The One (The Selection, #3) The One discussion

Alright... fess up... Who here is already finished?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jacque (last edited May 07, 2014 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jacque I just finished early this afternoon. I don't know what came over me I just couldn't stop!

And how does everyone feel about it? Since everyone here has read it, we can discuss freely. :)

Isis jup finished it yesterday...

Sarah Just finished today

Martina S Just finished it this morning! *.*

Jacque How does everyone feel about it?

Sophie Chimbanda I finished it last night

Christina Finished it yesterday.

Lorena Haro I like it, and so sad that Anne didnt make it, but when Maxon told America that his heart was hers to break, ooo, and then he almost dying, but overall it was a good ending

Jess S Just finished. I'm having a sort of bitter sweet moment. …SPOILER.. I'm Happy it ended the way I wanted and like I said all along Mer and Aspen were just friends! I was shocked about Celeste though I knew the king could never make it to the end. I guess I'm kinda weirded out I guessed so much of this book right.

Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill Just finished this morning...gah!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I got it yesterday night and I stayed up till midnight until I finished it.

Begüm Just finished yesterday!

Ilana i was the kind of person who had to read it on the release day and wouldn't put it down until i was done. i was so thrilled with how the story evolved, it wasn't clear cut to the ending, even though i think that we all knew where things were going to net out. i was really happy about most of it, even with the bittersweet moments for both America and Maxon.

Karina just finished today!
i also have this bitter sweet moment. I think we all have guessed who will maxon chose by the end of the selection and a lot of things are also predictable and unpredictable at the same time. Nevertheless, i really had fun reading The One.

SPOILER ALERT
i was so happy that the last four girls being so close and happy towards each other, especially when they are taking pictures together but i have to say I didn't see it coming when i found out that celeste, the queen, and anne died.

Ilana Karina wrote: "just finished today!
i also have this bitter sweet moment. I think we all have guessed who will maxon chose by the end of the selection and a lot of things are also predictable and unpredictable at..."

i think that none of us expected all those deaths in the end to be honest - i think that we were all hoping that the Queen would have her daughter that she always wanted - i think that would have been the best ending. i don't care that the King died though - it allowed Maxon to come into his own. I AM surprised that Mary just disappeared - although with lucy being with Aspen and Mary being so unhappy there, i'm not too shocked i guess.

Karina Ilana wrote: "Karina wrote: "just finished today!
i also have this bitter sweet moment. I think we all have guessed who will maxon chose by the end of the selection and a lot of things are also predictable and u..."

yes, i completely agree. i was really looking forward for more america-queen amberly mother-daughter relationship. Remember when america was jokingly called her 'mother' and she was so touched? that is so sweet! the king, though, i was really glad that he's finally gone, muahahaha!

Ashlyn I just finished! I loved it and I really like Celeste now! There better be another book though.

Jacque I don't normally want to write fanfiction but I'm wanting to write a fanfiction on this one!

Carla Antonia did celeste die at the end ? i just finish but i couldnt understand if she was alive or dead.

Elise Spoiler Alert:

I was glad that America and Maxon ended up together. That's what I was hoping for. However, I found the large majority of the book to be boring. I was hoping that Cass would have brought out the rebel plot more. There were so many unanswered questions about why the rebellion started, what was going to happen next, etc. Overall, I'm sad to admit that I was disappointed.

Christina Just finished this afternoon! My friend pre-ordered it, and then I stole it from her. The ending was so sweet!!

message 22: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose Miller Yep! I am so glad America and Maxon got together! I was disappointed her dad dies though.

Jacque Carla wrote: "did celeste die at the end ? i just finish but i couldnt understand if she was alive or dead."
She was shot in the head... it was pretty quick.

Jacque Rose wrote: "Yep! I am so glad America and Maxon got together! I was disappointed her dad dies though."

It was really important to see how he reacted with her for it though and he definitely passed that test!

Jacque Elise wrote: "Spoiler Alert:

I was glad that America and Maxon ended up together. That's what I was hoping for. However, I found the large majority of the book to be boring. I was hoping that Cass would have br..."

Honestly, I just wish we could have more on their first few weeks as a married couple to see how they did, to see them resolve the Aspen problem, how they planned to start with their plans, etc. I didn't think it was boring necessarily, but he definitely kept Celeste and Elise waaaay longer than necessary. So I just wish we could have had at least an epilogue.

