50 books to read before you die discussion

50 Books to Read BYD General > Movies Based on books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yuvnesh (new)

Yuvnesh Modi | 3 comments What was the best movie ever made based on books? My vote is for A Clockwork Orange.

message 2: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT Clockwork Orange is a great choice.

I am very partial to Gone with the Wind.

There is one book to movie choice that sticks out in my mind because I did not think they could make a movie of it. A River Runs Through it by Norman MaClean. I thought the slow moving lyricism of the book just could not be translated into a movie. Movies usually require more action, special effects and pace. The movie really captured the book I thought. I was stunned. I didn't think it could be done.

message 3: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Robert wrote: "There is one book to movie choice that sticks out in my mind because I did not think they could make a movie of it. A River Runs Through it by Norman MaClean. I thought the slow moving lyricism of the book just could not be translated into a movie. Movies usually require more action, special effects and pace. The movie really captured the book I thought. I was stunned. I didn't think it could be done."

I saw this movie several years before I read the book. The movie is good; the book is excellent. It really is a book you should read before you die.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) Ack! Just one...? I guess that would have to be Gone with the Wind. Really enjoyed the movie and read that monster of a book 5 times.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 35 comments Gone with the Wind is a great movie--awards, notoriety, scope, acting, etc. The book, however, includes so much more detail. Although people feel watching the movie is enough, the book is well worth the effort. I guess I would say that the movie is the best possible way of capturing the essence of the book in the time span allowed.

message 6: by Siarhei (new)

Siarhei (theuchau2u) | 46 comments Have you watched the Movie "Life of Pi"? I decided to read the book after the movie.

message 7: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Deacon | 2 comments It's so hard to just pick one! It has to be The Talented Mr Ripley. But I would say that Fight Club was a close second.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim Williamson | 66 comments I'm surprised no one has listed The Godfather. It's on so many lists. I have neither read nor seen it so I can't say whether it is actually worth all the hype.
The first couple of Harry Potter movies were fairly true to the books. My son was upset that Ron Weasley didn't have freckles.
Gone with the Wind was a cinematic masterpiece, even though they did leave a good deal of the book out(Scarlett's other children).
I need to read Little Women, but I loved the movie version with Winona Ryder. Same with Sense and Sensibility and the movie version with Emma Thompson.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (book_worm1928) | 6 comments To be honest I really love pride and the prejudice (the movie and bbc series) but I just really love the movie. And I know I'll frustrate so many people by saying Keira knightly's version is better then Collin firths well.... I know it's not as true to the book I should know I've read it like 100 times but I just love it. The romance, the social standards and a bit of drama...

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary Lou | 2 comments I loved The English Patient with Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas and Juliette Binoche. That was a complex book and the movie did it justice.
Also, To Kill a Mockingbird would get my vote!

message 11: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT I thought of a few more that deserve to be mentioned. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the Harry Potter series, the Lizsbeth Salander (Steig Larsson) ones and also the Hunger Games. The books were extremely enjoyable and the movies were equally so for me.

message 12: by Rennie (new)

Rennie Bottali (RennieBottali) | 10 comments I like harry porter series to read movie based books.