Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Royal Assassin
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
83 views
2016 - ARCHIVED > Royal Assassin - Chapters 11-15

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new) - added it

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 19 comments definitely enjoying the second book liking the connection between fitz and his wolf


Abner | 90 comments So molly was very indifferent to Fitz but we later found out that it was all Regal's doing, that mofo! I knew it!. Finally Molly and Fitz got to do a little dancing in the sheets, I understand why he feels so strong towards her, this is the only aspect of his life he can control (for now). I suspect that Hobb has been too generous this time, this won't last I think.

Kettricken iw working on the Queen's garden in hopes that Verity is happy and dances in the sheets with her.

Now it seems that Regal is plotting to kill Shrewd or at least render him unable to do anything.

The Fool!! so confusing yet so much foretelling!! So as I understood hit little speech the Farseers are named that way because what they did in the future and not in the past? So, the Fool is another race, not human but apparently only by his fathers side. They have foretelling powers and he can see the future sort of but they know where to go and find out who they need to help/manipulate to save them, he finally understood that he was here to help Fitz.

We are getting deeper into the story and it's getting more complicated and convoluted (specially every time the Fool opens his mouth).

The little speech where Fitz told him to get out of his room and the fool said no cuz you already entered mine without permission, I laughed hard.


message 3: by John (last edited Jun 08, 2016 11:05PM) (new)

John | 219 comments "That the knowledge of her that she had given me that night had been shared by my brother, the wolf" Ch.12. pg. 238, Royal Assassin.

Finally, it looks for once that poor Fitz, who has suffered so much from the often wrenching and painful vicissitudes of the last several months, will experience the unmitigated bliss that may be obtained from passionate lovemaking as at least some compensation for all his troubles.

Then, no sooner than entering into a state of post-coital satiation, these words intrude upon the happiest moment he has ever known: "Brother, this is good."; and it dawns on him that Nighteyes, his wolf-bond( who is out in the pig shed), has been experiencing ( through their shared Wit magic) vicarious sexual gratification from Fitz's carnal encounter with Molly!

What a Buzz kill!

Making this worse is finding out later that Verity, in skilling outward to Fitz, ends up witnessing Fitz and Molly's "assignation", as he calls it; thus adding to Fitz's humiliation.

This entire situation brings to mind other disturbing possibilities:

What if the perhaps unprecedented intertwining of Wit and Skill magic, sexual ecstasy and vicarious inter-species involvement were to create a heretofore unknown weird sort of magical alchemy that results in Maggie conceiving a litter of wolf puppies; and further, what if the puppies were to have human- like faces that uncannily resemble Fitz, Molly or even Verity(Try explaining that to Kettricken!)!

If anything like this were to happen, Burrich would never let Fitz hear the end of it! LOL ;)


Anita Reads | 22 comments I'm really enjoying this book a lot more than the first one.

I sadly also think that the whole Molly and Fitz thing will pass over. I'm sure Regal will find a way to ruin it for them.

I liked the bonding between Fitz and the wolf. The wolf is pretty funny.

I pretty much think the same things as @Abner about the Fool theory. It was complicated, but it also made sense.


Alicia | 26 comments So far I like book 1 and book 2 equally!

I love all the character development we're getting and all the character bonding!


Abner | 90 comments "I pretty much think the same things as @Abner about the Fool theory. It was complicated, but it also made sense. "

I though nobody read what I wrote haha, I comment in every thread just for my own record keeping and to see if my theories are right (I come from ASOIAF, so I love to theorize!). Damn Fool complicates everything every time he has a little speech!


Anita Reads | 22 comments I usually read through some of the posts, just to see if we're on the same boat, more or less :)

I love the Fool though. Such a fun addition to the story. The character development is amazing.

Uh. I still need to read Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons, before I'm caught up with ASOIAF (hope that's what you referred to). The only reason I haven't picked up Feast for Crows yet, is because I know Cercei has her own POV and I really don't like her.


Abner | 90 comments Anita wrote: "I love the Fool though. Such a fun addition to the story. The character development is amazing."

Yes I think the Tawny Man trilogy concentrates on him and Fitz (i think), so I'm excited about that.

ASOIAF are chunkers and such a large cast it's impossible to like them all, I really hate Cercei, even though she's a strong woman she is hateable, but you need someone you love to hate on a story right? But finish them you wont regret it, so much foretelling and theorizing is fun.


message 9: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments I have been racing to catch up with this one as I didn't start till the 5th of June, so apologies if this is more general thoughts about the book so far rather than specifically these chapters (wanted to get my thoughts so far down before I read any further because I always forget to actually post during readalongs!!)

