Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Royal Assassin
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Royal Assassin - Chapters 1-5

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Samantha (httpswwwgoodreadscomnovelsandnon) | 189 comments Mod
The beginning! Are you happy to be back with Fitz?

Lilkadykitty :) | 5 comments Yea he is something alright!

Abner | 90 comments So far is him getting back to the keep and trying to heal over his injuries from poison (I call them the shakes). I still don't completely comprehend that scene where Fitz is seeing everything through Shrewd's eye's and he witnessed the attack of Siltbay. I get that Fitz Skill goes out of control when he sleeps but he basically took control of Shrewd, that's some next level shit!. So all the stories of how king Wisdom convinced the Elderlings to help him get rid of the raiders where lost to mildew and worms, somehow I find stupid that such important documents where lost so easily "WTF guys?!?!". Regal is basically strolling about the keep drinking and partying with no consequences but Verity assures Fitz that he has him on a tighter leash, I'm sure we are going to enjoy his demise soon™.

message 4: by Frankie (last edited Jun 02, 2016 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frankie (frankiereads) YES! I am enjoying this book quite a bit so far. I like the way we're getting a nice re-cap from Assassin's Apprentice. I feel like Hobb breaks down the magic system VERY nicely right from the beginning. I'm enjoying seeing Fitz sort of come into his own - even if things aren't perfect (as usual).

I'm glad that it seems like Verity finally has a plan to get these Red Raiders in check because King Shrewd just wasn't cutting it. Regal is up to his old high jinx - but he makes the story interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this book has to offer as far as Fitz's character progression, learning more about The Fool, and seeing how Verity, Chade, Burrich, and Regal's roles play out. I'm also so excited to see our Queen in Waiting get into the mix. I thought it was ironic how Fitz (one of the most pity-party having characters I've ever met) had to snap her out of her melancholy.

I am not hopeful for Fitz and Molly - not the way Hobb treats her characters!! Lol.

message 5: by John (last edited Jun 07, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

John | 219 comments I'm enjoying this book even more than the initial book in this trilogy; however, I really hated the first chapter!

Fitz is starting out in a world of pain, having sustained major nerve damage, experienced seizures and suffered round the clock chronic pain, all stemming from the poisoning on the wedding trip ( it's not unusual for somebody to get poisoning at a wedding during the reception, but Fitz got poisoned twice before the cold hors d'oeuvres were served !). He's an old man at fifteen and it's not at all clear at the start that he's ever going to get significantly better and it's all very depressing.

Then on top of this you add the Siltbay vision, and it's hell on earth! Thoroughly horrifying and upsetting descriptions of people being mercilessly savaged and slaughtered - it's just too much to take at the beginning of the novel. I'm so glad that it didn't go on like this, and Fitz did start showing improvement.

message 6: by John (last edited Jun 07, 2016 06:44AM) (new)

John | 219 comments So why haven't the Farseers, given what they know of Regal's treachery, dealt with him in a more decisive way?

Well, Shrewd is hopelessly biased on behalf of his favorite son, Regal, and just can't bring himself to take more than half-measures to discipline him.

Verity, when it comes down to it, is more comfortable being a lieutenant rather than a captain; one who follows orders, not someone who would take a bold initiative to deal with Regal even if it meant disobeying his king's wishes ; and so would prefer yielding to the king's authority.

Kettricken wants badly to avenge her brother's murder, but away from her comfort zone in the Mountain Kingdom, she is like a fish out of water. Alone and isolated, with no friends on the court and with Verity too busy skilling against the red ship raiders to make time for her, she has lost her confidence and can't muster an initiative to handle Regal herself.

Fitz is still recuperating in the mountains and is not a factor; even when he returns he is not going to flout the authority of both Shrewd and Verity to exact his own revenge.

The biggest problem here may be that everybody tends to underestimate Regal, mainly because he's always been the younger brother, has never trained in skilling and is seen as a supercilious fop who parties too much. But he is utterly ruthless and cunning; and except for his own blunders, he might be king already.

So the Farseers may have opted for a fragile peace within their household for the time being, but they may soon pay dearly for their inaction.

Brock (brockroberts) | 0 comments The prologue was the perfect way to get back into these books. Robin Hobb has created a miracle. Normally long fantasy series have characters recap events to themselves or others to give a reminder of previous books. This can come across as very, very artificial as it only exists to remind the reader. The reiteration of the previous events in this book feels so connected to what will happen in this next book. I had an emotional reaction reading it all. Not only was I refreshed on the plot, I was feeling each and every word.

