, Kettricken and Fitz to all be dead or in hiding( Unless Fitz kills Regal first!).

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (diary-of-a-part-time-writer) | 6 comments John wrote: You would have to expect that by the time he gets back, a coup d'etat will have taken place, and the king, Kettricken and Fitz to all be dead or in hiding( Unless Fitz kills Regal first!).

For real! I kind of felt like maybe Hobb was trying to set up a King Richard/King John and the Crusades type feel here? But no one in this book has time for Verity to return in triumph a few decades later!

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (diary-of-a-part-time-writer) | 6 comments Samantha wrote: The Fool!!! It's hard for me to reply to a lot of these messages as I've read all the books and am afraid of spoiling people. But all I'll say is: JUST WAIT TILL FOOL'S FATE!!!!
He is hands down my favorite literary character. Hobb is very slow with her information. She lays clues, hints and questions....but when she finally gets around it, it's fantastic!!!

I just knew I was going to end up reading this whole ridiculously long series. Now she's left me with questions I need answers to! I have to keep going!

message 20: by Key (new)

Key (leoithne27) | 9 comments So it appears the White Ship is where the Forging occurs? I'm hoping we'll get to see and understand the process very soon.

It amazes me how Regal is so good at leaving little evidence behind. I wonder if he was taught or he learned himself...

I feel so terrible for the Fool! This probably isn't the only time this is going to happen, though, is it? Poor, poor Fool...

I was a bit suprised Chade had part in what was happening with Shrewd, but thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense.

I would never have expected Burrich x Patience, honestly. I thought Burrich loved Chivalry a bit romantically, too... :'D (Well, perhaps he did, who knows). It's cool to see the parallels, though, and I really hope Fitz will be able to learn from Burrich's past.

After reading that last bit in chapter 20 I thought of some things... For one, I feel like I realised that Molly doesn't get much character to herself. She's been basically there for Fitz to crush on and then be a lover, but we haven't seen much outside of that in this book at all compared to before. (Is my memory deceiving me?).
The other thing is I think their relationships shows ''Is love a feeling or choice?'' For Fitz, I feel like it's purely feeling for him. However, for Molly, she's in this state of maturing where it is still a feeling but she also realises that love is a very much a choice.

Also super glad Molly was thinking about pregnancy.
Now Kettricken... I wonder how pregnancy is going to turn out for her? I worry for her and what Regal and his allies may do... Though, I feel like Kettricken can handle herself very well. I just hope the pregnancy won't be too hard on her.

I wonder how much longer Fitz is going to be able to hang on to that thin thread to Verity, and if he'll finally be able to have some more control over when he can Skill to Verity soon.

And honestly, I think Molly joining Fitz in assassination would be awesome, rather they be a couple or not. Even if it's just helping out with preparing poisons and getting information. Doubtful if would happen, but I can dream...

message 21: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Kaylan wrote: "So it appears the White Ship is where the Forging occurs? I'm hoping we'll get to see and understand the process very soon.

It amazes me how Regal is so good at leaving little evidence behind. I ..."

Your memory isn't playing tricks with you, Kaylan. The reason we don't hear much about Molly unless she is within Fitz's purview, is just one of those unavoidable drawbacks of the use of first-person narration. Fitz can only write about what he himself witnesses first hand, or what he is told or what he reads.

I have the same problem trying to find out more about the Fool( who apparently has a secret life to whom no one else is privy). If this book were written in third-person omniscient, we would all know more about all these characters.

message 22: by Noah (new)

Noah | 13 comments This book is really picking up the pace, and I feel like the whole Molly thing has heightened with the Fool's sensing of an heir. I caught how Shrewd called Fitz by his father's name when Fitz was asking about marrying Molly. It was interesting to have some knowledge shed on the story of the piebald prince (one of Hobb's stand-alone books). Regal is driving me insane, as always. I love to hate him, but must congratulate him on his plan of causing havoc between the duchies (if that is him behind it all). I wonder if Fitz joins verity in the third book, or if he just has his own quest. I'm hoping to finish soon. Can't wait to find out what happened to the Fool and why he was attacked.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.