I have to say ( and I realise this may be an unpopular opinion) that I am not a fan of the Molly storyline - partly because I'm reluctant to get invested in something that seems doomed from the start, partly because I found Fitz's insistence that she reconcile with him and her eventual capitulation to that insistence uncomfortable (note to all suitors - if your beloved refuses you entry to their bedroom by the door, then descending on a rope and practically forcing your way in via the window is not romantic, it is borderline creepy!) It just seemed like, although Regal had planted some of those objections in her mind, they were still actually quite valid and Fitz didn't really do anything to address them other than declare his love. What do they really have in common, now that she realises she doesn't really know him at all? How does he really think they are going to overcome his multiple secret roles that she can know nothing about? How DOES he imagine they are going to live as a married couple when he keeps being mysteriously whisked away on secret Farseer errands? What about her wish to be independent and run her own business? I just wish that Molly had had the sense to bottom some of these things out before they started a physical relationship.

Kettricken has got so much more interesting in this book. I hope we see more of her capable, intuitive, dignified side (a la leading the court to hunt down the Forged Ones) and less of her spring-cleaning the castle/embroidering/mooning after the king who isn't very interested in her side which is so much less appealing! I don't really get why Verity, who seems very aware of his own shortcomings when it comes to statecraft, can't see her as a useful partner rather than a frivolous distraction.

Also fascinated (as others have said) to see the Fool play a bigger role in this book. I feel like he is planting seeds that will become clearer later on, and that is definitely helping to motivate me to keep going.

Burrich is still my favourite character at the moment I think. What a solid guy/gruffly lovely father-figure for Fitz. I loved it when he stood up to Verity to protect Fitz even though you could tell every instinct was telling him not to overstep his place!

In general, I'm enjoying the darker feel of this book and the ambiguity about lots of the characters which is keeping me guessing!


Alicia | 26 comments Emily wrote: "I have been racing to catch up with this one as I didn't start till the 5th of June, so apologies if this is more general thoughts about the book so far rather than specifically these chapters (wan..."

I agree with you on all your points Emily!

I couldn't form the words myself on how I felt about Fitz and Molly's relationship, but you summed it up perfectly! I do understand that Fitz enjoys "escaping" from his Farseer life with her. However he has repeatedly chose/realized that he can not escape from his duties to his family. So as you say, how can they hope for a future when his his so unclear?

Also, I love Molly as a character! I just wish Fitz would realize that he's not doing her justice! :(


message 11: by John (new)

John | 219 comments "We are brothers. We are pack. ", Fitz finally concedes to Nighteyes, after he had tried and failed to end their bond. The concept of"We are pack"may be the most important moral theme that Robin Hobb upholds throughout the Farseer series: Losing oneself to the greater good of the pack, which is something that comes naturally to wolves, but not so much to human beings, who have developed a greater sense of individuality and freedom.

This has created more room for the intelligence and creativity of humans to innovate and potentially improve their lives; but sometimes at the cost of acquiring more selfish "Us vs. Them" ways of treating human beings.

Shrewd tends to see the other duchies as potential adversaries more often than seems justified, and appears to be almost compulsively drawn to engaging in Machiavellian games of intrigue beyond their practical necessity. Ultimately to encourage this way of life leads inexorably to the succession of progressively more selfish leaders like Regal.

Fitz, because of his bond with Nighteyes, can begin to see the value of a "We are pack" philosophy as applied to the Six Duchies and the common good.


message 12: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Emily wrote: "I have been racing to catch up with this one as I didn't start till the 5th of June, so apologies if this is more general thoughts about the book so far rather than specifically these chapters (wan..."
These are really excellent comments, Emily!

The only thing I can say in defense of Fitz's and Molly's choices here, as they are being just as stupid and irrational and reckless as you have indicated, is that they are young and in love; and speaking for myself, if I were Fitz at sixteen and had had the miserable life he has had, and thought for an instant I could be married to the girl I loved , I would also be stupid and impulsive and irrational one hundred times out of one hundred , even though we know our match would likely ruin our lives, because wisdom and sensibility are just not the province of the young.


message 13: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments Alicia wrote: "Also, I love Molly as a character! I just wish Fitz would realize that he's not doing her justice! :("

Agreed - at this stage he is being at best thoughtless and at worst selfish! And in Molly's defence she doesn't know the half of the odds that are stacked against them still....


message 14: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments John wrote: "wisdom and sensibility are just not the province of the young"

Haha very true! I forget how young Fitz is supposed to be because in other spheres of life he seems to have a wisdom that belies his years - for example more than once he has been able to diffuse complex court situations without resorting to the assassins' methods, suggesting that he has a knack for political chess and being able to foresee the consequences of his actions. But perhaps as you suggest the idea is that the young are blind in love whilst not necessarily in politics :)


message 15: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily (midwinternightingale) | 23 comments John wrote: "The concept of"We are pack"may be the most important moral theme that Robin Hobb upholds throughout the Farseer series: Losing oneself to the greater good of the pack, which is something that comes naturally to wolves, but not so much to human beings, who have developed a greater sense of individuality and freedom."