I'm telling you...miracles.

message 8: by Katherine (last edited Jun 04, 2016 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katherine | 2 comments So far, Royal Assassin seems focused on re-establishing the setting at Buckkeep and recapping everything that has happened thus far. But we also get a few new elements set up that have potential to be very interesting - the connection to the wolf cub, Molly living in the keep, Kettricken potentially stirring up some trouble as queen to be, and the odd mental connection Fitz seems to have now with King Shrewd.

My first thought on these chapters is wow, Fitz has really become a lot more bold. In much of the first book I felt like he was being extremely passive. While this was understandable given his young age and lonely upbringing, the story seemed more like an account of the things that kept happening to him rather than the actions he took. This changed a bit toward the end, and now it looks like a development that is here to stay. I'm enjoying hearing him speak up for himself more and learning about what he thinks and feels about what is going on. It is giving him a bit more depth.

I also really liked seeing some of the female characters getting a bit more screentime (pagetime?) in these early chapters. I felt like the first book primarily centered around Fitz (obviously), Burrich, Regal, Chade, Galen, Verity, Shrewd and The Fool. But there are some interesting ladies here too and I want to learn more about them (especially Patience). Hopefully they will be less on the periphery in this book.

I was also really intrigued by Virago and hope we haven't seen the last of her!

Overall enjoying this installment so far and looking forward to getting more into the meat of things in the upcoming chapters.

Alicia | 26 comments So much happened in 5 chapters!!!

It's really nice to see Fitz come into his own and start thinking about who he is as a person.

It's not the best situation with Molly but it's nice to have her more so in his "world" so she can get closer to knowing the "real" Newboy. However, in regards to everyone else in Fitz's life, it's nice to see their different relationships developing anew! The wolf cub will hopefully be able to stay for the long run!!!

I really enjoyed the last chapter in that we get Fitz's prospective of going out and doing a "job", as I feel in the last book we missed out in following along with him on most of his "jobs"

I'm looking forward to the rest of this book!!!

message 10: by Anita Reads (last edited Jun 05, 2016 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita Reads | 22 comments So far I'm really enjoying this second book.

The first part here is definitely a lot about Fitz getting back to himself after his poisoning. I liked how Burrich handled his situation, as Fitz was very difficult in this book. It's also understandable why. It must not be easy suddenly not able to do everything you used to do. Even though he's still really young.

So interesting with Molly back in the story. I wonder where that story will lead.

How about that wolf though. Will we see more to him after Fitz rescued him? I hope that he will be part of these books for a longer period this time.

I liked how Fitz also took on the job with Kettricken.

All over. I'm really looking forward to continuing this story. Although I'm already very much behind on this book. Will have a lot of time to read today though. So hopefully I'll get back on some of it.

message 11: by William (new) - added it

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 19 comments I enjoyed the book thus far really glad that fitz is back

Bookbabble | 2 comments I really appreciated the care she took in the prologue with the re-cap. It did not feel forced or drawn out, it was a very natural progression. I have a strong feeling that this wolf pup will become more important as the story progresses (mostly because he's on the cover of my copy of the book!)

Sarah  | 6 comments I am very excited to get back into this! I finished the first book last year so the prologue was a life saver! I am very keen to explore the relationship with the wolf evolve because who doesn't love an animal character! I am also interested to learn more about the red headed woman during the raids. I am going to read The Farseer Trilogy via audiobook and I am really enjoying it. Fantasy is the only genre I can really stand on audiobook because you can go off into the world!!

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma (goodreadscomhuntinggoya) | 2 comments Anyone else kind of bored? I'm having a hard time getting into this one. I read it MANY years ago but don't remember having a hard time becoming invested.

Sarah | 52 comments I felt like the beginning of the book did not 100% fit the ending of the last book. It was a bit discontinuous.
Also the stoeyline of the hero who has to find his worth again is not exactly my favourite.
Othewise I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. I want to know more about the storyline with the wolf.
Also I am almost certain that Shrewd is being poisones, who else feels that way?

Brock wrote: "The prologue was the perfect way to get back into these books. Robin Hobb has created a miracle. Normally long fantasy series have characters recap events to themselves or others to give a reminder..."

