The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Maddison vs Nancy Maire vs Brianna

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves - Version B

Mediterranean Avenue – Books read must start with M. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Books read must start with B. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - Books read must start with O. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Books read must start with V. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books read must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place – Author’s first or last name must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with S. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with V. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Author’s first or last name must start with J. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with T. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with N. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with K. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with I. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with I. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with A. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with V. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Author’s name or book title must start with M. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.
North Carolina Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with N. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.

Park Place - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 3 books to own and 1 of those books must also have a blue cover. Must read 5 books if the property is owned and 2 of those books must also have a blue cover.
Boardwalk - Author’s name or book title must start with B. - Must read 3 books to own and 1 of those books must also have a blue cover. Must read 5 books if the property is owned and 2 of those books must also have a blue cover.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Maddie (last edited Jun 10, 2017 04:46AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Tracking
Mediterranean Avenue
Baltic Avenue - Owned by Nancy

Oriental Avenue
Vermont Avenue
Connecticut Avenue - Owned by Nancy

St Charles Place - Owned by Brianna
States Avenue
Virginia Avenue - Owned by Maddie

St James Place
Tennessee Avenue
New York Avenue

Kentucky Avenue
Indiana Avenue
Illinois Avenue

Atlantic Avenue
Ventnor Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Marvin Gardens - Owned by Nancy

Pacific Avenue
North Carolina Avenue
Pennsylvania Avenue

Park Place
Boardwalk - Owned by Maddie

Water Works - Owned by Maddie
Electric Company

Reading Railroad
Pennsylvania Railroad
B&O Railroad
Short Line Railroad

message 5: by Maddie (last edited Mar 18, 2017 05:47PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Community Chest
2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it. Maddison
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance
2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Serious? Rolled another 5+2=7
Start: Go
End: Chance
Chance Roll: 6+2=8
Task: Go back 3 spaces
Actual End: Income Tax
Task: Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more

message 7: by Nancy85 (last edited Jun 02, 2016 02:53AM) (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Roll a 4 (2+2)
End: Income tax :Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more

message 8: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Do you roll again after doubles?

message 9: by Maddie (last edited Jun 02, 2016 02:35AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments I also need to remember to take off the chance cards. Already 2 down.

message 10: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments I think you do. I asked about it but no one answered me. I mean, you get to roll again after doubles when you play it for real.

message 11: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Yeah. Haven't posted in the Q&A Thread?

message 12: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Wait you did haha.

message 13: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments haha. I'm starting to think you don't. I think I messed up

message 14: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Yeah I don't think you do.

message 15: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments In that case we both land on Income Tax as our first square! How frustrating! If Brianna lands on a property that's frustrating.

message 16: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments I edited mine just incase you dont

message 17: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Well, she did land on St. Charles Place

message 18: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Oh true she rolled already. Bummer she's ahead of us now :p Hopefully this one won't take me long. I think my current book might count actually, with a few rich characters being involved.

message 19: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments I know which book i'm going to read for it but I don't know when i'll get to it

message 20: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments On my game with Brianna I landed on a V author. Which will take me many days/weeks/months :p I'll need to find a little book for that. Oh wait, I'm reading Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard at the end of this month so looks like I'll be reading that for that one.

message 21: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Completion Post #1
Book: The Wide Window
Read: 6/2/16
Rate: 5 stars
Review: Review: This is the third book in the A Series of Unfortunate Events and I loved this book, just liked I loved the first two. A Mr. Poe (who works at a bank) takes care of the children who lost their parents in an fire. So far, they have had two guardians to take care of them but in the end it's always a Count Olaf who tries to get their fortune. I will continue to read these series.

message 22: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Roll 2: 5 (1+4)
Start: Income Tax
End: Connecticut Avenue
Task: Books read must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

message 23: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Wow you're onto it!

message 24: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Thanks. I try

message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Income Tax
Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick
Read: 3/6/16
Rating: 4 stars
Task: Read a book with a rich/poor character or someone who works in a bank
How it fits: Rich character Patch/Elliot/Jules

Review: Decreased this rating from 5 stars to 4. The characters just annoyed me a lot more in this book, I suppose, especially Nora, with her (view spoiler) I was really surprised that Jules was (view spoiler) I really cannot remember anything from my first reading of it. I think I properly understand more about (view spoiler)

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Rolled a 4+2=6
Start: Income Tax
End: Just Visiting
Task: Read a novella (50 pages minimum)

Yay I'm reading a novella for another game so I can count it for both :)

message 27: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments Oh my goodness you guys move so fast. I haven't even started my book yet. Good job guys

message 28: by Brianna (last edited Jun 06, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments Just moving my post so tracking is at the top.