Denice Finished yesterday and must say that I agree with Jacque in msg 25 completely! I was't disappointed with this book but I certainly didn't get that feeling of; I don't want this book to end!

message 27: by Nikita (new) - added it

Nikita Finished it yesterday, and am still swooning about it :D

Dee/ bookworm finished it in one day

Seshnie Naransamy I feel like something was missing. Like there should be another book. There were so many questions I had in the end. How did he break the news to Kriss? Did he ever find out she was part of the rebellion? How were they going to defeat the southern rebels? and so many more. I really think there should be another book.

message 30: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max whispers we need another book aaaa but we are getting a novella The Queen about Queen Amberly but still you feel-- 4thboookkkk

Phoenix Mariani I finished it yesterday. It was very good but Does anybody else feel as if the author just killed any one who was a problem to the story?
Problem:Max should get the throne >> Solution: Kill the King
Problem: America should become the princess >> Sol: Kill the Queen
Problem: Anne loves Aspen but the feelings are not returned >> Solution: Kill Anne and replace her with Lucy.

Plus did you see the way every one keep recovering from their parents death in a blink of an eye?

Jacque Seshnie wrote: "I feel like something was missing. Like there should be another book. There were so many questions I had in the end. How did he break the news to Kriss? Did he ever find out she was part of the..."
I think all things concerning Kriss could be a novella

Jacque Lina wrote: "I finished it yesterday. It was very good but Does anybody else feel as if the author just killed any one who was a problem to the story?
Problem:Max should get the throne >> Solution: Kill the Kin..."

I definitely saw it that way! How cold he was to her made me want to cry! "MAXXXXXXOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!" D:

Jacque Max wrote: "whispers we need another book aaaa but we are getting a novella The Queen about Queen Amberly but still you feel-- 4thboookkkk"

Normally I would say, "No, three is enough" but I wouldn't mind seeing how America adapts, how their honeymoon goes, how Maxon does in his first few weeks or months as King, how they stop the Southern Rebels, etc.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol! I finished yesterday ^.^ love the cover!

message 36: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Zuniga Finished it! My favorite part was the love letters. NCAFIVUOAJFVOHOAUJVDCJ!!!! THE LETTERS!!!!

message 37: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max THE LETTERS KILLLLEEED MEEEE

Jacque Max wrote: "THE LETTERS KILLLLEEED MEEEE"

I was just like REALLY?!!!? America you dun fucked up!

Carla Antonia I was really worried maxon wouldn't pick her

Jacque Cindy wrote: "Finished it! My favorite part was the love letters. NCAFIVUOAJFVOHOAUJVDCJ!!!! THE LETTERS!!!!"

Honestly I loved all of the action parts that really prove Maxon's devotion to her. The bullet in her arm, allowing her to go to her home for her father, showing her his room, taking her up to the roof because he knows how much she loves the outdoors, saving her life, just all of these little things that prove he is truly in love with her.

Carla Antonia I totally agree. I love how maxon acts in the 3 book.

message 42: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max Jacque wrote: "Max wrote: "THE LETTERS KILLLLEEED MEEEE"

I was just like REALLY?!!!? America you dun fucked up!"

RIGHT! RIGHT!! THE WHOLE TIME I WAS JUST AMERICA YOU FUCKED SHIT UP SO BAD! GDI! ALSKJLAKSJLAKSJ GDIIIIIII!!!

And Oh gosh yeeeess Maxon's Actions of Devotion for her is just. Yes yes-- Yes Book 3 Maxon is just idk wonderful.

I also like the part where America was all like Love him in her mind like FINALLY??? YES THANK YOU. AAAAAAD I REALLY LIKE THE PART WHERE MICAH DIED-- (SHITWAITLETMEEXPLAIN) I dunno It suck Micah Died but-- like we didnt even know the kid but I just i was-- i tears.

ALSO OH MY GOSH EVERYTHING IS JUST THE MOMENT WE ARE LAUGHING THE NEXT PAGE WE"RE JUST CRYING AND BEING NO. NOOO. STOP IT STOP FUCKIN WITH MY FEELS.

message 43: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max Jacque wrote: "Max wrote: "whispers we need another book aaaa but we are getting a novella The Queen about Queen Amberly but still you feel-- 4thboookkkk"

Normally I would say, "No, three is enough" but I wouldn..."

Yes I KNoW ME TOO! Like usually Three is enough some times even not needed //shot

But I really wanna see How America Adapts in to the ~Royal~ Life you know and Oh gosh yes Southern Rebels. I wish we could have explored more into the Rebels.

Jacque Max wrote: "Jacque wrote: "Max wrote: "whispers we need another book aaaa but we are getting a novella The Queen about Queen Amberly but still you feel-- 4thboookkkk"

Normally I would say, "No, three is enoug..."

Yeah maybe if enough people ask for it she may make a fourth installment or even just a epilogue novella to let us know how America is doing and how married life is going and how they are going to fight against the Southern Rebels and get rid of the caste system.