I think you have hit the nail on the head here - this really seems to be the whole book in a nutshell! I wonder whether Fitz's closeness with the wolf will give him the insight he needs to make that choice eventually


message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Richey I got slightly behind reading the first book, but I'm flying through the second one! I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about the Fitz/Molly forbidden love story. Art of me is hoping they can be happy but it seems there is too much else going on for that to ever happen. Regal is such an ASS. Everytime I think I can't hate him more he does something to top his last shady thing. Super mad to see the King suffering at what I'm sure is his son's doing.


Sarah | 52 comments Finally something is happening!!!
I really love the wolf and the relationship between him and Fitz.
I get that it's treason and so on to say something against Regal but how is it that nobody decides to do somtheing against him anyway!!!
I still don't like Molly. She is to gullible and naive and just generally uninteresting. Sje is also probably going to be the reason behind someones death because Fitz is going to be givig tp much attention to her and that's why he will do something incredibly stupid. And that's going to be the death of someone.


message 18: by John (last edited Jun 16, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Sarah wrote: "Finally something is happening!!!
I really love the wolf and the relationship between him and Fitz.
I get that it's treason and so on to say something against Regal but how is it that nobody decid..."


The problem about Regal is that Shrewd has already passed judgment on him and dealt out his meager punishment. The loyal prince that he is, Verity cannot initiate an attack on Regal behind the kings back because he would feel due process( The King's decision), is final word on the matter, pending Regal not being caught doing something else.

Kettricken, as bad as she wants Regal dead, can't usurp her husband, the king-in-waiting here; hypothetically were she to personally poison Regal( the kings favorite son) on her own, she might be liable to execution(formally or otherwise); and Fitz is sworn as a king's man and cannot proceed without his authority; this goes for Chade as well.


message 19: by Key (new) - rated it 5 stars

Key (leoithne27) | 9 comments I definitely am enjoying this one a little more than the last. I am starting to want a bit of a ''kick'' to the story, however.
I agree with you on the Molly stuff, Emily. Worded if perfectly. Definitely weirded me out enough with the stalking/memorising her time tables and all, but then going into her window like that? Huh... As much as I can sort of grasp why they would push away and ignore risks and issues (such as how marriage would work out), I'm still in a lot of disbelief. You know Regal talked to her already - one mistake and it's over. And do they have precautions for pregnancy that are just not mentioned? If Molly has to take something I imagine who she gets it from could add to that risk.
With the Wolf and Fitz relationship I both love it but also fear it and the negative effects it may have on Fitz. I'm wondering if Burrich will bring up anything about the Wit again anytime soon. Interesting about the axe stuff, too.
I almost feel like the Fool has Elderling blood in him -- but that's probably incredibly far-fetched... Loving every interaction with him, though. Wonder why he is as close as he is to Shrewd specifically. I wish Shrewd could live to old age properly if they could save him in time, even just for the Fool's sake, but I doubt they'll be able to.


message 20: by Noah (new)

Noah | 13 comments The pace is getting better, but I feel that Hobb could've cut some things out. Nighteyes is so cool, and I'm afraid someone will eventually find out about him. The relationship between Fitz and Molly is okay, but I don't really care for it much; Molly is either really good, or really meh. There's no in between. I really hope to finish by July (so behind!).


message 21: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Meera wrote: "Gosh, Fitz annoys me at the moment. That doesn't mean I understand his reaction and feelings, he still is young and has so many people to demand something of him. Still, he has so much to learn yet..."


Fitz's problem is that his teachers have their own shortcomings.

Verity is so busy with the red ship raiders that he can't even make time for his own wife!

Burrich and Fitz are still at loggerheads over Fitz's use of the Wit( and Burrich doesn't even know about the wolf yet).

Chade, who has been absent on spy missions a good part of the book, is, after all, primarily there to train Fitz as an assassin, not moral/ethical training.

The Fool often speaks obscurely.

Lady Patience is a bit dotty and naive; and the king can't even help himself right now.

What Fitz needs are new teachers!


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.