Rolled: 11 (6+5)
End: St. Charles Place
Task: Read 1 book where author’s first or last name must start with C
Book chosen: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

message 29: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Good luck to you too!

message 30: by Brianna (last edited Jun 06, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments St. Charles Place

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Finished: June 6, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Task: Read 1 book where author’s first or last name must start with C
How it fits: Author C.S. Lewis

Review: I didn't read this book as a kid. This is actually my first time reading this book. Even though I did enjoy the book, I feel like I probably would have enjoyed it more as a kid reading it than as an adult. I didn't really like Edmund, I felt as though he is very selfish. I loved Lucy and the fact that she was able to see who is good and who is bad. Overall this was a really good story and I plan on continuing the series.

message 31: by Brianna (last edited May 02, 2017 05:21AM) (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments Rolled: 4 (1+3)
Start: St. Charles Place
End: Pennsylvania Railroad
Task: Read a book set in Pennsylvania

Book chosen: Flawless (Pretty Little Liars, #2) by Sara Shepard by Sara Shepard

message 32: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Updating tracking post.

message 33: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments See Brianna you're actually ahead because you already own a property :p

message 34: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments C is for Corpse (Kinsey Millhone, #3) by Sue Grafton
Read: 6/7/16
Rate: 3 stars
How it fits: Books read must start with C
Review: This is the third book in the alphabet series by Sue Grafton. This was a pretty good book. Kinsey Milhone is an investigator. She is investigation a death of a Boddy Callahan. While she was investigation his death, she was almost killed herself but she was saved. I'm going to continue the series, but i'm not sure when i'll be able to do that.

*Now own Connecticut Avenue*

message 35: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Roll 3: 7 (6+1)
Start: Connecticut Avenue
Finish: St. Charles Place *own by Brianna*
Task: Author’s first or last name must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned

message 36: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Unlucky landing on Brianna's :/

message 37: by Maddie (last edited Jun 07, 2016 02:53AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Now I'm behind haha. Gotta hurry up and finish my current book so I can read the novella that comes after it.

message 38: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments And here I am in a little slump.

message 39: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Yeah I know. Very unlucky

message 40: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments I'll hopefully try finish my current book (and the novella) today.

message 41: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Wow I did it! Surprising stuff! I actually really didn't think I would haha.

message 42: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Considering I read like 300 pages after 4:30pm.

message 43: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Just Visiting Completion
Mitosis (Reckoners, #1.5) by Brandon Sanderson
Read 8/6/16
Rating: 3 stars
Task: Read a novella
How it fits: Novella

Review: Cool little novella :) Nice little burst of plot which I think will join the first one with the second one :) I liked the way (view spoiler) Didn't really like (view spoiler) Please I read this one :)

message 44: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Rolled 6+4=10
Start: Just Visiting
End: Free Parking
Task: Read whatever I like

Yay current book counts! But still not landing on properties :/ And my current book'll take me ages.

message 45: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Still owned no properties.

message 46: by Nancy85 (last edited Jul 02, 2016 02:33PM) (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments St. Charles Place *own by Brianna*- Must read 2 books if the property is owned

Book 1: Untamed by P.C. Cast
Read: 6/12/16
Rate: 2 stars
Review: I didn't like this one as I liked the first three. I will continue with the series and hope that they will get better. Not sure when i'll read the next book in the series yet.

Book 2: Finn by Jon Clinch
Read: 7/2/16
Rate: 2 stars
Review: I was totally lost in this book. I had no idea what was going on. The way the words were was hard to follow. I just thought this book was an ok book.

message 47: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments It is getting really hard to read Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner. I'm just not that interested in it. I am hoping that it will eventually pick up being that I am still at the way beginning (only on Chapter 2).

message 48: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments Yeah, well hardly any books are that riveting at the start haha.

message 49: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 235 comments That is very true lol

message 50: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3585 comments XD Gotta give them a decent chance. I actually don't DNF any books.

« previous 1 3