Jacque Carla wrote: "I was really worried maxon wouldn't pick her"

At the last minute I was like REALLY? REALLY? This is why we can't have nice things!!!! I had no doubt in my mind until those last few chapters and I was like... This Aspen thing is gonna dun fuck everythang up! And then as soon as the attack started I was like oh no, Maxon is going to realize how much of a brat he was being and everything is going to be fine. (Jacque didn't look at the last page to see what happened... she would NEVER do that!!!)

message 46: by Marlene (new)

Marlene I am very disappointed in the ending of this book, and with both Maxon and America as characters. I am not crazy about an ending where main characters have to go through horrible life events to realize they should be with the person they actually want/love. America couldn't bring herself to be honest with her future spouse. I know she intended to do it, but she really should have come clean before he made his choice so he would feel fully informed. Maxon almost threw away their relationship in the heat of the moment and proposed to someone else out of spite. I kept waiting for Maxon to say that he wouldn't have gone through with it, but he admitted that he would have ruined both their lives away if not for facing down death during the rebel attack. Then, she wakes up from getting treated and they get engaged, probably later that same day.

I know drama makes a love story exciting and this is fiction, but it's just not believable to me that people could have that kind of conflict so close to making a life commitment. Also, his parents and her friends just died! I kept thinking that neither of these people had any business getting married and the ending felt kind of tragic to me.

I also agree with the poster who commented that killing off both the King and Anne was way too convenient a resolution to conflicts remaining at the end of the book. Queen Amberley's death was more poignant- my heart did break for her that she was never able to enjoy having a daughter-in-law.

Jacque Marlene wrote: "I am very disappointed in the ending of this book, and with both Maxon and America as characters. I am not crazy about an ending where main characters have to go through horrible life events to rea..."

That part didn't bother me quite so much because I figure they actually got married a week or two later because the way she described Maxon and Aspen being cool with each other it seemed that some time had passed. And besides that, if we ignore the convenience of the king and queen dying, they would need to establish a new King ASAP! So the quickness is pretty believable.
Now, Maxon being spiteful I think is just part of his character. America as well. She is a selfish character, she has selfless tendencies, but overall she is selfish. And Maxon had his feelings hurt and so to protect himself of course he was ready to get married to someone else who would make him happy in a mediocre way.

message 48: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Zuniga Reasons why the Deaths were for inconvenience:
1. Anne - she likes Aspen, but Aspen likes Lucy. So it was to avoid another silly love triangle. I personally thought that that would be interesting.
2. King Clarkson - of course, to make Maxon king and America will be able to marry Maxon freely.
3. Queen Amberly - like I said, to make Maxon king. If she was still alive, she would be in charge, not Maxon. But that really wasn't a reason to kill her off.
4. Celeste - I don't really know. Why would she kill off a bad character that has already gone good? Was it karma? Was it so she can't experience the lack of fame when the Selection ends? Again, not a reason to kill her.
5. Shalom - couldn't she have thought of another way to bring America home? Maybe Shalom could have been sick and America had to go home to take care of him and then he dies when America arrives, telling her that he's a Northern rebel, of course.

message 49: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Zuniga Oh, and to lighten up the mood, I liked the part when Maxon was almost attacked for spraying America's perfume on his handkerchief. Heehee! Just because she missed her smell. Awww, how adorbs! :3

Chelsi Even though I thought it was predictable, I liked the ending. However, I hated that both America and Aspen had a happy ending. I would have liked it better if Aspen had remained single. Frankly, Aspen annoyed me. If he'd died trying to protect America from the rebels or something like that, now that would have been interesting.
The sudden deaths of Shalom and Celeste, caught me quite off guard though. Shalom was one of my favourite characters and I was really warming up to Celeste. I relished the fact that the King was dead and that he could never raise a hand to hurt Maxon ever again. He clearly did not deserve such a good wife as Queen Amberly. That's just my opinion.
The love letters that Maxon had written to America were beyond sweet and adorable. I loved them. :3 If I was America, I would have had a complete meltdown at the thought of losing Maxon as well. I simply loved his character. :P
I also loved America's character. She was strong, a force to be reckoned with. She let her opinions be heard, and I don't care that people may think her decisions and actions were rash. I thought they were great decisions and her actions were out of the care and love she held for her country and the people around her. From the beginning I knew she would make a great queen and Aspen annoyed me to the fullest when he told her she couldn't.
I would've liked to hear more about their story after she and Maxon got married. I would have liked to hear how Gerad was now that he was finally allowed to give up on trying to be artistically inclined. I would have liked to know how America's family was doing at their new home and I would have loved see that America was doing a fantastic job, even though she may have been bit nervous and inexperienced, as the new queen, just to prove Aspen wrong. I would have liked to see what a great king Maxon was being and all he was doing for his people. I also wanted to get a taste of the changes that were happening in Illea. I wanted to see what a great nation Maxon and America would have tried their best to make in their time as rulers. :)

« previous 1