I love the way Hobb does the recap as well....I usually find them tedious (as in harry Potter) but her writing makes it feel so much more fluid!

Katherine wrote: "So far, Royal Assassin seems focused on re-establishing the setting at Buckkeep and recapping everything that has happened thus far. But we also get a few new elements set up that have potential to..."

Yes! Hobb really takes off with the female characters in this book (Liveship has some great ones)!

Bookbabble wrote: "I really appreciated the care she took in the prologue with the re-cap. It did not feel forced or drawn out, it was a very natural progression. I have a strong feeling that this wolf pup will becom..."

Oh yes he does!! ;)

Christina Pilkington | 4 comments Abner wrote: "So far is him getting back to the keep and trying to heal over his injuries from poison (I call them the shakes). I still don't completely comprehend that scene where Fitz is seeing everything thro..."

There has to be more going on than we know as to why Fitz can now see through Shrew's eyes. Maybe Shrew knows he's not going to live long and is passing along important info to Fitz? Maybe Fitz's skill is that much stronger than everyone else's, and he will learn how to probe deep into other's minds?

Christina Pilkington | 4 comments Brock wrote: "The prologue was the perfect way to get back into these books. Robin Hobb has created a miracle. Normally long fantasy series have characters recap events to themselves or others to give a reminder..."

I completely agree! I read the first book a year ago, and this prologue was the perfect way to recap me on what went on in the first book. So much better than info dumping by having a character in the first chapter recap the previous book in a monologue.

Christina Pilkington | 4 comments Katherine wrote: "So far, Royal Assassin seems focused on re-establishing the setting at Buckkeep and recapping everything that has happened thus far. But we also get a few new elements set up that have potential to..."

I'm hoping for some more female character development, too! I feel we already have that so far with Kettricken.

Christina Pilkington | 4 comments Sarah wrote: "I felt like the beginning of the book did not 100% fit the ending of the last book. It was a bit discontinuous.
Also the stoeyline of the hero who has to find his worth again is not exactly my favo..."

I hadn't thought about that, but since you mentioned it, I think you're right! I wonder if he's being poisoned by Regal. I think Shrew knows that Regal is poisoning him and that's why he's so adamant that Fitz promises not to hurt him. Maybe his death will be significant someone.

message 23: by Noah (new)

Noah | 13 comments I'm so behind! I've had so much going on with end of school and beginning of summer, but I'm starting to catch up with this book. The beginning of it was kinda ehh. The prologue/intro was kinda redundant but I still read it. The only thing I've really loved so far was when Shrewd and Fitz were overlapping minds. So cool! And you finally start to see the Fool's abilities. Some of the descriptions aren't needed. I feel like some of the stuff could've been cut out (unless it turns out being important... Because I've heard how sly Hobb is). Hope to catch up and finish... (It's a lot of pages, though…)

message 24: by Key (new) - rated it 5 stars

Key (leoithne27) | 9 comments I'm really behind but hopefully I'll be able to catch up this week!

I'm already enjoying the beginning already. It'll be really interesting to see Fitz dealing with the issues from those poisons for the rest of his life if that's to be the case.

I guessed that Fitz was with Shrewd when it was mentioned he was in the king's chambers, but I'm still fairly confused on that bit (it sometimes was hard for me to differentiate who was speaking and what-not) and I'm hoping that reading on will make the scene make more sense.

I still don't really have any feeling for Fitz x Molly, but I am hoping they eventually will be able to talk things through and at least be friends again if anything. It's kind of nice to know that Molly didn't just end up leaving the story with a side character to never be seen again (or rarely).

Excited and hopeful about finding out more things about the wolf cub, Patience, and Kettricken. And also I feel like Virago is going to stir up some trouble in the future.

message 25: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Kaylan wrote: "I'm really behind but hopefully I'll be able to catch up this week!

I'm already enjoying the beginning already. It'll be really interesting to see Fitz dealing with the issues from those poisons f..."

Fitz, who is still physically in the Mountain Kingdom, is Skill-dreaming( or Skill-seeing) through King Shrewd's eyes here, all the way at Buckkeep.

Most of the most emotionally wrought dialogue coming from Shrewd's mouth( especially about Molly) are actually being said by Fitz! No wonder the Fool is bewildered!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.