FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Aya (Aya #1)
This topic is about Aya
Women of Africa > Aya group discussion (June '16)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
This month's selection, Aya by Marguerite Abouet is a graphic novel set in the Ivory Coast. This looks like fun! Who's in for this with us?

message 2: by Alexa (new) - added it

I got this from the library - anybody else got it yet?

message 3: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments My library doesn't have it, and the only version available in the UK is a hardback for £15, which I just can't afford at the moment, so I'll have to give this one a miss, sadly :-(

message 4: by Alexa (new) - added it

Oh that stinks! (Is it cheating to find a bookstore with a good coffee shop, and read a short book like that if you pay for the coffee?)

message 5: by Alexa (new) - added it

Well, I'm afraid I can't recommend this one! Its so-called humor consisted of things like middle-aged men making passes at the friends of their high-school aged daughters and people getting in fights. In many ways the whole thing is one long off-color yet sophomoric joke. I did not find it an "irresistible comedy," I didn't see any "love stories" and I do not believe this offers any insights into "the minds of teenage girls." All the teenage girls I've known are far more intelligent, thoughtful, and sensible then anyone I met in this! Most strongly I disagree with anyone who could claim that this is a "very political book." This book attempts to laugh at abuse and to make young women into nothing but simple-minded and selfish fools. (The best part of it is the cover, it goes steadily downhill from there.)

message 6: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments Oh, that sounds dreadful, Alexa! I'm glad I didn't waste my money on the hardback!

message 7: by Alexa (new) - added it

I saved you! I'm gladly taking this back to the library!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Aya (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marguerite Abouet (other topics)